Sharing My Learning Progression

• Thread starter FWS_666
  • 47 comments
United States
United States
mosinaddiction95
As you guys may know by my 300 posts a day, I'm learning and enjoying this game. I'm sure I'm starting to annoy some people, but I decided to make this thread so I can ask for tips as well as post my fastest lap times as I progress and discuss what I'm working on for certain days and such. Right now, I'm finally trying to learn how to use manual. I'm no newbu to manual transmissions. I've ridden dirt bikes since I was seven or so and used to race pretty frequently, plus my truck is a 4-speed manual. Trying to get used to using a manual in a game and getting good lap times is a whole different animal, though. So far, I've tried Tsukuba just to check where my times would be, and I was actually putting lap times down that were 1-2 seconds faster than the laps where I was using automatic. I found that I can put it in a higher gear in the corners and lug it through without getting oversteer on corner exit. I'm having trouble with focusing on hitting my lines and getting the correct braking and acceleration done while trying to remember to shift, though. It's either I hit the rev limiter from forgetting to shift or overshoot the turn because I'm trying to remember to downshift. I'm hoping that it will come with practice. If I'm already beating my previous times with the problems I'm having, then I should really excel once I get the hang of it. If you'd like, leave some tips or just follow this thread. I'll be posting at least every few days, but most likely every day or every other day. I'm really enjoying this game and I'd like to become good at it, so a lot of time will be put into it.

Tsukuba SLS AMG GT3 MT: 00:56.743
Tsukuba SLS AMG GT3 AT: 00:57.088

That was just two laps of me just getting on the track, doing a lap and switching.

Nice. Trust me, changing your transmission to manual and switching all aids off will improve your lap times and driving technique. Seeing as you're not used to MT, try setting the "Suggested Gear Display" on. Another little thing I've noticed is that it really helps to use the bumper cam when driving with manual transmission. The RPM and gear displays are closer to your center of vision, allowing you to make more precise shifting. It will all come with practice, for me it did, I just drove progressively more powerful cars around technical circuits and in 3-4 hours I could use MT no problem, and all that with no previous experience whatsoever. Good luck and have fun!

PS: Why do you think you're starting to annoy people?

I don't think you are enjoying anyone :), why dont you do the Time Trail events and have a few players on you friends list and see if you can beat their time and if not you can only do your best.

Nice. Trust me, changing your transmission to manual and switching all aids off will improve your lap times and driving technique. Seeing as you're not used to MT, try setting the "Suggested Gear Display" on. Another little thing I've noticed is that it really helps to use the bumper cam when driving with manual transmission. The RPM and gear displays are closer to your center of vision, allowing you to make more precise shifting. It will all come with practice, for me it did, I just drove progressively more powerful cars around technical circuits and in 3-4 hours I could use MT no problem, and all that with no previous experience whatsoever. Good luck and have fun!

PS: Why do you think you're starting to annoy people?

Thanks for the tips, man. I'll try that out. Not sure how well it will work because I suck in bumper cam and the HUD throws me off. I go by engine sound. Been driving manuals for so long that I know what to listen for, and for the most part, know what gear I should be in. It's just doing it while I'm trying to concentrate on going fast that screws me up. Lol I feel like I'm starting to annoy people because I post on here quite a few times a day, especially asking stupid questions.

I don't think you are enjoying anyone :), why dont you do the Time Trail events and have a few players on you friends list and see if you can beat their time and if not you can only do your best.

I'll try that out. I just got my game completely updated last night (finally), so I can play time trials. I don't think playing online in a lobby would be an option though, seeing as how slow my internet is. I just need to add some friends because I only have one friend on my account and he doesn't play racing games.

Hey @FWS_666 I will send a friend request to you later on 👍.

Alright, bud. Sounds good.

