2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class (W213) w/Poll!

• Thread starter townha99
  • 74 comments

Which midsize luxury sedan would you take?

• Total voters
United States
California
townha99
This thread will follow everything about the upcoming E-Class, codenamed W213.. On December 8th, official pictures of the interior were released by Mercedes. In early January, official exterior shots were leaked.

Inside the E-Class, the interior has been extensively changed, and includes all new technology for the Mercedes brand. Some new features and large updates are listed below.

From GTSpirit.com " The all-new E-class Mercedes-Benz introduces touch pads on both sides of the steering wheel that are controllable using your fingers / thumbs. This means that your hands never have to leave the steering wheel when controlling the infotainment system."

Another major upgrade is the new optional Burmester 3D Surround Sound system. Featuring 23 speakers, and a total output of 1450 watts, it has the highest wattage and speaker count ever found before in an E-Class. The system also features an Easy Listening mode, that reduces fatigue while listening for extended periods of time.

One more class, and brand leading feature is the ambient lighting in the vehicle. While the S-Class currently features 7 colors, the upcoming E-Class will have 64 options for colors of lighting.

Like the S-Class, the E-Class features a digital dashboard. Regarding this, drivers will now be able to select from three different "themes" (Classic, Sport, and Progressive).

From Motor Authority: "The seats, for instance, were inspired by old dress forms. They have actual "shoulder" lines that almost appear human-shaped from certain angles. The cushion upholstery narrows and widens with the curves of the bolsters, far from the traditional square-cut Mercedes seats of yore."

Below are some official pictures of the interior and exterior.

2017-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-interior-1.jpg

2017-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-interior-4.jpg

2017-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-interior-6.jpg

2017-Mercedes-E-Class-Interior-Carscoops6.jpg

002-2017-mercedes-e-class-interior-1.jpg
007-2017-mercedes-e-class-interior-1.jpg
slide_0005.jpg

progressive.jpg
Screen-Shot-2015-12-08-at-3.05.jpg
Screen-Shot-2015-12-08-at-3.06.jpg
Screen-Shot-2015-12-08-at-3.09.jpg

327447-24-1000x-1.jpg

327447-12-1000x-1.jpg

327447-11-1000x-1.jpg

327447-6-1000x-1.jpg

327447-3-1000x-1.jpg

327447-2-1000x-1.jpg

327447-5-1000x-1.jpg

327447-18-1000x-1.jpg

327447-21-1000x-1.jpg

Edit 1: Friday, January 8th. Added exterior photos, edited OP.

Last edited:
I feel like that screen could be implemented a lot better. More flush with the rest of the dash would do it some good with less overhang.

That just looks so inviting, but if the exterior sticks closely to the current Mercedes trend, it's not going to look overly appealing to me.

I much prefer Mercedes with squarer styling.

I see they have come to their senses and stopped mounting the infotainment screens like it's an iPad glued to the dash and have gone back to the recessed look joined with the speedo. I like the accent lighting. Merc's interiors are getting really nice but their external styling has been questionable over the last few years. I liked the squarer styling we saw in the late 2000's.

I've always wondered with these digital dashboards, what happens if a fuse or a connector or whatever fails? Does the entire dashboard go dark or are there a bunch of failsafe systems to make sure at least parts of it remain operational?

Usually the E has been more conservatively styled than other Mercedes models in order to appeal to their existing customer base. I hope the melted rear end look goes away soon.

I see they have come to their senses and stopped mounting the infotainment screens like it's an iPad glued to the dash and have gone back to the recessed look joined with the speedo. I like the accent lighting. Merc's interiors are getting really nice but their external styling has been questionable over the last few years. I liked the squarer styling we saw in the late 2000's.

Seems like everyone liked Mercs squarer styling of the late 00's, yet used their money on Audis/BMWs :)

I've always wondered with these digital dashboards, what happens if a fuse or a connector or whatever fails? Does the entire dashboard go dark or are there a bunch of failsafe systems to make sure at least parts of it remain operational?

That's a very good question. I don't see how some of the dash could stay on if the whole LCD lost power.

I'm not a huge fan of that massive screen plonked on the dash, but overall it's a huge improvement over the current E-Class- looks properly luxurious, as a Merc should.

I do wonder how well these fancy digital gauges will age though, both in terms of maintenance and fashion.

