3DS Revisions: The 3DS XL & New 3DS

• Thread starter Ddrizle
  • 29 comments
Nintendo reveals 3DS revision - 3DS XL
14lspkz.jpg

153r6rt.jpg

Releases - 8-19-2012 at $199​

President Satoru Iwata shared additional information about the system as the broadcast progressed. The new system is named 3DS XL and is set for a July 28 release in Japan. White, Red/Black, and Silver/Black colors will be available.

3DS XL packs in a 4GB SD card. The system itself features a 4.88 inch screen for 90% extra space. The lower screen has also seen an increase to 4.18 with a 90% space upgrade as well. It’ll feature a slightly improved battery.

Credit: Valay

Transparent 3DS XL Demo Unit.
2ppwygi.jpg

Last edited:
The general concept is no less of a joke than it was with the original DS XL. However, the fact that the battery life is still terrible but it doesn't even come with an AC adapter is just silly.

Still no second analog nub? Maybe the Vita has spoiled me, but I just can't go back to playing the 3DS now, it feels awkward without a second analog stick.

The bigger screen has definitely made it more of an attractive purchase, just depends on price. Not having a charger, majorly stupid and they appear to have made the casing cheap and nasty.

Better size comparison pic...

screentendo.jpg

Last edited:
Wait, what do you guys mean by "no charger"? How would you charge it then? Will it be a separate purchase or does Nintendo assume you already have a 3DS charger? :dunce:

Daniel
Wait, what do you guys mean by "no charger"? How would you charge it then? Will it be a separate purchase or does Nintendo assume you already have a 3DS charger? :dunce:

It artificially keeps the cost down. Similar to the Vita memory card scam.

Not ideal in the least. I guess they thought that people would trade in there 3ds for this. However how could you trade in a 3ds and not trade your charger. Stores would end up having pre owned 3ds without chargers.

Bonkers.

Edit Chargers on Amazon for around £3.

Nintendo's 3DS XL comes with less glare & better 3D performance

"When it comes to anti-reflection, this device beats all previous Nintendo game systems," Murakami said.

According to Tanaka, the 3DS' depth slider has more range, thanks to the LCD increasing parallax, or the difference people view in an object's position along two lines of sight.

That increased range could be important. One of the complaints with the Nintendo 3DS is that the 3D effect, for some users, could be a bit more dramatic. With the larger screen, that should happen.

Nintendo said in late June that it'll launch the 3DS XL in the U.S. on August 19 for $199.99. Credit: Don Reisinger

It's nice to know that the new system is better in the area that many developers have decided is not as important as was initially suggested.

It artificially keeps the cost down. Similar to the Vita memory card scam.

Not ideal in the least. I guess they thought that people would trade in there 3ds for this. However how could you trade in a 3ds and not trade your charger. Stores would end up having pre owned 3ds without chargers.

Bonkers.

Edit Chargers on Amazon for around £3.

The Vita and the 3DS "scams" are two different things, sir. Sony chose to use proprietary memory sticks for the Vita. Sony could have cut costs down by using SD cards, or heck, put their R&D to work and develop a 64GB Memory Stick Pro Duo stick so that they don't have to waste the money to develop the trash that is the Vita memory stick.

Nintendo will develop the power of the 3DS XL power cord to fit a regular 3DS, and vice versa.

While Sony decided to waste money, Nintendo decided to truly save money by removing the power cord because of the belief of compatibility.

Still, the point remains that as a result of developing the new memory sticks, Sony has effectively wasted money in research and development of the sticks, and will charge twice as much to at least make a profit on blank sticks.

Nintendo removing the power cord from the 3DS XL is simply them not taking into account that owners of the 3DS who do wish to upgrade will trade in. A dumb move, sure, but it is a true cost cutting measure compared to what Sony was blathering about prior to the Vita's launch.

Sanji Himura
The Vita and the 3DS "scams" are two different things, sir.

Maybe a poor choice of words or just a miss understanding.

All I mean is both options 3DSXL/Vita are not stand alone items. Both need extra hardware on top of the initial price to function properly.

The 3Ds come out of it a bit better as a £3 one off payment. The Cheapest card 4gig costs more than the Charger. Lol.

Ideally if N had kept the same port from DS to 3Ds it would make a lot more sense. As people would probably have two chargers already.

Still, the point remains that as a result of developing the new memory sticks, Sony has effectively wasted money in research and development of the sticks, and will charge twice as much to at least make a profit on blank sticks.

Nintendo removing the power cord from the 3DS XL is simply them not taking into account that owners of the 3DS who do wish to upgrade will trade in. A dumb move, sure, but it is a true cost cutting measure compared to what Sony was blathering about prior to the Vita's launch.

You failed (twice) to mention these new cards only purpose was to combat Piracy. That was the official reason from Sony. Look at every method of piracy involving SD cards. Every single one starts with "insert SD card into PC card reader. Sony "saves" money by not having internal memory. Its a risk they take to protect their billion dollar investment. It working or not is another story.

I'm almost positive they did nothing more than change the shape of their current flash memory cards to only work with Vita. Its not new tech and its slow.

Last edited:

new-nintendo-3ds.jpg

Nintendo Everything
Nintendo has announced a brand new iteration of the 3DS known as “New Nintendo 3DS”.

The system features a second analog nub and much more like a cartridge slot on the bottom and ZL/ZR buttons. New Nintendo 3DS is white and black. The XL model is metallic blue/metallic black. New Nintendo 3DS is 3.88 inch, 3.33 inch for the New Nintendo 3DS. It’s 1.2 times bigger than the original model.

The top right of the New 3DS model has the little nub called the c-stick. It serves the same purpose as the slide pad. Nintendo went with the smaller C-stick so that the abyx buttons wouldn’t have to be moved/redesigned, and it’d still be close for the fingers. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Dragon Quest X, Final Fantasy Explorers, and Smash Bros. all take advantage of this. Additionally, the button colors come in the same color as the Super Famicom. New Nintendo 3DS can use the bottom screen to use NFC. In other words, you won’t need a special reader. New Nintendo 3DS supports micro SD cards. Data can be sent over Wi-Fi to PC.

There’s also a more powerful CPU inside. That means things like HTML5 videos in the Internet browser will be supported.

New Nintendo 3DS features swappable covers and back covers. 1,000 yen per cover plate set, and many will be available at launch. 50 are due out by the end of this year. New Nintendo 3DS launches on October 11. Pricing is set at 16,000 yen. The XL model will go for 18,800 yen.

Last edited:
So they're making some games exclusive to this "New" Nintendo 3DS? That doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.

@Sanji Himura Yes, I was talking about the newly announced "New" 3DS and 3DS XL. I don't think it is very smart to have games exclusive to that system, I'm sure it will confuse a lot of people, especially if Nintendo claims that people were confused by the Wii U (apparently people thought it was a Wii add-on) naming. What will the box say, the new system is called the New 3DS, right?

Nice for Nintendo to finally add a right analog stick but it could have been a little bigger if it was possible.

Back