• 10 comments

GTvsForza

Premium
United States
The Gem State
GTvsForza
GTvsForza
http://www.geoquake.com/drivingsimulator/earth/

Thanks to the awesome Katsuomi Kobayashi, we can drive in Google Earth!

He is busy most of the time so he doesn't update the simulators very often. Sometimes he fixes minor errors.

Make sure you have a good computer because this game is very CPU and GPU intensive. If you are having trouble still, use a different browser. For me, I use Firefox (and sometimes Chrome).

Take some pics of your favorite cruising locations and post them here!

picture.php

Updates
April 23, 2013 - Removed some preset locations

Bugs/Issues

The plug-in crashes / Rendering is broken
It seems the Google Earth plug-in is a bit unstable (this plug-in is doing a really hard task). Please try re-installing the plug-in or deleting the Google Earth data folders.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Google\GoogleEarth
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Google\GoogleEarthPlugin

(on Windows 7/8. The AppData is a hidden folder)

The lamps are not rendered at the correct positions
Reset your browser zoom level to 100%.

The car bounces at the driver's viewpoint
Looks like we can't get accurate altitudes when the camera is near the ground(from Google Earth 7?). Need to investigate more.

Can you add a bus (and other vehicles)?
I want to do it but it takes a lot of work. Don't expect much.

Some places are too bumpy and hard to drive
Google Earth introduced a new automated terrain and building generation algorithm. It's great for Google Earth but the roads and trees generated by it are not suitable for driving. Unfortunately nothing can be done on my side.

Precise collision detection, nighttime, navigation map, mirrors etc...
Because Google Earth is originally not made for driving simulation, there are many technical limitations. Please understand that this program can't become a full-featured driving simulator.

Last edited:
I went to Ukraine, to the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, the area of the nuclear disaster. It's detailed pretty good.
Here is the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Station.
-P-UIoWjQ3s.jpg

TWdimN0I2ok.jpg

1L5XS3gtmD4.jpg

And the ghost town nearby, Pripyat. It has very many buildings detailed in 3D. I advise you to check it out!
DylS45iTHKk.jpg

The central square of Pripyat
9usk7CVa8cA.jpg

The Polesye hotel on the central square.
drTqw-FiG5M.jpg

zRVyKgW1tJk.jpg

A very, very early version of the ultimate open world game. Who knows what we'll be able to do within 15-20 years.

Good News: The 2D Maps simulator is getting a reboot in September
Bad News: No more Earth simulator :(

He is busy most of the time so he doesn't update the simulators very often. Sometimes he fixes minor errors.

Make sure you have a good computer because this game is very CPU and GPU intensive. If you are having trouble still, use a different browser. For me, I use Firefox (and sometimes Chrome).

picture.php

Updates

Bugs/Issues

It seems the Google Earth plug-in is a bit unstable (this plug-in is doing a really hard task). Please try re-installing the plug-in or deleting the Google Earth data folders.

Looks like we can't get accurate altitudes when the camera is near the ground(from Google Earth 7?). Need to investigate more.

Google Earth introduced a new automated terrain and building generation algorithm. It's great for Google Earth but the roads and trees generated by it are not suitable for driving. Unfortunately nothing can be done on my side.

Because Google Earth is originally not made for driving simulation, there are many technical limitations. Please understand that this program can't become a full-featured driving simulator.

Will try it when I get home. I am using a prehistoric PC now..

picture.php

Updates

Bugs/Issues

UPDATE 09/02/2022: The website was put up for sale, so you cant use it.

update Feburary 9, 2022: The website was put up for sale, so you cant use it.

update Feburary 9, 2022: The website was put up for sale, so you cant use it.
They changed the domain a long time ago, but they didn't bring back the Earth sim. The 2d Maps one was updated so the car models are 3d.

Back