I finally got my game updated last night and played some seasonals today. Didn't do very well, but I did get up $2M which is the most I've ever saved up...then I impulsively bought the F1 car. I was bouncing back and forth between it and the Audi R18 Le Mans, and I figured the F1 would probably be more fun. I am getting better with the manual transmission. It's starting to become a subconscious thing, but I still do shift into too low or too high of gears on occasion. I also found out that the Shelby GT350 (not the R designation) is and absolute drifting beast. I threw on some small power mods to make its kick the back end out a little easier and hold it, as well as put comfort hard tires on it. Didn't even look for a tune. Third gear is perfect for drifting. I can't drift anything really, and yet I can hold a good angle on that car.

Alright, bud. Sounds good.

I finally got my game updated last night and played some seasonals today. Didn't do very well, but I did get up $2M which is the most I've ever saved up...then I impulsively bought the F1 car. I was bouncing back and forth between it and the Audi R18 Le Mans, and I figured the F1 would probably be more fun. I am getting better with the manual transmission. It's starting to become a subconscious thing, but I still do shift into too low or too high of gears on occasion. I also found out that the Shelby GT350 (not the R designation) is and absolute drifting beast. I threw on some small power mods to make its kick the back end out a little easier and hold it, as well as put comfort hard tires on it. Didn't even look for a tune. Third gear is perfect for drifting. I can't drift anything really, and yet I can hold a good angle on that car.
Drifting is not my cup of tea, I can not see the fun in drifting.

Drifting is not my cup of tea, I can not see the fun in drifting.

Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I used to not be a fan of it, but it's actually fun to be able to hold a car sideways. Definitely feels good when you get everything right. I don't see the fun in the little front wheel drive cars, but a lot of people enjoy them. I'm sure some day I may come around to that too, but for now, I like a car that you can actually steer instead of turning the wheel and having the car plow straight forward. Drifting is something I'd like to work on, but I'm more worried about getting my lap times down, because I'm more into racing than drifting. I'm a bit competitive and hate being slower than 99.9% of the people who play the game. Lol

Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I used to not be a fan of it, but it's actually fun to be able to hold a car sideways. Definitely feels good when you get everything right. I don't see the fun in the little front wheel drive cars, but a lot of people enjoy them. I'm sure some day I may come around to that too, but for now, I like a car that you can actually steer instead of turning the wheel and having the car plow straight forward. Drifting is something I'd like to work on, but I'm more worried about getting my lap times down, because I'm more into racing than drifting. I'm a bit competitive and hate being slower than 99.9% of the people who play the game. Lol
Getting you lap times down, it is only one word for that is practise.

I try to study racing sites and stuff as much as possible so I know a good bit of information, but it hasn't really helped too much.
Just keep doing races and like I said keep practising, another thing you can do and I still do this, go and do some Time Trials in the Arcade mode and see if you can beat your time 👍.

@FWS_666 if you like doing TT's and want to become a faster racer in the least amount of time (IMO, but there is a long history of documented success) you should look into joining the WRS by checking out the link in my signature.

@FWS_666 if you like doing TT's and want to become a faster racer in the least amount of time (IMO, but there is a long history of documented success) you should look into joining the WRS by checking out the link in my signature.

Sounds interesting, but I looked through what you have to do and seen that you have to send in a replay and I have no way to record or anything and I haven't found any way to share your replays on the game. If I can figure out how to do it I may send in an application.

You don't need any recording equipment but you do need some type of USB thumb drive to export the replay file from the PS3 and import it to a device to be compressed (zip) before its attached to a GTPlanet conversation.

