The Crew 2 Beta Impressions: Feel Good Hit of the Summer

I do like the crew. Probably get it on Friday after playing it some more. Gives off a GTA vibe to me with added boats and planes (not a bad thing). Always liked travelling from place to place on last game, not more interesting travelling by plane, or by boat down a river. The races are interesting, especially the dam race near the start and the LIVE races were interesting, only got to season 2 race on that. Didn't venture too much into the game, knowing you start it again. Give me something to play in the months before the big September rush of the best of the rest games, which are avoiding the Red Dead Refemption slot in November.

I found it entertaining enough for the time I played it. But I came to the realization very quickly that it wouldn't have any legs for me. I'd probably play it for a couple of weeks and then never touch it again.

Edit: Oh, and the loading times between menu items/events/maps is horrid.

Last edited:
I found it entertaining enough for the time I played it. But I came to the realization very quickly that it wouldn't have any legs for me. I'd probably play it for a couple of weeks and then never touch it again.

Edit: Oh, and the loading times between menu items/events/maps is horrid.
The loading times when loading from tape on my Acorn Electron were horrid these are merely a slight inconvenience;)

There are things I didn’t like about this game, but the enjoyment overshadowed the flaws I initially had issues with. I liked The Crew 1 so this game is definately on my radar, wish the beta lasted one more day. :lol:

9D2633A8-E55D-4650-AF8F-FBAF997BB2F3.jpeg
B040D263-953B-4396-9B81-39DCC49AAA7A.jpeg

One can hope the flaws are fixed, some I know will get fixed, others I’m not so sure.

Good read. Although this part "In terms of sounds, The Crew 2 is average. There’s a lot of environmental sounds, but cars sound muffled and flat. "??

To me the engine sounds - aside from merely being a big step up from the first game - are very good in general (third person view in particular, but also in cockpits), easily sounding better than many cars in GT Sport (which, far from perfect, obviously also got a massive sound upgrade from previous games in the series) or the often excessively grating and sample recycled sounds of Project Cars 2.

There were definite flaws in the beta, for me the major one being that I could only ever manage to dial in wheel settings that were just about okay for cruising around (but mostly not for the faster and more precise response needed for racing, where I switch over to the PS4 controller), but I nevertheless had such a blast driving around and taking photos - and events were mostly good too, the structure certainly much improved from the first game - that I went ahead and bought the gold edition.

I was pretty much MLG in The Crew (1) so this is an automatic preorder for me. I was too slow to get the collectors edition though. :(

logged about 30 hours already in the betas... :lol:

The worst thing about The Crew 2 is the premium currency in the game. That means a lot of unnecessary replay racing just to get the best cars in the game.

I'm glad devs are taking inspiration from Test Drive Unlimited,both Horizon 4 and The Crew 2 having apartments in their games is a great way to change the pace of the game after hours of racing

Last edited:
I had an issue where I couldn’t see people online, like permanently. That was a deal breaker for me man. It happened in the Crew 1, frustrating to say the least.

hey thanks so much for using my picture that means a ton to me!! that challenger was soooo fun in the open beta :D i can't wait to have one in the full game!

Can anyone confirm if it's possible to customize the controlls on PS4???
I prefer to play my racing games using the right analog stick instead of using R2/L2.

Can anyone confirm if it's possible to customize the controlls on PS4???
I prefer to play my racing games using the right analog stick instead of using R2/L2.

It's not unfortunately. But if you have a wheel it's possible to combine inputs so you use throttle and brake pedals while steering with the controller stick (I do that a lot in races since I still don't feel the lackluster wheel implementation is fast and precise enough for racing).

My overall impression of the open beta is that it's not what I expected. :) I didn't expect to spend quite so much time flying the Zivko Edge, threading through treelines and storming cars and buildings. Getting to mess around with an airplane on a playground of this scale and level of detail at once is incredible! 👍

Meanwhile, I also didn't expect the story to be so terrible. I can get over the premise, but the dialogue and cutscene direction were really testing my patience. :lol:

I didn't get to try all that much in terms of vehicles. I mostly drove the MX-5, which I modified up to around 300hp and it felt good on a variety of roads. I look forward to diving deeper into things with the full game tomorrow night and seeing what else I can get out of the improved physics on some good backroads. I should have some worthwhile reward cars coming to give me a jumpstart. :)

Such a boring game. Shows why forza is the best at open world.

I’m sorry my comments are limited just my opinion I find crew 2 boring

Last edited:
Such a boring game. Shows why forza is the best at open world.
Horizon is boring to. Even more since you can only drive cars. But to be honest... comments like this are the most boring of all. If you have something to say, say it.. if not stick to the Horizon part of the Planet. Simple as that. :)

Back