4hr of Nurburgring report!

charles_theseira
Today, Jonathan and I did the 4hr Nurburgring endurance race. we decided on this format.
4hr split into 1 hour stints, with me going first, then swapping drivers every hour.
Choice of car was a Ford GT 2005 model, with minor mods and R3 tyres.

We found that the entire tank of fuel would last you 1 hour, but it would come very close to being empty at the end of your stint, and the tyres would last half an hour if thrashed, 45mins if taken care of, however with jonathan, the tyres would last only 20mins, cos hes Jonathan. HAHA

Overall it was bloody good fun, at my first hour, i had built up a 3 minute lead over the next Honda S2k, and then swapped drivers. Jonathan then managed to lose that 3 minute cushion in 5 laps, because he decided to do one more lap on very worn tyres, at the Nurburgring. Bad idea. halfway through the lap, he was spinning at almost every corner, and lost the lead in the pit stop.

After his stint, I took over, and pushed really really hard, and i was amazed that on lap 17 and 18, the times were 8:09:345 and 8:09:347. 0.002 seconds difference over a 28km track! consistency. I then got the lead back, after being almost 2 minutes behind at the start of my 2nd stint, and i was making my way back to the pits, for the driver change. However, i looked at the fuel gauge and saw that i was very VERY low on fuel, and had to go on fuel saving mode for that lap, which was the most stressful lap of the nurburgring i have ever done! on the long straight on the nordschleife, i ran out of petrol. and the car had to coast back to the pits very slowly, running on fumes!!

After changing drivers, we were still behind a red Honda S2k, and after half an hour into the last stint, we were running just a few hundred meters behind the leader! and to our surprise, he pitted, and our tyres were still all right, and would last us another 3 laps or so, but we decided to pit, and we were right behind him coming out of the pits. Chased him lap after lap, corner after corner, and finally, at 3hr49mins, we took the lead as the lead honda s2k spun off, as he had worn off his tyres, or maybe he had made a mistake.

So we took victory at the 4hr of Nurburgring, and the 24hr of le mans is planned in 2 weeks time.

Back