Instructions for Registration Submission:
  • To submit your registration, start a new conversation with WRSFetchBot (Subject title: GTP_WRS Registration)
  • Provide your PSN ID and country details, exactly like this (case sensitive):

PSN: GTP_EDK

Then attach any 'Best Lap'/'Ghost' replay in zip file form. This replay is for verification of your submitted PSN ID. The car and track contents do not matter. These are the replay requirements -

• The replay must be a 'Best Lap/Ghost' Replay
  • The run must be completed while you are signed into the PSN Network
  • The PSN ID must match the PSN listed in the message body (GTP_Tag is no longer required)
  • The attachment will need to comply with forum file size limits. You will know if this is the case, as the forum will not allow you to upload a file that is too large

Here is a link to a video that gives detailed instructions on everything you need to know in steps 3-6.
Step 3 is outdated and covers many things that are no longer required for saving your best lap/ ghost replay via a time trail in Arcade mode. Just remember only 1 replay is needed and the car and track do not matter because its only used to verify your PSN ID.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sorry for not posting, fellas. Had a long weekend and yesterday I just felt like relaxing. Update: Shifting for me on this game is now second nature. Definitely feel like I'm getting faster on this game, and now that I have the 200% money boost, I can buy more cars and have more fun. Right now I'm trying to decide on a car, or a couple of cars, in the $1M-$2M range. Bought a Le Man's car and have decided I don't like them. I like GT cars the most still, but have no idea on what to buy. I'm kinda looking at rally cars, but I don't feel like the way they drive is realistic. Seems like instead of getting all of your braking done before the corner, you have to brake hard into the corner to get the car to rotate and then exit. I've looked at the FXX and Veyron, but most of the production cars I've driven lock up easy or understeer severely into corners and oversteer out. Don't want to spend $2M for that. Anyways, I'll do some time trials tonight and post some lap times in different cars on different tracks.

I can buy more cars and have more fun. Right now I'm trying to decide on a car, or a couple of cars, in the $1M-$2M range. Bought a Le Man's car and have decided I don't like them. I like GT cars the most still, but have no idea on what to buy. I'm kinda looking at rally cars, but I don't feel like the way they drive is realistic. Seems like instead of getting all of your braking done before the corner, you have to brake hard into the corner to get the car to rotate and then exit. I've looked at the FXX and Veyron, but most of the production cars I've driven lock up easy or understeer severely into corners and oversteer out.

Hi FWS_666 - good to hear that you are enjoying the game. A few random thoughts

I don't know what tyres you are using, but I find that the feel of cars changes a lot depending on the tyres and some that I didn't like at first can feel good on a different tyre - particularly one with less grip. I tested all the premium rally cars recently and thought they felt better on sports mediums rather than the race hards which come as standard.

I like cars that feel alive - what I mean by that is that they are on a bit of a knife edge. Some tunes will make the car feel dead. Cars that I have enjoyed the most - and therefore I think you should buy include (NB I use a force feedback wheel and I don't know how good they feel with a DS3 or non FFB wheels):

The Ford GT40 premium road car 1966 (I think that is the year) - I enjoy this so much that I've lost count of how many I have - with different replica paint schemes and setups, tyres etc. Try it stock with race hard rear tyres and sports soft front tyres. I have a tune which makes it feel great on sports hard - just on the right side of being out of control! I will share this if you are interested.

The Shelby Cobra 427 is another car that I have multiples of. Use the Praiano tune as it makes this car feel great. Probably the best car for cockpit view in GT6.

The LCC Rocket feels fantastic on stock settings with comfort hard or comfort medium tyres - it has far too much grip on its standard tyres.

I've had a lot of fun recently with the Toyota 2000GT 1967. Fit race soft suspension, tweak the LSD to your preference and give it all the tuning parts except fit a sports exhaust and set the sound to external - that is the only sound that is right for a straight six. Fit comfort medium tyres and try Deep Forest forward and reverse - it's brilliant! Sadly the seasonal at Deep Forest has now finished, but the Toyota was perfect for the recent intermediate seasonal at about 460PP and on comfort tyres.

The Alpine A110S (premium) and Renault 8 Gordini must be two of the most enjoyable cars in the game. The Chevrolet Corvette C2 Z06 race car 1963 is a bit of a handful with 629bhp in stock form after an oil change. Fit chassis reinforcement, but leave the car stock and change the standard race hard tyres for sports hard ones - it will feel alive and will need almost constant corrections to get it round the track, which gives a very satisfying feeling. The less grippy tyres make this easier because they break away more slowly giving you more time in which to input a correction.

