4WD Rally cars on dirt: tunes or tips?

• Thread starter KERSengage
  • 10 comments
Did a search but it didn't pull up much. I'm mostly interested in tuning my Audi Quattro '86 rally car (the yellow and white one) because the stock setup seems to be for tarmac. I tried Dante's tune, but I didn't improve things at least for me. Could anyone give me a tune, or tips for tuning? I'm talking mostly about suspension, but would welcome any advice

I havent tuned that car yet to the extreme but i did do a quick one earlier.

so quick actually i can't remember what it was but i can give a jist of what i did. Did the same for like 3 other 4wd rally cars and they all run great so im going to say it works.

General idea because no were near ps3:

Suspension:
-Lower suspension and barely increase springs (only a little... talking like 5-15 for both front/rear and lower in front by like 2-5)
-Increase front damper compression and rear damper extension by 1 or 2.
-Increase front toe by like .5 and decrease rear .5-.10
-Set back brakes a bit higher.. like 5/6

Lsd:
-decrease initial torque to about 7 both front and back
-Put the toque acceleration to about 12 front and 15 rear
-Breaks on about 12 each.

Aerodynamics:
-front max aero
-back max it then take off like 50

^^^^ great starting place for every rally car ive tuned so far. Both in gt5 and gt6.

that's great thank you. The first bit about suspension, I'm glad I asked because I would've gone the other way. I had assumed rally cars will have much higher ride height and much plusher springs than tarmac cars. Cheers I will try this

that's great thank you. The first bit about suspension, I'm glad I asked because I would've gone the other way. I had assumed rally cars will have much higher ride height and much plusher springs than tarmac cars. Cheers I will try this

I tune them to have a higher suspension than my circuit cars but i mean i personally like my cars lower. So that may be just me. I do it and it works good. If this doesn't work let me know and ill tune mine specifically and give you the tune.

EDIT: Better tuned my car last night so when im done with my school project ill post it for ya.

Will be tomorrow at latest

Last edited:
I run the Diff 50/50.
Agreed. Seems silly not to run 50/50 on dirt or snow.

I drove the Subaru that @Motor City Hami linked above and it is/was outstanding. Also check out the FITT Rally thread linked in that post:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7421530#post7421530

There are a bunch of tunes listed at the front so you can see what everyone tried. I went for stock ride height (for suspension travel), squishy springs, hard dampers and tight LSDs on the Celica which gave good results at Eiger. Look through the tunes and see if you can find a good starting point.

Agreed. Seems silly not to run 50/50 on dirt or snow.

I drove the Subaru that @Motor City Hami linked above and it is/was outstanding. Also check out the FITT Rally thread linked in that post:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7421530#post7421530

There are a bunch of tunes listed at the front so you can see what everyone tried. I went for stock ride height (for suspension travel), squishy springs, hard dampers and tight LSDs on the Celica which gave good results at Eiger. Look through the tunes and see if you can find a good starting point.

I found that out in GT5 :P. Because if you Slide to much you lose time. So think of driving like on tarmac but on dirt/snow :). And usually corner exits i let the slide out. :).

Okay i got my one tune more done. And it actually doesn't run a 50/50 on snow or dirt. Also didn/t try it because i didn't feel it was necessary and my bottom hurts from driving for so long.

But this is what i drive on my audi:

Suspension:
-Ride Height: 91/94
-Spring rate: 9.10/11.36
-D-Compression: 6/3
-D-Extension: 3/5
-ARB: 4/4
-Camber: .2/.3
-Toe: .07/.15
-Brakes: 5/5

Transmission:
-Top Speed (auto): 162
-Indv Gears:
.....1: 3.067
.....2: 2.299
.....3: 1.779
.....4: 1.454
.....5: 1.210
.....6: 1.042
-Final: 3.936

Drivetrain:
-Initial Toque: 7/7
-Acceleration Sen: 18/15
-Braking Sen: 9/14
-Torque Distribution: 40/50

Body:
-Downforce: 150/270

That's what i run and i love the way it drives. It works much better on snow than it does dirt in my opinion but thats just me. Works great on all snow/dirt tracks ive driven.

Hope this works for you to. i tuned it with a DFGT so i hope it translates to whatever your using. :)

Back