Turn 10 Unpacks the Ford GT Order Kit, Invites Community To Help With Design

I helped pay for that! As buyer of Forza 1-6 and Horizon 2-3.

Would have been more interesting as a snap together 1/24 scale model.

The box and contents are very beautiful, I don't think it's on the level of opulence you would see from someone like Ferrari for example but it does the job. As @Keluna touched on, a model that you can assemble would have been nice with all the parts from the available options and colours included.

I have to wonder whether Hartman got chosen fair and square or there was some nepotism going on here. What a coincidence that the boss of Turn 10, a company who makes a video game which practically peddled the GT, get's chosen as a customer from a seemingly open wide selection process. If I were other rejected applicants with equally worthy motoring credentials I'd be pretty annoyed. Top 500 most car person in the world, doubtful.

The box and contents are very beautiful, I don't think it's on the level of opulence you would see from someone like Ferrari for example but it does the job. As @Keluna touched on, a model that you can assemble would have been nice with all the parts from the available options and colours included.

I have to wonder whether Hartman got chosen fair and square or there was some nepotism going on here. What a coincidence that the boss of Turn 10, a company who makes a video game which practically peddled the GT, get's chosen as a customer from a seemingly open wide selection process. If I were other rejected applicants with equally worthy motoring credentials I'd be pretty annoyed. Top 500 most car person in the world, doubtful.

Probably, but at the end of the day, what can we do? Unless someone complains to Ford about it, musing about it on a message board just seems to be pointless.

1st world problems:sly:

It's hard to pin down exactly what a car person is, at least exact enough so you can classify who is and who isn't in a bureaucratic fashion. That said, Ford has obviously not taken that as seriously as you or I would imagine. It's not like they ask trivia questions so they assign the GT to knowledgeable people or asses if the person has any level of mechanical sympathy/knowledge so he can fully appreciate the car he is getting. They just care about da hypez. I mean, for 🤬's sake, they're giving them to YouTubers!

Us GT fans (or ex-GT fans for that matter :lol:) can only dream about this level of community/developer relationships!

It's hard to pin down exactly what a car person is, at least exact enough so you can classify who is and who isn't in a bureaucratic fashion. That said, Ford has obviously not taken that as seriously as you or I would imagine. It's not like they ask trivia questions so they assign the GT to knowledgeable people or asses if the person has any level of mechanical sympathy/knowledge so he can fully appreciate the car he is getting.

I read the questionnaire they put together for the GT application was actually surprised how many questions they asked. They wanted to know about your car collection, any car organisations or charities you belong to, racing, contributions to the automotive world etc etc. so on the face of it they did put some thought into the process of how they would pick applicants. Then...

They just care about da hypez. I mean, for 🤬's sake, they're giving them to YouTubers

Maybe that happened :lol: It will be interesting to see who they all end up with.

Ferrari sends you a box as well; it just contains the key to the car & that's it. Of course, Ferrari also has a Tailor-Made program, so it'd have be a big box. :P
The article says he went through the application process like everyone else & that he wanted it the day he saw it 2 years ago under its code name. Sounds like a pretty deserving guy unlike Schmee who will just whore the car out to YouTube or Amy Macdonald who openly admits she had never even driven a Ford before; she just sent in an application once she heard about it.

I read the questionnaire they put together for the GT application was actually surprised how many questions they asked. They wanted to know about your car collection, any car organisations or charities you belong to, racing, contributions to the automotive world etc etc. so on the face of it they did put some thought into the process of how they would pick applicants. Then...Maybe that happened :lol: It will be interesting to see who they all end up with.

That's what irks me. If they had just gone on saying "We're giving the 500 cars to whoever we damn please" it would've been fine. They ended up doing exactly that but they masked it with this "true car guy" criteria, something that even offended prospective owners because they were deemed by ford as not true car guys while "OMG HE HAS ONE MILLION VIEWS" people did get it. And I can't blame them: if I had the money and Ford just told me a Minecraft YouTuber is more of a car guy than I am I'd tell them to 🤬 off, buy a previous Ford GT and spend a stupid amount of money making it pound-for-pound better than the new one just to rub it in. Of course, that's in the ideal world where I have money for all my crazy ideas.

Ferrari sends you a box as well; it just contains the key to the car & that's it. Of course, Ferrari also has a Tailor-Made program, so it'd have be a big box. :P

The article says he went through the application process like everyone else & that he wanted it the day he saw it 2 years ago under its code name. Sounds like a pretty deserving guy unlike Schmee who will just whore the car out to YouTube or Amy Macdonald who openly admits she had never even driven a Ford before; she just sent in an application once she heard about it.

I strongly disagree.

amy-macdonald-690750791.jpg

I SOOOOOOOOO want to see her driving a Ford GT.

or Amy Macdonald who openly admits she had never even driven a Ford before; she just sent in an application once she heard about it.

Cute girl says some occasional car things and that makes her worthy!? I don't even understand how she is wealthy enough to afford one seeing as I have never seen or heard her music being sold or played anywhere. I saw her that one time on TG years ago and that was it! Maybe she's just really big in Scotland.

Ford shouldn't have even bothered with the application process and just gone full invite only like many other supercar releases, no shame in that. Just don't pretend your assessing people on serious automotive merits.

At the end of the day, the "non car enthusiasts" will eventually sell them to the real Ford Enthusiasts/Collectors.

This car is all about brand awareness for Ford, so it pays for them to give some to celebrities etc. Ford wants this car to be seen not stored in a collector's garage.

Cool kit and I like how Alan Hartman has shared the opening with us (even though it was intended marketing anyway).

Back