The Toyota 7 is a great car to drive - very enjoyable on race hard tyres and you can use it to win the Historic races. It has a lot of turbo lag and wheelspin. Other very enjoyable cars on race hards are the Schulze Nissan GTR and the Gilet Vertigo - fit the high pressure turbo, set the gearing for 224mph and go to Trial Mountain using race hards and bonnet view. As it goes over the crest the combination of speed, acceleration and high rear downforce will leave you looking at the sky and the front wheels will come down just in time for hard braking for the left turn up the hill.

Final thoughts - find your own way of enjoying the game - there is no right or wrong way and don't get disheartened by the speed / times of other people. Some of the people who play GT6 including some who post on GTPlanet are capable of ridiculously fast lap times (they were probably born with a DS3 in their hands!) - not everyone can be Lewis Hamilton, but everyone can enjoy driving and racing.

Hi FWS_666 - good to hear that you are enjoying the game. A few random thoughts

I don't know what tyres you are using, but I find that the feel of cars changes a lot depending on the tyres and some that I didn't like at first can feel good on a different tyre - particularly one with less grip. I tested all the premium rally cars recently and thought they felt better on sports mediums rather than the race hards which come as standard.

I like cars that feel alive - what I mean by that is that they are on a bit of a knife edge. Some tunes will make the car feel dead. Cars that I have enjoyed the most - and therefore I think you should buy include (NB I use a force feedback wheel and I don't know how good they feel with a DS3 or non FFB wheels):

The Ford GT40 premium road car 1966 (I think that is the year) - I enjoy this so much that I've lost count of how many I have - with different replica paint schemes and setups, tyres etc. Try it stock with race hard rear tyres and sports soft front tyres. I have a tune which makes it feel great on sports hard - just on the right side of being out of control! I will share this if you are interested.

The Shelby Cobra 427 is another car that I have multiples of. Use the Praiano tune as it makes this car feel great. Probably the best car for cockpit view in GT6.

The LCC Rocket feels fantastic on stock settings with comfort hard or comfort medium tyres - it has far too much grip on its standard tyres.

I've had a lot of fun recently with the Toyota 2000GT 1967. Fit race soft suspension, tweak the LSD to your preference and give it all the tuning parts except fit a sports exhaust and set the sound to external - that is the only sound that is right for a straight six. Fit comfort medium tyres and try Deep Forest forward and reverse - it's brilliant! Sadly the seasonal at Deep Forest has now finished, but the Toyota was perfect for the recent intermediate seasonal at about 460PP and on comfort tyres.

The Alpine A110S (premium) and Renault 8 Gordini must be two of the most enjoyable cars in the game. The Chevrolet Corvette C2 Z06 race car 1963 is a bit of a handful with 629bhp in stock form after an oil change. Fit chassis reinforcement, but leave the car stock and change the standard race hard tyres for sports hard ones - it will feel alive and will need almost constant corrections to get it round the track, which gives a very satisfying feeling. The less grippy tyres make this easier because they break away more slowly giving you more time in which to input a correction.

The Toyota 7 is a great car to drive - very enjoyable on race hard tyres and you can use it to win the Historic races. It has a lot of turbo lag and wheelspin. Other very enjoyable cars on race hards are the Schulze Nissan GTR and the Gilet Vertigo - fit the high pressure turbo, set the gearing for 224mph and go to Trial Mountain using race hards and bonnet view. As it goes over the crest the combination of speed, acceleration and high rear downforce will leave you looking at the sky and the front wheels will come down just in time for hard braking for the left turn up the hill.

Final thoughts - find your own way of enjoying the game - there is no right or wrong way and don't get disheartened by the speed / times of other people. Some of the people who play GT6 including some who post on GTPlanet are capable of ridiculously fast lap times (they were probably born with a DS3 in their hands!) - not everyone can be Lewis Hamilton, but everyone can enjoy driving and racing.