E28
I'm not a huge fan of that massive screen plonked on the dash, but overall it's a huge improvement over the current E-Class- looks properly luxurious, as a Merc should.

I do wonder how well these fancy digital gauges will age though, both in terms of maintenance and fashion.

The simulated analogue dials on a flat screen do sometimes look tacky depending on how they have been styled. They very much are a fad at the moment and I also wonder how they will age.

As screens get better these ones are going to look terrible in a decade, for example most small screens pre the high pixel density era look really dated. Plus over time you will get dead pixels, light bleed etc especially in a cabin exposed to extreme temperature changes.

I personally like the charm of physical dials, there so much more that can be done aesthetically and you feel like more is 'going on'. The best ones for me are those which combine the two having digital elements mixed with the analogue, at least there is something nice to look at when the car is off.

You know, they might as well call it the C-"insert model nomenclature here" LWB, no one will notice.

No no, you've got it all wrong.

2015-Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-rear-profile.jpg

The shape of the license plate surround is completely different. Jeeeez.

You know, they might as well call it the C-"insert model nomenclature here" LWB, no one will notice.
Or S-'numbers' SWB.

Either way, this is going to make choosing the correct taxi Mercedes at airports and railway stations much more difficult than it used to be.

Not a fan... It's so similar to Merc's other saloons, and yet manages to be considerably less attractive. Especially so in comparison to some of its competitors (new XF, 5er, Ghibli)

Those analogue dials look pretty awkward too, the interior was obviously designed for the fancier all-digital dash.

So it looks like the C class but in a big/stretched and ugly way. I love the look of the latest line of the C class but this is not doing it, the bug eyes on the front looks wrong to me.

It looks way too much like the C class. At least the S class does look recognisably different. I really don't like the front, it looks squished in at the sides for some reason, the grille doesn't look wide enough. From the side the car looks like it's sagging at both ends :lol:. They are trying to make the rears Rolls Royce esque and it really doesn't work IMO.

The ridiculous pointy E class was pretty cool but you could injure yourself just by leaning on it!

Last edited:
What happened to the days of C and E class Mercedes actually looking good??

The previous iteration of both cars looked great, this does not...

I actually really like that interior, despite my earlier concerns about the LCD screen's long-term reliability.

That exterior though... looks as if they put a C-class in the scanner and set it to 110%.

I'm also unsure about how the AMG model will look like as there's absolutely nothing sporty about the fundamental design.

Oh no. I just remembered that there will be the inevitable E Coupe soon too, which will undoubtedly follow the looks of the C and S in that department too.

Even Audi has some slight differences going on with their current main lines. They all sort of looked the same, until Mercedes took it as some sort of challenge to have an even higher level of sameness across the board.

No quad headlight design? Boo....

Thank god my mother decided to keep her W212 (pre-facelift) E300 Avantgarde.

It's not hideous, but it's not pretty, either. Really kinda meh.

Hopefully the wagon and coupe/cabrio bring the pizzazz.

I think that's the ghastliest interior I've ever seen in a M-B. Like someone spaghetti-fied an iPad, stuck it in however they could make it fit, but forgot that there would also be models with smaller screens and physical gauges.

These big digital slabs in today's cars will be something we'll look back on in horror 10-20 years from now.

No quad headlight design? Boo....

Thank god my mother decided to keep her W212 (pre-facelift) E300 Avantgarde.

That was easily the best-looking E since the 124 and they ruined its standalone looks to make it look like the rest of the range.

The C has often been the shrunken S-class, whilst the E has often had its own style. I do not approve of this stretched C-class look.

XF_16MY_081_SP_LHD-MODEL_DISPLAY-desktop-1366x769_tcm76-181704_desktop_1366x769.jpg

JAGUARXF_S_Dynamic_04-GCBW-desktop-918x684_tcm76-146753_desktop_918x684.jpg

Still Jaag is prettiest middle size limo

I really like the lights. But it is underwhelming in looks. At least Audi has different headlight shapes, Jaag added pretty wierd headlights. Also this car, unlike competition, doesn't have design that gets better adding sportier rims or simply by time. But it's got the tech (even though it will be probably unbearable and unreliable in 10 years)

Can someone put up a poll for middle size limos here?

Last edited:
Back