350Z vs 370Z

• Thread starter Thomasss95
  • 21 comments
Netherlands
The Netherlands
Hey,

I would like to make a new drift car.
A lot of you seem to use the 350Z and 370Z.
So I would like to test it out.

What car is better (and easier) to drift with in your opinion?
It would be nice if you post the tune you like it most with! :)
Pictures of you Z are welcome too, so I have some inspiration for the paint and rims. ;)

EDIT: I use a DS3 for drifting!

Thomas

Last edited:
I like them both very much but i prefer the 370z for some reason.
picture.php

picture.php

The 370 weighs only 10kg more after weight reduction than its younger sister but it has more torque, more power and a higher RPM, so for me it's the superior car 👍

plus she's prettier

I prefer the 350 for control, over the 370. (Because Function > Form.) But as said before, the 370 IS prettier. ;)

I like the 350, it's longer and feels nicer to throw around. The 370 is probably the better of the two though, mainly due to the power and ease of drift initiation. I still love the 350 though, I like my cars with a bit longer wheel base.

Edit, you guys looking for tunes should really say what type of controller you're using, a wheel or DS3? Tunes are different for the both!

Thanks for all the reactions!
Nice pictures JustDrift893, I like the look of the dark blue 370Z!

I edited the main post, so you can see I use a DS3.
There are A LOT of tunes for both cars...
Too much, I don't know what tune to use.

So, if you have a nice (and easy) tune for one of the two, let me know!
More opinions are still welcome. ;)

350Z. The wider tread and shortness of the 370z makes it less advantageous for smooth cornering. However, these problems are marginal, and unless you're a very good drifter AND tuner, it will likely not make a difference to you, and there are easier ways to improve your drifting than picking and trying to tune the "better" one.

That being said, the best Z for drifting is the Z33 Premium, followed by the Nismo S tune (not the Z tune!), The Gran Turismo 350Z RS, and the Opera Z. All will need to be tuned in their own special way, but they're all better than the 370Z, in my opinion. The higher-revving, more square, and tighter chassis are all useful for circuit racing, but are detrimental to the predictability of the car when drifting. I've tuned and drifted every Z in the game at some point, and this is the conclusion I arrived at.

Overall I find the later Zs to be highly under-powered and heavy, and require more precise tuning than most cars. The best of them, by far, is the S30 with its narrow tires, light body, great torque band and good proportions. Unfortunately, it is also the hardest to tune.

Of all generations:

S30 is the Best
S130
Z33
Z32
Z34
Z31 is the worst.

S30 is the hardest to tune.
S130
Z31
Z32
Z34
Z33 is the easiest to tune.

Most of the S30/S130's tune is getting the most out of its meager offerings, but it has a high threshold for performance. This makes it by far harder to tune (as you have to be able to drive it fantastic in order to tune it any better, any further improvement in traction and power would otherwise slow it down) as opposed to the Z33 or Z34, which drift without much tuning and are more or less have tunes to match the driver's style than anything else, regardless of skill level.

If you're insane and only care about pure speed in drifting, use the Amuse 380RS Superleggera. It has more issues with tuning, but between the downforce and sheer grip, it's by far the fastest and silliest of all of the Zs.

Last edited:
I prefer the 350 for control, over the 370. (Because Function > Form.) But as said before, the 370 IS prettier. ;)

I thought drifting was all about Form > Function ;)

But in seriousness I prefer the way the 70 handles, can't really explain why but it feels more me

So perhaps it's more down to personal preference than facts and figures

So perhaps it's more down to personal preference than facts and figures

I would usually consider personal preference part of a driver's skill and ability to drift. It's like taking into account a drifter's style in trying to tune a car. What is not an optimal tune may be faster and more reliable because of a drifter's different preferences for how a car is configured.

But the greatest differences between the similar cars (Z33 and Z34) are very small. So small that even the differences in style or tuning between drifters will make more of an impact than choosing between the two similarly tuned cars. It makes sense that differences in personal preference would overwhelm any minor performance improvement, however, if a drifter is precise and careful enough, when achieving a certain goal, those differences will become more important compared to differences in personal preference.

