Assetto Corsa Has Sold Over 1.4 Million Copies

Pretty suspicious of that number. As of a month or so ago most indications were around 100k copies total between PS4 and XBone. Granted it's hard to find accurate numbers for these things, but that's literally an order of magnitude between what was being reported a month ago.

Pretty suspicious of that number. As of a month or so ago most indications were around 100k copies total between PS4 and XBone. Granted it's hard to find accurate numbers for these things, but that's literally an order of magnitude between what was being reported a month ago.
Reported by who? I don't think Kunos have announced numbers before have they? Their new owners are a company you can buy shares in. There's an obligation to tell your shareholders this sort of thing.

Puzzling though. It wasn't in any software sales chart for very long. Maybe digital downloads have took off this gen?

It would nice to believe, but hard to, seeing Pcars sold like crazy in the weeks/months after release, and only recently passed the 2 million mark. But it would be nice for Kunos if true! 👍

Reported by who? I don't think Kunos have announced numbers before have they? Their new owners are a company you can buy shares in. There's an obligation to tell your shareholders this sort of thing.

Puzzling though. It wasn't in any software sales chart for very long. Maybe digital downloads have took off this gen?

There was a post in one of these threads back before Xmas that had a link to some console sales charts, both consoles together totalled just under 100k. Not sure how accurate it was or anything, just a huge difference between 100k and 1,000,000. But according to that article even DBDs numbers say only 400k on console, so there's a discrepancy somewhere.

There was a post in one of these threads back before Xmas that had a link to some console sales charts, both consoles together totalled just under 100k. Not sure how accurate it was or anything, just a huge difference between 100k and 1,000,000. But according to that article even DBDs numbers say only 400k on console, so there's a discrepancy somewhere.
100k seams extremely low especially as i was lead to believe that AC is competing with GT and Forza and gamers just go into the store and see a pretty car on the cover so buy it. On that bases I'm saying sales figures are actually 5.9 million.

AFAIK, there is no source outside of the devs themselves, or Sony/MS, that could possibly provide accurate console sales figures.

Yeah, it's all very strange.
  • There's DB's own numbers: over 300K on consoles, some time after release.
  • There's the Trend Online numbers: over 1.4 million on consoles and PC, as of last week.
  • There's estimates on PC numbers: hovering around 400K or so.
Either DB's site numbers are out of date, or Trend Online's numbers are inflated.

100k seams extremely low especially as i was lead to believe that AC is competing with GT and Forza and gamers just go into the store and see a pretty car on the cover so buy it. On that bases I'm saying sales figures are actually 5.9 million.

Well, if it's on the internetz then it must be true!

AFAIK, there is no source outside of the devs themselves, or Sony/MS, that could possibly provide accurate console sales figures.

Which is why I made it a point to say "granted it's hard to find accurate numbers for [console sales]" and "not sure how accurate it was" Nowhere did I say these were concrete numbers, just noted that the difference between 100k, 300k, and 1,000,000 is pretty large. Plus, on DBDs own page for the game it says:

Assetto Corsa – a Premium game, published by 505 Games in the console edition (PS4/XboxOne) and developed by the Italian team Kunos Simulazioni. Assetto Corsa sold, since its launch on console (late August), around 300,000 copies for a total revenue of € 8 million.

So I still stand by my :odd: at the 1,000,000 copies on console number. I could be wrong, of course, and will adjust my stance when provided with evidence that suggests I am indeed wrong.

I'd like to see a comment from Kunos, er, Digital Bros? On the 1.4 million number. I think they may say something, considering all of the hullabaloo around the acquisition.

Consider that we're over 3 years and 50+ million units into PS4 and there is still no GT title. The last GT sold 5M copies. 500k sales of a strong alternative seems plausible. AC did have a rough start on consoles though...

I'd like to see a comment from Kunos, er, Digital Bros? On the 1.4 million number. I think they may say something, considering all of the hullabaloo around the acquisition.

Consider that we're over 3 years and 50+ million units into PS4 and there is still no GT title. The last GT sold 5M copies. 500k sales of a strong alternative seems plausible. AC did have a rough start on consoles though...

If anything, I'd say the continued absence of GT on PS4—and the system's popularity versus the XB1—has been beneficial for the alternative racing games like PCARS and AC.

Had GT Sport launched before August 2016, I wonder how much less Assetto Corsa would've sold on that console.

What I find strange is, if there selling a million plus, times the price per copy, why are the selling there game to db for a just couple a million?

If anything, I'd say the continued absence of GT on PS4—and the system's popularity versus the XB1—has been beneficial for the alternative racing games like PCARS and AC.

Had GT Sport launched before August 2016, I wonder how much less Assetto Corsa would've sold on that console.
Oh no doubt, PD's loss (or at least absence) has been these other guys' gain. No way would I have AC if GT Sport came first. Even the May beta + November launch might have deterred me.

I wonder where AC would be now if they launched ver 1.11 in August (minus content that didn't exist yet) vs. what we actually got. I was turned off at first and practically abandoned the game. I think there was a lot of that. Along with the rough critical reception, that probably drove a lot of potential sales away.

Then again, from what I understand, PCars had an even more horrific start and went on to sell 2M copies, so :confused:

Oh no doubt, PD's loss (or at least absence) has been these other guys' gain. No way would I have AC if GT Sport came first. Even the May beta + November launch might have deterred me.

I wonder where AC would be now if they launched ver 1.11 in August (minus content that didn't exist yet) vs. what we actually got. I was turned off at first and practically abandoned the game. I think there was a lot of that. Along with the rough critical reception, that probably drove a lot of potential sales away.

Then again, from what I understand, PCars had an even more horrific start and went on to sell 2M copies, so :confused:

I'd rate them about on par in terms of on-release mess: I know other people had a whole pile of issues with PCARS, but I played it on release on XB1 and only had minor hiccups.

