Traction control to go fast?

• Thread starter 8MR
  • 93 comments

What Traction control setting do you use?

• Traction control 3

Votes: 30 8.0%
  • Traction control 2

Votes: 101 26.9%
  • Traction control 1

Votes: 60 16.0%
  • No traction control

Votes: 184 49.1%

• Total voters

8MR

Australia
Australia
Hi All

i've always believed that driving without traction control is the fastest option , but have noticed alot of people racing with traction control on?

So I'm curious as to how many of you use traction control and do you feel you can go faster with it on?

Cheers folks

I've just started playing the game and I always run with some assists initially, and then gradually I turn them off. Currently my TC is set to 2 but I want to be able to drive with it completely off. I believe you can be a lot quicker without TC, you just need good throttle control.

8MR
Hi All

i've always believed that driving without traction control is the fastest option , but have noticed alot of people racing with traction control on?

So I'm curious as to how many of you use traction control and do you feel you can go faster with it on?

Cheers folks

Just out of curiosity how can you tell whether other people are using TC or not?

For the most of the time, i set it to none.

However in some events where it involves low speed corners, I noticed how better I'm off with traction control set to 1 or 2.

Aren't most real race cars and high performance road cars faster with traction control these days? Many appear to be made to drive optimally with advanced computer systems controlling a whole lot of things on the fly.

I haven't tested enough in the game with traction control off to have an opinion there yet.

Aren't most real race cars and high performance road cars faster with traction control these days? Many appear to be made to drive optimally with advanced computer systems controlling a whole lot of things on the fly.

I haven't tested enough in the game with traction control off to have an opinion there yet.

Thats what im curious to know too, historically its faster without traction control... but with these new cars, its a bit of an unknown land to me :(

2 for RWD
1 for some 4WD and all FWD
0 for plenty of 4WD

Of course, when I am drifting and sunday-driving on <N500, it's off.
But on GT4-5-6 TCS 1 was enough always, there you can overpower it by many beasts and sloppy tyres, so I can not imagine where TCS 4 or higher can help. Just create more levels of TCS which can be in the middle of 0-1-2

Due to significant bugs in the way GTS handle traction loss, GTS (and other GT games) is the only race game where I use TCS.

I don't know if it would different if I used a wheel though.

Try mostly in off but it depends on cars track situation, online o dont want to spin bacause of carnage it can cost to other player so then i go for save after a lap or so i turn it off mostly.....

It’s a game, and even the best simulations will not - per definitionem - touch reality. Thus I use everything at my disposal within a game’s set of rules to achieve my goal, because I play to win, and not for my ego (well, winning does feed one’s ego, but game design, and gaming theory differentiate those types, so there you go.) In this regard a game does in fact work like real life sports, where any sensible, goal-driven participant will operate in a way that has proven to be the most efficient.

in concreto: If a car requires TCS to be fastest through slow corners, then I’ll dial some in before approaching those corners. If TC reduces speed out of sweeping corners too much I’ll turn it off before that corner. Tires are worn down? Well, I’d be stupid to leave TC off, same with rain. That’s the beauty of electronic aids, you can work them on the fly, and that’s exactly - to come full circle for the “realism” guys - how racing drivers in real life handle it.

In the previous GT's always off, in GTS due to PAD characteristics (i use "X" to accelerate ands Square to braking) i have to use it (not for all the cars) at 1 or 2 .

IR

Up until GTS I always drove with ABS only, and I was playing on a controller.

Now, depending on the car/track combo and if I'm racing in sport mode or not, I'll have 0, 1 or 2 TSC. I can also change it on the fly sometimes if I see that's worth the extra concentration.

I'd drive without TSC but I think the T300 wheel support is lacking when it comes to recovering a car when it goes over the limit or just feel the car when it's going close to it. Feels odd sometimes. Not to mention the issue with FFB strength...which is bugged atm and we can't dial it back a bit.

So, for the most part, with FR, MR and RR cars, while in sport mode, I tend to have TSC (1 or 2) to make the race safer and more predictable for me and also for others on track.

Some high powered front wheel drive cars I launch with TCS 1 but then turn it off. Just letting the front wheels spin seems to be slower and I can’t get the consistency with manual throttle control. Other than that it’s off mostly.

I tend to keep TCS at 2 while starting the race, then after hitting 2nd gear I set it to 0. And that's where I like to keep it unless there's a sharp turn that I have to slow down a lot for, then I usually set it up to 2 again for the initial acceleration. Depending on the track really.

Depends on the car/track combo. The FWD Civic/Brand Hatch combo was much faster with TCS @ 0. But a Gr.3 at the 'ring is much faster with TCS @ 1, due to bumps hindering the stability.

Traction control jumps in at points when the system has been told to.

If you’re driving well, traction control in principle shouldn’t come on - so if it’s working well, it will only activate if you overstep your limit.

The problem with traction control, is how good it is at only intervening if you overstep your controllability threshold. If TCS activates when you could’ve still maintained control, then it has effectively robbed you of a little bit of acceleration.

My experience in GTS is that the TCS is too aggressive even at level 1. These days, sport TCS systems will allow a bit of wheel spin to facilitate better cornering and a little bit of oversteer under power. The TCS in GTS seems to jump in too early and deaden the acceleration a bit.

So mostly I just rely on my right foot.

So leave TCS on if you find rwd too uncontrollable, but make it your goal to never see the flashing red indicator and you’ll know you’re driving smoothly, controllably and with full acceleration. If you do see it, maybe you just avoided a spin or whatever, or maybe you could’ve gone a bit faster.

...On GTS, traction control makes you go faster, which is a little bit of a shame. IMO the game should reward drivers that run without assists.

I find this strange, I thought that the goal of the GT series was to have more realistic handling, so if the car in reality has a Traction control which outperforms your driving control inputs, then it should help you to go faster, also in the GT series.

I'm working with a controller at this moment (have PS3 steering wheels and no adapter yet) I leave it on 3. 0 did not work for me on some of the cars I tried. Even with 3 I can spin out while driving a Gr3 car calmly.

Back