• Thread starter Blackbird.
  • 27 comments

Blackbird.

Premium
United States
Bay Area
BlackbirdGTP
Blackbird5150
The 2018 Audi RS4 was revealed at the Frankfurt Auto Show yesterday and god is it gorgeous.

dstcwdonrxvpucwunqzj.jpg

g1lwmvk5yioklbktew4s.jpg

akhrhx28icbcftv9jqjq.jpg

Power comes via a 2.9L twin-turbo V6 putting out 444hp. It just looks the business!

Unfortunately for us in the US we probably will never see this car, it is forbidden fruit. I would sell my Mustang in a heartbeat for this and i'm not even sure how i'd afford it.

Thoughts on the design?

It does look good, but then the RS4 Avant always does. Odd that there's no rise in power over the previous one and only a 30hp rise over the 2006 B7.

I believe it has a similar torque figure to the HP figure. The old N/A 4.2 V8 had only 317 ft/lbs. This TT V6 has 442. So should give a better shove, 0-60 comes in 4.1 seconds.

With turbo engines being so common now, I'm sure any power increases (see: M4 CS) aren't more than a software tweak away. I'd be surprised if this sits at this rating throughout its life.

Love the design of the Audi Avants, always did actually. This RS4 really looks incredible. Not sure about the blue colour though.

So this is going to be a RS4 60?

I believe it has a similar torque figure to the HP figure. The old N/A 4.2 V8 had only 317 ft/lbs. This TT V6 has 442. So should give a better shove, 0-60 comes in 4.1 seconds.

They did similar with the S4 swapping from 4.2 V8 to supercharged 3.0 V6 and pegged it too an almost identical hp figure (although, as pointed out torque and economy stats were improvements) I guess they need breathing space between S4 and RS4 stats to make both viable, yet can't encroach too much on the S and RS6's.

The last two haven't looked muscular enough. The B7 won't be topped in my eyes.

Just to demonstrate how strong this new turbo V6 is: At 4000 rpm* it puts out almost 100 hp more than the old V8.
And it's 80kg lighter than the B8 so expect the performance to be on another level.

*this is the engine speed where the V8 FSI engine reached peak torque.

Just to demonstrate how strong this new turbo V6 is: At 4000 rpm* it puts out almost 100 hp more than the old V8.
And it's 80kg lighter than the B8 so expect the performance to be on another level.

*this is the engine speed where the V8 FSI engine reached peak torque.

I really hope whispers of this being the RS4 that finally makes it's return to the US are true. Unfortunately there are so many things going against that dream. For many Audi enthusiasts in the US. This and the RS6 are the holy grail.

"An RS Dynamic package is available which raises the limiter to 174mph."
So the customer spends more to gain access to performance that's already there?

As with all turbo Audis, Just pay 1k for an ABT software tune that will make the power increase by nearly 100hp, the N/A V8 barely gained any power to the point the S4 with the Software update was just as fast.

"An RS Dynamic package is available which raises the limiter to 174mph."
So the customer spends more to gain access to performance that's already there?
It's incredibly common with performance German cars. They're all limited to 155mph (except the R8), but you can buy a raised limiter or have the limiter removed. The current M5 has a "Drivers Package" that lifts the limiter from 155mph to 190mph. The current AMG C63 has the "AMG Driver's Package" which lifts the limiter from 155mph to 180mph.

I've seen it on M cars, AMGs and S/RS models, and for about the last 20 years.

The need to remove the limiter is irrelevant in the real world anyway, unless you live near the Autobahn and wanna hit max speed, so it's kind of a non-issue.

Indeed. Even then you're never going to hit those speeds for any sustained periods. Traffic in northern Europe isn't light enough at any time of day for that to be possible. You could argue that people do take high powered cars to max-speed events at airfields, like Bruntingthorpe, but even then, travelling at 155mph+ on a wide, flat airfield is going to feel like doing 95 on a motorway.

I know performance cars have been sold with speed limiters for some time, but this is the first instance where I noticed an option to remove said limiter by the factory itself. But yeah, it doesn't really matter when the car probably won't even see those speeds.:lol:

off-topic: I drove a couple months for a truck company that had our trucks governed to 62mph, so I'd always have other trucks passing me doing about 80-85. Scary stuff.

It's incredibly common with performance German cars. They're all limited to 155mph (except the R8), but you can buy a raised limiter or have the limiter removed. The current M5 has a "Drivers Package" that lifts the limiter from 155mph to 190mph. The current AMG C63 has the "AMG Driver's Package" which lifts the limiter from 155mph to 180mph.

It's a similar story with KTM: the current 1290 Super Duke R already has features like Launch Control, Traction Control Slip Adjust, and an option to turn off Anti-Wheelie Control.

But you have to pay to have them unlocked.

Eh, I've seen better. Just joking! That's a sweet ride for sure! Maybe my only knock on its design is the wheels. They aren't ugly, but I think there could be some more stylish wheels to it. It's otherwise a great-looking car- as are most Audis to begin with.

Eh, I've seen better. Just joking! That's a sweet ride for sure! Maybe my only knock on its design is the wheels. They aren't ugly, but I think there could be some more stylish wheels to it. It's otherwise a great-looking car- as are most Audis to begin with.
These will always be my favorite Audi wheels
audi_tt_rs-wallpaper-2560x1440.jpg

The need to remove the limiter is irrelevant in the real world anyway, unless you live near the Autobahn and wanna hit max speed, so it's kind of a non-issue.
Agreed but there is a problem. Most of the time, it seems like every German wants to use the autobahn and that makes is pretty dangerous to hit the maximum speed of this new Audi. Also, a maximum speed limit on the autobahn is getting more and more common. Also, if something happens while you're driving a the maximum speed, I belief that your insurance backs out, I'm not sure about that though.

I always loved the A4 Avant models, RS4 or not and this new RS4 is no exception. This really is a stunning car.

Thisi is may be a stupid question but is this a permanent quattro like the old Audi quattros? Or does this quattro have a haldex (or whatever system) coupling?

It is a gorgeous car.

Seems an ingenious system. I just watched a youtube clip about this torsen differential.

Back