UK:Gran Turismo Sport on track to be No.1 PS4 exclusive of the year in sales

• Thread starter Unknown?
  • 94 comments
Doc_Of_D
“At No.3 is Gran Turismo Sport, which has benefitted from some serious discounting over the last few weeks. It is just a few weeks away from eclipsing Crash Bandicoot as the No.1 PS4 exclusive of the year.“

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ll-of-duty-wwii-scores-fifth-consecutive-no-1

Insane! First of all that Crash Bandicoot outsold Horizon there and that GTS will soon eclipse it with much less time on the market.

It is on track to have the best launch year of GT franchise ever in UK.

GT5 did ~600k in 2010.
GTS is already at 400-500k in 2017(estimate as we don’t have digital but physical is over 300k so far)

Last edited:
I feel bad for Horizon, that was a really well made game with a really interesting story and world. It was a proper single player adventure that didn't require a season pass to get the proper ending or have important story beats behind paywalls.

That game deserved to do better than it did, I just think it suffered by coming out along side Zelda... But congrats to PD

I feel bad for Horizon, that was a really well made game with a really interesting story and world. It was a proper single player adventure that didn't require a season pass to get the proper ending or have important story beats behind paywalls.

That game deserved to do better than it did, I just think it suffered by coming out along side Zelda... But congrats to PD
That game did well though. It sold 3.4M a few months after it released and we haven’t had an update yet. It’s probably around 5M now with BF. That’s WW of course.

“GT Sport won’t sell”
I don't think there was ever doubt it would do well in the UK, I mean historically speaking the series has always faired well here...the price tanking from a month on the market also pushed it higher than it ever would have without it. A smart move on Sony's part.

Ultimately, the franchise should be beating a 3rd party collection of remasters and a new IP - it hasn't been too great a year for PS4 exclusives.

The naysayers would have loved to see it bomb but the fact is it was very unlikely that GT Sport wouldn't sell okay (at least) in the UK.

I don't think there was ever doubt it would do well in the UK, I mean historically speaking the series has always faired well here...the price tanking from a month on the market also pushed it higher than it ever would have without it. A smart move on Sony's part.

Ultimately, the franchise should be beating a 3rd party collection of remasters and a new IP - it hasn't been too great a year for PS4 exclusives.

The naysayers would have loved to see it bomb but the fact is it was very unlikely that GT Sport wouldn't sell okay (at least) in the UK.
Don’t underestimate how big Crash is. Each one on PS1 did over 6M. Combine that with the fact it has been since that console we have gotten a good one with power of nostalgia it has done amazingly well. That new IP is also one of the biggest games this year as far as sells go.

Don’t underestimate how big Crash is. Each one on PS1 did over 6M. Combine that with the fact it has been since that console we have gotten a good one with power of nostalgia it has done amazingly well. That new IP is also one of the biggest games this year as far as sells go.
I'm not underestimating Crash. I know it did well but realistically speaking Gran Turismo should be beating it as a real 1st party title.

Crash was not this time around.

Said almost no-one, well no one who expected to be taken seriously.

The question was how well it would sell in comparison to past GT titles, a question that is still quite valid.
I recall a lot of people in these threads suggesting it wouldn't sell, as well as not sell well compared to past GT titles. You still have those people, even in this thread, saying things like the game is a flop. I don't think everyone saying that is trolling, they genuinely feel GT Sport won't do good in sales. Imo, it will do current GT6 level sales in about the same time period and any more than that is a win for them.

I recall a lot of people in these threads suggesting it wouldn't sell, as well as not sell well compared to past GT titles. You still have those people, even in this thread, saying things like the game is a flop. I don't think everyone saying that is trolling, they genuinely feel GT Sport won't do good in sales. Imo, it will do current GT6 level sales in about the same time period and any more than that is a win for them.
Pretty sure @TheNuvolari is joking.

On that last note: let's hope so! It's a smart move in terms of getting the game in homes, but it undoubtedly eats into profits of what has traditionally been a big seller for Sony. If there's a long-term paid-for DLC plan, one could argue the price drop was worth it to increase potential future revenue.

I hadn't really thought about that until now, but that's a good point. Even at E3, it felt like Sony was prepping for 2018 more so than showing off any exclusives for this year. Not that I have a problem with that — the last gen really got interesting at the halfway point, and with the mid-cycle consoles out, I expect that to be even more apparent this time around.