Basically, the more and more a drifter improves toward a goal (whether that is impressing people, or taking a corner at a certain speed, or increasing the angle without losing speed), the less their personal preference matters in comparison to the small tuning and vehicle specifics that could raise their limit of performance. Basically, how much are you willing to sacrifice for a little more performance? Are you willing to change your driving style? Are you willing to choose and uglier car that may be slower in other circumstances?

I have always been of the opinion that if there is greater performance and reliability to be found in another car or tune, although it's differences necessitate a change in personal preference or ability, then the driver must change his preference, skill, or ability in order to improve to the utmost, and if they do not, then they should recognize that they are not achieving everything they can. That is fine, not everyone is out there to squeeze every little bit of performance out of their car, but I have a fanatical devotion to driving, and drifting, and I can't live with myself if I do not understand every aspect of the car and how to improve. That's why I drift the S30, instead of a Z33. But I do use the Z33 occasionally.

In this case, the Z33 seems to have a higher threshold for performance as a consistent, reliable, fast drift car, mostly due to its shape, tread size, and chassis stiffness compared to the 370z. I spent a lot of time deciding to use it over the Z34, and I trust my research on it.

That's what this thread is about, really. Does the tiny differences between the Z33 and Z34 result in an 'optimal' style that is better in one than the other? And if so, how do we achieve it? When does this small difference matter more than your personal preference in trying to improve? That's what I think this thread is getting at, the 350z and 370z are just really good examples of that.

But yeah, Z33 all the way. If you are good enough that in order to improve you need/are willing to sacrifice any personal preference toward the Z34, then pick the Z33. If not, then it won't matter which one you pick because they're so similar that any differences will be marginal.

Last edited:
Err I like the 370z for some reason but when I try and drift it, the handling is super weird on my wheel I guess this car needs a different setup.

Thanks for the great help all!

GhostZ, I would like to try out a S30...
Is it premium or standard?

Standard. There's both a JDM Fairlady 240ZG S30 Z and a EUDM 240ZG in the game. They're identical.

I've given mine extensive and careful tuning, so good luck getting yours to work.

From what i've noticed by drifting various zed's are their different engine peaks and wheel spins. The Z33 I think has more "kick" in engine response and wheel spin compared to the Z34.
I'd personally go with the Z33 (350z) over the Z34 (370z)

Last edited:
Standard. There's both a JDM Fairlady 240ZG S30 Z and a EUDM 240ZG in the game. They're identical.

I've given mine extensive and careful tuning, so good luck getting yours to work.

I will look for one in the UCD.
Is it possible that I would try out your tune? :)

Completely the same, as far as I know. They tune to the same specs, not sure if there are slight differences in stock form.

Completely the same, as far as I know. They tune to the same specs, not sure if there are slight differences in stock form.

You say, one is Japanese and one is European made/marketed? I guess there will be one noticeable difference... The European one would be left hand drive, while the Japanese would be right hand drive, right? Just a thought.

You say, one is Japanese and one is European made/marketed? I guess there will be one noticeable difference... The European one would be left hand drive, while the Japanese would be right hand drive, right? Just a thought.

Oddly enough, I don't believe that is the case in the game.

With the 240Z, the only differences between USDM, EUDM, and JDM are:

USDM: Larger fitted chrome bumpers (later switched to rubber on the 280z) LHD
EUDM: LHD
JDM: RHD, optional DOHC S20 engine (The Kenmeri Skyline GT-R motor) in the Z432. Optional ZG body kit.

So while one is technically labled as EU/USDM in the game.... there are absolutely no differences. It still has the ZG body kit, and RHD. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure the only difference is the name.

On a side note, what the S30 did for cars is fascinating. Four wheel independent suspension, the optional S20 engine, some with mechanical fuel injection, hemi-head 2.0L engine that produced 160HP while only weighing 200kg, putting it in a car that weighed about 1000kg with it in to make the Z432. The original Z had more power, less weight than a 2000GT, was made in larger numbers... And, adjusting for inflation, cost 20,000$ today as opposed to the 2000GT's extremely high price tag... it was extremely ahead of its time technologically and economically.

Last edited:
Back