Yeah, those 2 million sales were undoubtedly helped by a complete lack of info on the next GT, IMO. Back then, there was no hint of news on GT Sport, which left PS4 players with Driveclub and... that's it. Even in 2016, as it inched towards the next sales milestone, it was largely in a class of one: there was no real fanfare about AC's imminent arrival in stores.

I'd rate them about on par in terms of on-release mess: I know other people had a whole pile of issues with PCARS, but I played it on release on XB1 and only had minor hiccups.
Also, I think I was actually thinking about Driveclub. Which also sold 2M units, incidentally. Much different sort of game and situation though, I'd say.

What I find strange is, if there selling a million plus, times the price per copy, why are the selling there game to db for a just couple a million?

Even if those sales numbers are reliable, they'll make far less per copy than most think.

Hmm, not sure you can call this impressive when the game was released on 3 platforms with a combined base of well over 100 million. How on earth did one site post a count of 1.4 million when the publisher doesn't even post such numbers, wishful thinking or more like fans trying to paint things rosier than they actually are? I mean based of the hype and comments on this site this game should have sold double that, but you know what reality is more strict than that. People shouting on a board means little to nothing in the grand scheme of things, what counts is what people who play the game and like it pass on by word of mouth.
I would have picked this up but the streams I witnessed and complaints about lack of online that made any sense and strange AI behavior left me to do other things with my hard earned cash. While it's probably better handling wise out of the box compared to PC, it was still broken upon release. I'll wait for a complete edition or something, hopefully more people buy it.
That said Forza 6 and Forza Horizon aren't what you'd call blockbuster sellers either, both of which are in the million seller range but if the publisher won't tout the numbers it's because they are below what they predicted and thus some shuffling will have to be done post haste. I mean I have both of the latest Forza's, Horizon 3 looks great and is fun at times but it's just not compelling, sort of like how Drive Club was kind of fun but not what you'd go beaming to someone about, something is just missing. I'm probably just worn out from sequelitis, some of these games come out too often and lose the reason for having excitement at all for them to arrive.
Loss of Scalebound is another big time bummer, a new IP gets cancelled in favor of middling older stuff that people are actually growing tired of seeing trotted out every couple of years, in Forza's case it's every year now. Thanks goodness I have everything, I'd be in the doldrums if I only had one system to play.

Congratulations to Kunos, they definitely deserve it. Assetto Corsa still has its flaws but it is a fantastic sim racer and for a game with essentially no marketing the sales numbers are impressive. I do think the sales PSN and XBL have had probably contributed to this number by quite a bit too, the game and season pass have been heavily discounted multiple times over the past few months so I think it is safe to assume that quite a few people picked the game up then.

Hopefully with the acquisition by Digital Bros Kunos have even more money to use and make the game even better.

Hmm, not sure you can call this impressive when the game was released on 3 platforms with a combined base of well over 100 million. How on earth did one site post a count of 1.4 million when the publisher doesn't even post such numbers, wishful thinking or more like fans trying to paint things rosier than they actually are? I mean based of the hype and comments on this site this game should have sold double that, but you know what reality is more strict than that. People shouting on a board means little to nothing in the grand scheme of things, what counts is what people who play the game and like it pass on by word of mouth.
No intense offended, but the whole, "based on the hype and comments on this site" thing is pure bollocks. To my recollection, everyone was quite clear about what AC was and was not. No one hyped the career mode, oversold the AI, graphics etc. People went out of their way, over and over, to say that the driving experience/FFB itself was the best thing about the game, sounds were decent, graphics so/so (personal taste of course) and much of the rest of the game was meh and personal taste would determine which parts of the game you liked or didn't like.

I would have picked this up but the streams I witnessed and complaints about lack of online that made any sense and strange AI behavior left me to do other things with my hard earned cash. While it's probably better handling wise out of the box compared to PC, it was still broken upon release. I'll wait for a complete edition or something, hopefully more people buy it.
That said Forza 6 and Forza Horizon aren't what you'd call blockbuster sellers either, both of which are in the million seller range but if the publisher won't tout the numbers it's because they are below what they predicted and thus some shuffling will have to be done post haste. I mean I have both of the latest Forza's, Horizon 3 looks great and is fun at times but it's just not compelling, sort of like how Drive Club was kind of fun but not what you'd go beaming to someone about, something is just missing. I'm probably just worn out from sequelitis, some of these games come out too often and lose the reason for having excitement at all for them to arrive.
Loss of Scalebound is another big time bummer, a new IP gets cancelled in favor of middling older stuff that people are actually growing tired of seeing trotted out every couple of years, in Forza's case it's every year now. Thanks goodness I have everything, I'd be in the doldrums if I only had one system to play.
Well, Don't think of Assetto as a game and you should be able to enjoy if you're bored of those othe games because the driving is sublime. The AI are not perfect but they're so bad thag it should prevent people from buying it. Also when something is broken it implies it doesn't work, Assetto was not broken on release. Lobbies coming soon too as well as the awesome sounding Scotland track. There are a few racing games out there now across all platforms, no one title is going to be an A+ In all areas.

No intense offended
Che? Lol

A little update.

So it made 7,9mi euros (300k units sold) til September 30. Then from October 1 to December 31 it made 1,2mi euros to a total of 9,1mi.
Being 505/DB, this only accounts for PS4/X1 copies.

With their numbers about steam increasing 100k between October/November 2016, and the large disparity with Steamspy (200k), this leads me to believe they are counting every product sale. That is, any item on Steam and PSN/Live market as well.

Those 600k sales missing couldn't possibly account for just a 1,2mi increase during holiday period.

Back