$4,000 and five months...But the wait was worth it!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gil
  • 15 comments
  • 858 views

Gil

Bird man
Premium
Messages
6,977
Messages
old-guy64
Well guys, I said I was gonna get a new truck to replace the "Super 'Scort."
Months have gone by, and I was beginning to lose faith.
But here she is, my 1996 Ford Ranger Splash.
http://thebigbradwolf.gotdns.com/trucka.jpg
http://thebigbradwolf.gotdns.com/truckb.jpg
Yes, the large guy beside the truck is me.

The details:
2.3liter 4-cyl. 5-spd trans.
AM/FM/Cassette with 6-disc CD changer.
Sunroof
power mirrors
and now that I've had 3 weeks with her, just over 70,000 miles.

I had to add a new glass in the left hand mirror, new shift knob, new steering wheel cover.
 
That's a very sexy neighbourhood, oh, and the truck look's amazing. 👍
 
Nice colour choice.👍
 
Thanks guys. I hope Ryan (Mazkid) sees this soon, so I can let it fade into obscurity.
I'm also trying to arrange a test-drive on a privately owned '94 Probe GT for the Kids.
It's a 5-spd. But I took my second son out today and for his first time out he did better than either of his driving brothers did their first time out.👍
And he seems to no longer be aghast at the notion of driving a manual-tranny car.

Plus I won't mind stealing it on snowy days. Leaving my little truck garaged on those days.
 
It stands out.

I like the color. 👍
 
Wow, didnt see pictures till now. That truck looks very well maintained.
 
ShobThaBob
Wow, didnt see pictures till now. That truck looks very well maintained.
It has been, and continues to be.
This is the first "cool" vehicle I've had since I got married 22 years ago.
I've had a few "great" cars. But, this one is "cool" as well.

I'm almost as "obsessive" as I was back in high school with my T-bird.
Tomorrow, if the weather permits she gets vacuumed and a bath.
Prolly one of the last baths she'll get before it gets too cold.
 
That's a nice ass truck, and a great price for the condition/mileage! Congrats on finally getting it, Gil!
 
Nice color selection and nice truck.
 
Awesome looking truck, Gil! I glad to see you're happy with it. Any plans to buy new wheels? The wheels on it now look on the small side. But, they work, right?
 
No offense to your physical attributes, but can you comfortably fit into that cab? My room mate is a rather big guy himself and drives a little Toyota Tacoma. I can't see how he's possibly comfortable in it.

But your truck is looking pretty fine. I dig the sun roof on a truck - I've always thought that was a cool idea.
 
It's not an "all-day" ride. But I've driven it for 2 hrs. with no ill effects.
If I don't slouch it's pretty comfy.
And, it has great tunes.:D
My two big gripes is the clutch is a pretty long throw, and the shifter is a long throw.
I'd probably be happier in an extended cab. But I really like this truck.
 
Can you replace or adjust the clutch? And I presume you could put a shorter arm on the shifter. I don't know if that would put it out of reach though.
 
LoudMusic
Can you replace or adjust the clutch? And I presume you could put a shorter arm on the shifter. I don't know if that would put it out of reach though.
There is a shifter for it that will cut the "throw" by 30%. I can't remember if it's a Hurst or a B & M. My issue is that the thing is $219.00 + Shipping and handling. (And I need/want a tonneau cover more than I need a shifter.)
But it is pretty much a drop in piece.

As for the clutch, I kinda like the way it feels. Its got a HUGE friction point.
(It's the most "indifferent" clutch I've ever had in a vehicle. It doesn't require a lot of finagling. Just step off gently and off you go) But even with my short legs I have to "step up" to get my foot on the pedal. I'm getting used to it. I'm just so used to cars with a lower seating position, that allows you push in the clutch rather than stepping down on it.
 
Back