But yeah, in terms of PS4 exclusives, I can't say I'm too surprised GT Sport is up there — but kudos to PD regardless for the achievement. The UK loves its racing games, and it has little in the way of competition in the genre. Plus, few things are bigger than nostalgia right now, which explains Crash's success.

I haven't tried HZD yet, but I probably will over the holidays. To be honest none of the pre-release gameplay footage interested me. It looked far too repetitive, but with a free code alongside my Pro, I'm definitely curious to try it.

And pretty much no one took them seriously, you know, like I said.

The question was, and remains, how well will it sell in comparison to past GT's.

Now the other part of your post, will circa GT6 level be a 'win' for them. On that we will never know, as to be a win it would arguably have to break even (and we have never know that for any GT title due to the corporate structure PD sits within, we can only speculate), and it would need to exceed PD and Sony's sales expectations (which again they don't make public).

In that regard the aggressive discounting by both retail outlets and Sony themselves was personally A surprise, as I can;t recall it happening this quickly for any past GT title. It could be an indication of wanting to drive up sales numbers at the cost of revenue, but we are unlikely to ever know that for sure.

I haven't tried HZD yet, but I probably will over the holidays. To be honest none of the pre-release gameplay footage interested me. It looked far too repetitive, but with a free code alongside my Pro, I'm definitely curious to try it.
Off topic, but for me it was one of the best surprises of the year. A stunning looking title that plays well, and has a reasonably engaging story (by game standards)

On that last note: let's hope so! It's a smart move in terms of getting the game in homes, but it undoubtedly eats into profits of what has traditionally been a big seller for Sony. If there's a long-term paid-for DLC plan, one could argue the price drop was worth it to increase potential future revenue.

I hadn't really thought about that until now, but that's a good point. Even at E3, it felt like Sony was prepping for 2018 more so than showing off any exclusives for this year. Not that I have a problem with that — the last gen really got interesting at the halfway point, and with the mid-cycle consoles out, I expect that to be even more apparent this time around.

But yeah, in terms of PS4 exclusives, I can't say I'm too surprised GT Sport is up there — but kudos to PD regardless for the achievement. The UK loves its racing games, and it has little in the way of competition in the genre. Plus, few things are bigger than nostalgia right now, which explains Crash's success.

I'm getting Driveclub vibes from GT Sport's UK success so far. Eerily so.

From Videogamer:

DriveClub was the UK's best-selling single-platform exclusive of 2014, it's been revealed.

The racer fended off other console exclusives The Last of Us: Remastered, Infamous: Second Son, Sunset Overdrive and Halo: The Master Chief Collection to come out on top, despite suffering from disastrous launch issues.

Much of the game's success likely came as a result of its inclusion in Black Friday bundles. Last month it was revealed that sales of DriveClub had jumped 999 per cent during Black Friday week after a console bundle containing a copy of the game fell to £289.

That title also faced a remaster and an open-world action game, but secured 2014's top spot. Still though, things weren't as rosy as initially thought, as time would tell.

Last edited:
Mhhh ok ? It's good because you will find players often but the game lacks tracks and it's far from being a complete package . Btw i am enjoying it a lot but it's a 7.5/10 game in its current state .

OT, but Horizon Zero Dawn is one of the biggest games of the year. It was at 3.4m just a month after launch. It has continued to sell very well and will total similar numbers to Uncharted 4 (over 8m). The complete edition is released next week.

Crash Bandicoot is also a major title in UK. Wouldn't be surprised to see Crash Team Racing announced at PSX on Friday.

Funny enough, GT Sport is the only PS4 game (of ~15 AAA titles) I've bought a physical copy of. GT is special and should be treated as such. :lol:
Yes, ...I'm even thinking of buy another physical copy, the steel box...

How bothered do you think some execs were that the increase wasn't 1000%? :D

In GT's defence, it wasn't broken on launch. Lacking in content, sure, but at least it had most of the features it was advertised to have pre-launch. 👍

Wouldn't be surprised to see Crash Team Racing announced at PSX on Friday.

Oh, don't get my hopes up...

OT, but Horizon Zero Dawn is one of the biggest games of the year. It was at 3.4m just a month after launch. It has continued to sell very well and will total similar numbers to Uncharted 4 (over 8m). The complete edition is released next week.

Crash Bandicoot is also a major title in UK. Wouldn't be surprised to see Crash Team Racing announced at PSX on Friday.
Yeah but it deserved to be the number 1 PS4 exclusive IMO... though i know that’s not how these things work

Latest Posts

Back