Forza Horizon 4 Series 26 Update Teased, Arrives Next Month

This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Gary Slater (@AudiMan2011) on August 18th, 2020 in the Forza Horizon 4 category.
I can’t get over the amount of content Horizon 4 has been getting. Wow and I also feel sorry for Horizon 5 very big shoes to fill, I’m also still playing every week, and cars I don’t need I sell cheap in the auction house for other people. Well done Playground games and also free update for series X can’t wait.

A Ferrari F8 Tributo, SF-90 or a Lamborghini Sian would have been a far better choice than another ugly, fat and heavy SUV.
The Bentley Turbo R is not even an SUV genius...
1993_Bentley_Turbo_R.jpg

Also, I'd rather take this car over those two supercars that will just sit there and collect virtual dust like all the others.

A Ferrari F8 Tributo, SF-90 or a Lamborghini Sian would have been a far better choice than another ugly, fat and heavy SUV.

I like supercars as much as the next guy, and while it's true that given an empty racetrack in real life I'd rather have a go in one of the cars you mentioned rather than any of the three in this update, you gotta appreciate PG for adding variety.

Certainly I don't really care about the RR Velar, and I'm not a big fan of the I-Pace in terms of its looks, but there's really a lack of electric cars in the game. Yes, there's the Rimac C_Two and the VW I.D. R, but those are extreme examples of electric cars (one isn't even road-legal, and one isn't even in production yet last time I checked). I did wonder what a relatively normal electric car would feel like in the game, and I suppose the I-Pace will answer that (despite not being as normal as, say, a Nissan Leaf).

As for the Bentley Turbo R, as far as I know there wasn't really a full-size luxury car in the game (no S-Class, 7-Series, A8, XJ, RR Phantom, etc.), apart from the Cadillac limousine and the Panamera.

I rarely do tuning or play online competitively in FH4, and I like to see performance compromises of a car caused by its nature (like being prone to understeer due to being a large, heavy SUV meant to carry a family of four) as a "feature" and not a "weakness", and see how I can adjust my driving accordingly to produce a clean line in and out of a corner (during free roam).

As for the cars you mentioned, there is plenty of modern supercars and hypercars already in the game. I suspect an F8 Tributo in game will have handling characteristics similar to those of a 488 GTB, the Sián will have handling characteristics similar to those of an Aventador, and the SF90 Stradale...I don't know, like a LaFerrari with an AWD swap (is that even an option for the LaFerrari in the game...eh, whatever)? So in that sense it is arguably "boring" to have one of the cars you mentioned added to the game.

Why are people pretending that the Ferrari F8 Tributo is boring? It's an awesome piece of engineering.
Fair enough if some SUV appeals more to you, but don't be ridiculous about it. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping this update would come with new mystery Toyotas (either the Celica SS-I, FJ40, or classic Forza Toyotas such as the Altezza RS200, FJ Cruiser, MR-S, Celica Supra, or new ones like the GR Supra, Crown Athlete, Chaser, etc.)

As for the Land Rover Range Rover Velar, I wonder what variant we're getting, either the supercharged V6 one or the hardcore "SVAutobiography Dynamic" variant.

Why are people pretending that the Ferrari F8 Tributo is boring? It's an awesome piece of engineering.
Fair enough if some SUV appeals more to you, but don't be ridiculous about it. :rolleyes:

Because all these superhypercars are boring to drive in games like FH4. More often then not the physics engine can't replicate everything going on with the actual car, and they're just too fast for the map.

More often then not the physics engine can't replicate everything going on with the actual car, and they're just too fast for the map.
Agreed, Compared to the Forza Motorsport games I get the feeling that the physics engine is running at a lower tickrate in the Horizon games, which leads to the cars feeling less realistic the faster you go. Growing up with the old Gran Turismo games and spending my 20s bouncing between Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport I tend to prefer a somewhat more realistic physics then what Horizon offers in the higher PI classes. That is why I like racing D-B Classes in FH4 the best.

Forza Motorsport

I feel like they're even worse in Motorsport; the way the PI system works means a car like the F8 Tributo would end up in high R-Class, perhaps even P-Class, with all the actual racecars.

Agreed, Compared to the Forza Motorsport games I get the feeling that the physics engine is running at a lower tickrate in the Horizon games, which leads to the cars feeling less realistic the faster you go. Growing up with the old Gran Turismo games and spending my 20s bouncing between Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport I tend to prefer a somewhat more realistic physics then what Horizon offers in the higher PI classes. That is why I like racing D-B Classes in FH4 the best.
The tickrate is the same between games, the only real difference in the physics is that the tire and/or surface grips are all turned up for Horizon.