I own the Shelby Cobra 427, but don't have a tune for it. I have quite a bit of saving to do before I can buy the For GT40. I just bought both the Renault R8 and Alpine 110 that you suggested. I love driving these kinds of cars for fun, but I don't use them for the career races. Lol I make too many mistakes for that.

I own the Shelby Cobra 427, but don't have a tune for it. I have quite a bit of saving to do before I can buy the For GT40. I just bought both the Renault R8 and Alpine 110 that you suggested. I love driving these kinds of cars for fun, but I don't use them for the career races. Lol I make too many mistakes for that.
Look in GT6 Tuning Forum Database for the Shelby Cobra 427 there is a few in there.

Favorite car is the Ford Mustang SVT Cobra, the BMW M3 GTR is a fun one, and an older car i've just found that is one of my favorites is the 1952 Abarth 1500 Biposto Bertone B.A.T.1. If you're learning it will be easier on you if you pick a slower car and put a lot of laps on one track with it. You'll learn both the track and the car, then you can step it up to a faster car, or a different drivetrain. The next track you pick will be easier because you'll have learned what you need to know about how to attack a track, finding your braking points, etc. Buy suspension and transmission and learn how to make the car drive the way you want it to. Drive QM's and Seasonals to make money, they pay well and also help you learn. Run the Missions to drive the cars in them, lets you try out some cars before you buy it, you might find some you like. On a personal note, i've been playing since GT3 and i'm still learning. I lost most of the sight in my right eye about a year and a half ago. The sliver of vision I do have is peripheral, which gives me focus issues. When I race online, I try to stay out of people's way and drive clean. This is the only driving I get to do now, so I get all the fun I can out of it. Intensity=Fun for me, but when I hit that first turn on the Indy QM and cars start sliding across my screen, my focus goes haywire and I become mistake prone. I have to accept that as a limitation and work around it the best I can. I will wreck myself to keep from hitting a car, even though that car or me would ghost and there wouldn't be any contact anyway. I don't win many, but I get a lot of satisfaction out of the ones I get. We all play the game for our own reasons, Listen to these guys, I have been since GT3 and I can tell you, they know their stuff. Have fun man, have fun.

Well, guys, not sure I'll be able to post updates for a week or so. Babysitting a couple of dogs for my brother while they're at the beach and I'm staying at his house. I brought my PlayStation, but I don't think I can bring my wheel and pedals. I may try tomorrow, in going back to my house for a little while to see my reptiles and get some sharpening stones and knives, and maybe the wheel and pedals. I'm ready to race my Corvette C6 ZR1 LM Race Car. Lol

Quick update:

I am having waaaayyyy too much fun with the Lotus 97T. Really wanting to get a better wheel and pedals along with buying a H-pattern shifter. Seems like it'd really up the fun factor. Maybe I'll sell a gun or something and invest in one. Anyway, definitely more comfortable with my abilities in this game. I know I'm not very fast, but I feel like with more practice, I can at least become average. Right now I've been doing a lot of TT's with the Lotus. Learned that it is helpful to keep it a gear higher than you think you need to in that car in the corners so that you stay out of the boost until the straight and it also keeps your momentum up.

Been playing a lot online. Man, I'm slow. Last in every race but one. That'll kill yout confidence.

Last night I invested in a TS030 to finish the last event in IA and to hopefully finally play the S series. The thing is, I can't beat the last license test. Ive tried with assists, without, different lines, braking points, hell, I even tried throwing the Bugatti around the corners with the e-brake to get it to turn and i just cant beat it. Only made two laps that I didnt go flying off the track, and my best one was about 2.5 seconds off pace. Pretty pissed because I really want to play the S events. In other news, I was feeling like I was getting a bit of understeer with the TS030, so I messed with the front end camber and aeros, and that got rid of it. Then i felt I was getting a bit too much oversteer on low speed, flat out corners, tinkered with the rear end aeros and the car feels perfect for my style. I can post the tune if anyone wants it. Im no tuning master and I didn't do much to it at all, just aero and camber, like I said, but maybe it could help out another slower driver who's also new to tuning and doesn't want to change the whole tune of thr car.

