2017 Formula 1 Azerbaijan Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 952 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
The F1 circus moves below sea level for the Baku European European Azerbaijani Azerbaijan Grand Prix. Baku wasn't that well received, after a dull race with little overtaking and that was marred by team radio restrictions. However, once the 90-degree bends finish after turn 6, we are left with what is actually a fun track to drive, a spectacular scene to look at and of course, the longest flat-out run in F1. We are guaranteed a new winner this year, who will it be?
1493723824644.png

Baku City Circuit

First Race

Laps

Track Length
6.003 km (3.73 mi)

Race Length
306.049 km (190.170 mi)

Lap Record
1:46.485, Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) 2016

Tyre Allocation
Super-Soft, Soft, Medium

2016 Result
  1. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes)​
  2. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)​
  3. Sergio Perez (Force India)​

View attachment 655561
I'm most looking forward to seeing the new, much wider cars get through there. It even looks a bit narrower too.

Was literally about the post about this :lol:.

To be honest, I was kind of surprised we didn't have any incidents last year, or at least barely any. But with the much wider cars this year, a expect things to get somwhat "tasty" this time around...

Azerbaijan GP advert:

Hi, do you like watching Formula 1 race cars? Do you like watching a city praise itself for putting on an event? And do you like sleeping? What would you say if you had them all at the same time? Well this race is the race for you! Join us on June 25th to sleep through the Azerbaijan GP.

Last edited:
This race needs safety cars to be intresting, though to be fair I was surprised there was none last year I expect different this year.

While I don't much remember the race, I love the track. I do think it's really a lovely change. I wonder if the Azeri have put up their fake scrims on the buildings yet? :D

Oh then poor little F1 drivers complaining that it's too hard to pass backmarkers. :lol:
I think the rule should be simplified: when shown a blue flag, a driver has one lap to move aside. They should do so at the earliest possible opportunity, but also in such a way as to be safe. The FIA could designate areas around the circuit that it regards as ideal to move aside safely in. If a driver ignores three, they get a penalty.

I think the rule should be simplified: when shown a blue flag, a driver has one lap to move aside. They should do so at the earliest possible opportunity, but also in such a way as to be safe. The FIA could designate areas around the circuit that it regards as ideal to move aside safely in. If a driver ignores three, they get a penalty.
Not bad. I'd prefer it if they didn't have to get out of the way at all. If they get a blue flag they should not defend, then the other car can pass. Wouldn't work at Monaco though.

I'd prefer it if they didn't have to get out of the way at all.
I do think that navigating lapped traffic is a skill, but removing the requirement to move aside makes it too easy for teams to manipulate races by strategically blocking the race leaders.

I do think that navigating lapped traffic is a skill, but removing the requirement to move aside makes it too easy for teams to manipulate races by strategically blocking the race leaders.
But being forced to get out of the way is manipulation of the race...

Alot of things are manipulation of the race, but kinda are a requirement such as safety cars for example. With the biggest manipulation being lapped cars getting a lap back under it.

Nonetheless, cars that are 2 or 3 miles behind should be getting out of the way.

...the biggest manipulation being lapped cars getting a lap back under it.

That really annoys me. The cars on the lead lap should pass them so that the leaders are directly behind the safety car, then L1 cars, then L2 cars and so on. Releasing cars to drive around the circuit and join up at the back is a waste of time, imo.

Looking forward to this race if I'm honest.
Things have been rather hectic/stressful/sh**/worrying (delete as appropriate) for me personally as of late, hence why I haven't been on here so much and also why I didn't create the thread for the race.

Back