Because all these superhypercars are boring to drive in games like FH4. More often then not the physics engine can't replicate everything going on with the actual car, and they're just too fast for the map.
Exactly. Nobody isn't "pretending" nor being "ridiculous"... :rolleyes: We're being realistic. Another super or hyper car will just be boring in a game like FH4. I'd rather more packs of non super/hyper cars and another Toyota or Lexus in the mix.

Every time I read "Bentley Turbo R" (I know it's referring to the sedan), my mind can't help but immediately go to that one-off Project 116 (Conti. R w/ the same 6.75L turbo V8 like the Turbo R, but Cosworth-modified) which would be a perfect addition to the game. Even boasts Ferrari-kills on its fenders.

I’m having fun with them every now and then. The map and simulation could be better, but that’s not reason enough to write off every single super/hyper car.

Exactly. Nobody isn't "pretending" nor being "ridiculous"... :rolleyes: We're being realistic. Another super or hyper car will just be boring in a game like FH4. I'd rather more packs of non super/hyper cars and another Toyota or Lexus in the mix.

Someone above asked if the person who would like to see some new Ferrari models was “twelve”. That is quite ridiculous.

Denying the importance of fast exotics in the most successful mainstream racing game is not being realistic...

Personally I like variety as much as most Forza regulars, and I wasn’t pleased how FH4 launched with a noticeable bias for faster cars. It has balanced out for the better in recent months with several non-mainstream additions, but I wouldn’t want to be without the latest and greatest cars from Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, etc. Excellent cars when the mood strikes.

the only real difference in the physics is that the tire and/or surface grips are all turned up for Horizon.
There has got to be more to it then that, otherwise AWD swaps wouldn't be so overpowered in Horizon sense that isn't really an issue in Motorsport. I've tested some of the same RWD cars back to back in FM7 and FH4 and find that most can launch just fine in FM7 with minimal wheelspin, while in FH4 they wheelspin for days, sometimes even launching from second gear.
I think in Horizon it is both increased Lateral Grip and decreased Forward Traction compared to FM. Combined with a reduction in the control loss penalty when the tires do break lose all come together to make Drifting easier, but has the side effect of making RWD cars suffer more wheelspin when launching and trying to accelerate out of tight corners, Thus leading to the AWD swap everything meta that exist in the Horizon games.

There has got to be more to it then that, otherwise AWD swaps wouldn't be so overpowered in Horizon sense that isn't really an issue in Motorsport. I've tested some of the same RWD cars back to back in FM7 and FH4 and find that most can launch just fine in FM7 with minimal wheelspin, while in FH4 they wheelspin for days, sometimes even launching from second gear.
I think in Horizon it is both increased Lateral Grip and decreased Forward Traction compared to FM. Combined with a reduction in the control loss penalty when the tires do break lose all come together to make Drifting easier, but has the side effect of making RWD cars suffer more wheelspin when launching and trying to accelerate out of tight corners, Thus leading to the AWD swap everything meta that exist in the Horizon games.
IIRC, he has access to the Dev Kit, so if anyone knows, it would be him. I don't think he's just guessing.

An AWD swap would be better for an overpowered car in Horizon because of it's open world nature, you can put a more power oriented focus, and with the extra grip that he references, it will only compound that issue. If you try doing that on a track-focused game, it wont work so well, you'll understeer terribly most the time.

I've had quite the opposite results with the RWD wheelspin. It's way more manageable in Horizon rather than the other way around in my opinion.

IIRC, he has access to the Dev Kit, so if anyone knows, it would be him. I don't think he's just guessing.

An AWD swap would be better for an overpowered car in Horizon because of it's open world nature, you can put a more power oriented focus, and with the extra grip that he references, it will only compound that issue. If you try doing that on a track-focused game, it wont work so well, you'll understeer terribly most the time.

I've had quite the opposite results with the RWD wheelspin. It's way more manageable in Horizon rather than the other way around in my opinion.
It's partially a guess but not fully - Horizon 3's dev mode exposes a lot of variables including the refresh rate which is the same 360Hz as what T10 have always claimed for the Motorsport games. Tire and surface grip is mostly based off comparing the same files between FH and FM. There's far too many to conclude for every single type but it's reasonable enough to say the ones that matter are all increased a bit.

There could of course be other non-file hardcoded things at play but it's simply impossible to know that.

this isn't a SUV being teased, you know that right

Back