Last night I invested in a TS030 to finish the last event in IA and to hopefully finally play the S series. The thing is, I can't beat the last license test. Ive tried with assists, without, different lines, braking points, hell, I even tried throwing the Bugatti around the corners with the e-brake to get it to turn and i just cant beat it. Only made two laps that I didnt go flying off the track, and my best one was about 2.5 seconds off pace. Pretty pissed because I really want to play the S events.

I did not like that test at all. I think it took me several tries to get bronze, then the better part of an hour with a clear, peaceful mind to get the gold. I love Ascari, but the Bugatti is a dog.

It might be a little different with a wheel (DS3 here), but two things really helped me. First, be 'slow in, fast out'. That boat won't turn - it's all engine. Being off throttle a little longer than you would be in other cars won't kill you since it's going to separate the asphalt from the earth whenever you give it the gas. Also, if you look at the driving line aid, there's a sweeper or two where it indicates that you should do some significant braking, and it's wrong (the line often lies about this). Nail the turn in with just enough braking for weight transfer and COAST! I wish I had done this recently enough to remember which ones, but I seem to remember one around the halfway point and then one of the last corners. Hopefully I'm not misleading you here. When I was finally moving at a good clip for this test, I didn't feel like I was pushing at all.

Hope this helps, because the S-class races are the most fun I can find in the offline game. Races longer than 5 laps with weather, fuel consumption, and tire wear - I wish the whole career mode could be this way!

I did not like that test at all. I think it took me several tries to get bronze, then the better part of an hour with a clear, peaceful mind to get the gold. I love Ascari, but the Bugatti is a dog.

It might be a little different with a wheel (DS3 here), but two things really helped me. First, be 'slow in, fast out'. That boat won't turn - it's all engine. Being off throttle a little longer than you would be in other cars won't kill you since it's going to separate the asphalt from the earth whenever you give it the gas. Also, if you look at the driving line aid, there's a sweeper or two where it indicates that you should do some significant braking, and it's wrong (the line often lies about this). Nail the turn in with just enough braking for weight transfer and COAST! I wish I had done this recently enough to remember which ones, but I seem to remember one around the halfway point and then one of the last corners. Hopefully I'm not misleading you here. When I was finally moving at a good clip for this test, I didn't feel like I was pushing at all.

Hope this helps, because the S-class races are the most fun I can find in the offline game. Races longer than 5 laps with weather, fuel consumption, and tire wear - I wish the whole career mode could be this way!

I passed it about thirty minutes after that update. Lol I was cussing for a good while and ready to shoot my PS3, but I finally got it. I did not like the Bugatti at all. Doesn't seem like it should be $2M in the game. Lol the main thing I had to improve was my line choice. Since I'm used to cars that I can turn in late, I was trying to do the same with the Veyron. Once I tried turning in earlier, I got it within four or five tries.

I passed it about thirty minutes after that update. Lol I was cussing for a good while and ready to shoot my PS3, but I finally got it. I did not like the Bugatti at all. Doesn't seem like it should be $2M in the game. Lol the main thing I had to improve was my line choice. Since I'm used to cars that I can turn in late, I was trying to do the same with the Veyron. Once I tried turning in earlier, I got it within four or five tries.

Awesome! I figured maybe that car actually understeers that bad in real life so it's non-race license-holding owners don't spin it off the road whenever they want to feel that grunt. I don't know. I'll probably never even touch a real Bugatti. I can't even fathom that kind of pay grade.

I like this thread. I only bought a PS3 and GT6 last fall. I played it for about a month before my twins were born and it got shelved. I picked it back up about a month ago.

