2018 Heineken Chinese Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 304 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
After the absolutely thrilling Bahrain Grand Prix, Formula 1 is straight back into action at the Shanghai International Circuit. Pitstops are being investigated after 4 dangerous pitstops over the last two races, concluding with Kimi Raikkonen inadvertently running over a mechanic and breaking his leg (thankfully he is recovering well). China can often throw a weather-induced curveball, what will it have for us this season?
1460623306406.png

Shanghai International Circuit
First Grand Prix

Number
of Laps

Circuit Length
5.451KM

Race Distance
305.066KM

Lap
Record

1:32.238 by Michael Schumacher (2004)

2017 Podium
1: Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
2: Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)
3: Max Verstappen (Red Bull - Renault)

Session times at:
http://whenisf1on.com/

Wet quali and dry race if we can believe the weather forecast. Hopefully another great race with a lot to discuss before, during and after the race :)
And for the Europeans do not forget to set your alarm clock if you also want to watch the FP1&3

I had a thought yesterday, about the relationship between Red Bull and Torro Rosso. What is the extent of confidentiality of technical information between them? I know that it's not like pre-2010 where they ran an identical chassis with a slower upgrade cycle, but if Red Bull are grooming and evaluating Honda ahead of a potential switch at the end of this contract, how hard, or easy, would it be for them to say, slip a blueprint of the current Renault unit their way to help them out? It does make me have to wonder about the competitive advantage of literally having two not so separate entries.

I had a thought yesterday, about the relationship between Red Bull and Torro Rosso. What is the extent of confidentiality of technical information between them? I know that it's not like pre-2010 where they ran an identical chassis with a slower upgrade cycle, but if Red Bull are grooming and evaluating Honda ahead of a potential switch at the end of this contract, how hard, or easy, would it be for them to say, slip a blueprint of the current Renault unit their way to help them out? It does make me have to wonder about the competitive advantage of literally having two not so separate entries.
Or maybe it's Honda who is sharing info with Redbull, no rules agianst that.

Allthough Helmet Marko is always in both garages.

Did anyone watch FP1 and did anything "special" happen? Worth rewatching? Now watching FP2

Is Stoffel the next one with a wheel issue and unsafe release. He says in FP2 that his wheel is not on after he just left the pitlane. Again a wheelpistol error?

Last edited:
Those halo aero bits... I would definitely break them trying to get out of the car. :)

Merc didn't have them. Hmmm

Did anyone watch FP1 and did anything "special" happen? Worth rewatching? Now watching FP2

Is Stoffel the next one with a wheel issue and unsafe release. He says in FP2 that his wheel is not on after he just left the pitlane. Again a wheelpistol error?

Not really anything special going on, similar silly mistakes seen in FP2 happened in FP1

Hamilton says the Chinese track is the 3rd-easiest track to pass on. So we can look forward to a lot of passing, weather permitting. Here's the results of the rain-affected FP2.

30688252_1019504561539859_6796346673356513309_n.jpg

I doubt Ricciardo will stay with Redbull now, this is supposed to be the last race before he decides his next contract.

And also Max "complained" about his car. Same feeling/issue as is Bahku. We'll see what happens in qualification.

Tire choice in Q2 interesting strategy?

Last edited:
Apparently the HP boost thing was a lie, Verstappen just messed up.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135371/verstappen-right-foot-caused-bahrain-crash

Did they do that to make him feel better or something I don't get it?
And meanwhile Christian Horner answered some questions about this. He stated that it was absolutely not Max' and Renaults fault. Has to do with software and combination of hard shifting. But keep in mind that minutes before this Q&A Dr Helmut had a chat with Horner....Makes it hard for us to understand and/or believe what the real problem was. Focus on China now :)

Last edited:
Kimi man, was about to go wild, he botched his sector 3. Ferrari's gap to Mercedes is the gap you usually expect to see the other way around.

That moment Kimi could be the oldest F1 driver in history with a pole and then your teammate "spoils" your party. Ferrari performing very well. Mercedes not really happy and well Red Bull struggles (on this track). All eyes on race pace and pitstrategy then

That moment Kimi could be the oldest F1 driver in history with a pole and then your teammate "spoils" your party. Ferrari performing very well. Mercedes not really happy and well Red Bull struggles (on this track). All eyes on race pace and pitstrategy then
He would have been 9th if he got it, not first, you misheard the commentary. However, he would have been the oldest since Mansell at Adelaide 1994.

He would have been 9th if he got it, not first, you misheard the commentary. However, he would have been the oldest since Mansell at Adelaide 1994.
You're right. Men and multitasking....Watching and listening F1 and laptopping is not my best combi ;)

Interesting start tomorrow with row 1&2 same tires and the RedBull breathing in their neck with a softsofter compound

The ultrasofts can't do a full lap at full pace. Kimi burnt his tyres in the first two sectors and was screwed for the last one. Sen cared for them and nailed the last sector to snatch that pole position.

Back