I got GT1 the day it came out way back in the 90s, and have played all numbered games in the series to near-completion (except 5 since I didn't have a PS3). The biggest game-changer for me was reassigning the gas and brake to R2 and L2 about a month back. Resisted the idea since I had played 'standard' for almost 20 years, but my lap times started falling right away. Significant improvements! Now I think I've got to get more comfortable with the MT since you've had so much success with it.

Awesome! I figured maybe that car actually understeers that bad in real life so it's non-race license-holding owners don't spin it off the road whenever they want to feel that grunt. I don't know. I'll probably never even touch a real Bugatti. I can't even fathom that kind of pay grade.

I like this thread. I only bought a PS3 and GT6 last fall. I played it for about a month before my twins were born and it got shelved. I picked it back up about a month ago.

I got GT1 the day it came out way back in the 90s, and have played all numbered games in the series to near-completion (except 5 since I didn't have a PS3). The biggest game-changer for me was reassigning the gas and brake to R2 and L2 about a month back. Resisted the idea since I had played 'standard' for almost 20 years, but my lap times started falling right away. Significant improvements! Now I think I've got to get more comfortable with the MT since you've had so much success with it.

Honestly, I'd suggest getting a wheel. You can get a T80 for $90 at GameStop. It makes it a ton more fun and will make you a lot faster. The manual transmission is tricky to learn. Not sure if it's because it isn't as immersive as driving a real car (obviously), but I kept forgetting to shift. Lol it does make the gane a lot more fun and makes you faster.

Made a quick video to show generally what you can do on S-5 with the Veyron without TC.

Key points to take in are:

It's very heavy - Braking hard puts a lot of weight on the front tires, trail braking will overload them and cause the car to understeer, shifting weight is very important to get the car to behave how you want.
It's 4WD - This means that you can be very aggressive, accelerate hard whenever you can and abuse that extra grip, when you brake hard on to your front tires, you can use acceleration to get off them and get your turning back. This feels quite similar to rally.
It's rear biased - I'm saying it's somewhere around 35:65 - 30:70, this means you still have a little RWD characteristics if you push it. Combined with the other two points, this means you can brake hard early then when you approach the corner, let off the brakes, turn in hard and floor the accelerator to power slide around the corner to kill understeer and because it's 4WD you can recover cleanly with those powered front wheels.
Cut corners - Despite the disqualification for running off, there's actually quite a lot of leanience for cutting as demonstrated on the starting little chicane, you can get your inside wheels on the grass and that'll both cut the distance you need to travel and torque steer out the understeer.
Relax - This is the most important. A lot of time is wasted when you either overcorrect and throw the car way off balance meaning you'll take longer to get on the power, or take the corner too nervously and fail to utilise the whole track. Trust the car will behave how it should and power through it, if you go off track then just dial it back a touch each time on that section until you pass it, eventually you'll hit all the clipping points and get a fast time for that section. Overcorrecting when you overshoot teaches you nothing about how the car reacts to the corner, take the corner with full commitment and if you run off, let it be as now you have more info on why it went wide, whether it's too much speed, overloading the tires and understeering, or just grip not coming back quite when you expected.

Honestly, I'd suggest getting a wheel. You can get a T80 for $90 at GameStop. It makes it a ton more fun and will make you a lot faster. The manual transmission is tricky to learn. Not sure if it's because it isn't as immersive as driving a real car (obviously), but I kept forgetting to shift. Lol it does make the gane a lot more fun and makes you faster.

I've begun planting the wheel and stand seeds with the wife. She pulls in a lovely bonus at year-end, so I might angle for the new T150 for Christmas. Lots of research left to do, though. I'm sure it makes the MT easier and feels more natural. Until then, I'm rather hamstrung by diaper and baby food budgets.

On the fence about 3 pedals over 2. I don't drift, and I'm used to clutchless upshifts from riding motorcycles for so long (used to be the parts and service manager of a Triumph dealership), so I don't know if a big-money setup would be worth it for me.

Back