• Thread starter Tom
  • 22 comments

Tom

Voice of Gran Turismo
Premium
United Kingdom
Kent
tombrookscomms
Hi all, I sold my Slo-ped the other day purely to get a geared 50cc motorcycle. Problem is that I've only got £330 to spend. I know that Aprilia do the RS50 but that seems to be a little bit out of my price range. So what can you recommend?

Tom

I don't know how much the bike prices compare over there as opposed to North America but $500-750 seems like not enough to buy a good bike. A YZR50 could be good though.

I'd get bigger than that. If you look around you can probably get a 200cc for the same amount.

The smart way, not like how you can buy a 1000 over here as soon as you get your license.

Well I thought he meant just like messing around kind of toy. If it's for road use then I understand. I'd wait a year. 50cc isn't really going to move you. 125 will but even then it's not that great. You don't even need a license for it here where I'm at, they require that you register and insure them but when they don't offer either for my model...

Well I thought he meant just like messing around kind of toy. If it's for road use then I understand. I'd wait a year. 50cc isn't really going to move you. 125 will but even then it's not that great. You don't even need a license for it here where I'm at, they require that you register and insure them but when they don't offer either for my model...

As here, wait a year and save your money if you can afford to. A 125 will do you just fine in the UK unless you do long journeys on A roads (obviously can't go on M roads til you pass full test) and such but you can still break the speed limit on an A road and out accelerate most things from low speed, all whilst paying a pathetic amount for petrol compared to a car. Insurance will be fairly steep though (still half that of a car if not less). I was on my slo-ped for 2 years, rode it til it died, a Speedfight 2 derestricted so it managed a fairly impressive 55-60mph on a good day, and since then I've had a DT125X (SM). I'm now 21 and insurance costs me a mere £100 a year but I certainly don't get eaten up by traffic anywhere as it'll reach the speed most people drive at which is let's just say 5-10mph from 70 on a dual carriageway.

If you do only drive around town and barely touch national speed limit roads you may as well have a slo-ped and de-restrict it if you need the transport but want a little more power (when you can legally of course :sly:). If you're not desperate for personal transport, just wait until you can afford and are allowed something better in a 125.

Side note avoid Aprilia if you're not ready to give it alot of TLC, people always say they're unreliable but they don't have to be if you take good care of them and the previous owner did to, the latter of which may be hard to come by.

I understand the laws and why they are there for you guys however I don't like the fact they make you wait. I think you should be able to take a second test for a higher powered one say 6 months later instead of a year.

I understand the laws and why they are there for you guys however I don't like the fact they make you wait. I think you should be able to take a second test for a higher powered one say 6 months later instead of a year.

Strongly disagree, a motorcycle is deadly and we don't have wide open or even well paved roads. You're already allowed a moped before you're allowed a car (you can get a 125 at the same time as you can a car). Keeping in mind on that basis I could pass a test, barely ride in the coming period, pass the next test and then be on the rode on a more powerful machine with very little road experience at 16 years old. You can skip the moped step though and go straight to 125 at any time after 17, it's not enforced, then you can pass another test to be allowed up to 33bhp and a certain power to weight, and I believe 2 years later you're good to go on whatever you can afford at 19.

At 21 years old with no previous motorcycle experience you are currently allowed to do a direct access test and be immediately allowed anything, this is however set to change to a more enforced stepping stone system according to the guy who I did my last test with and it makes perfect sense to me, at best something like 33bhp for a year or 2, then another step, before fully unrestricted with a test for each.

Seeing the way alot of young people drive around in 1L Saxo or similar and quite regularly injure themselves I would not trust these people on a moped let alone a 125 or more. It's a completely different road environment here, on a worrying amount of roads around the UK have a margin for error for motorcycles of absolute zero due to the combination of poorly maintained roads and classic British weather.

Example, this is about as good as roads in my immediate vicinity are of my home.
picture.php

Dat guardrail yo, straight in to a valley of certain death or permanent injury if you're lucky and no chance of emergency response. The surface is full of potholes, the road can't accomodate 2 vehicles wide most of the way, every turn and often straight is blind and this is fairly typical for even fairly busy routes such as the A5 through to the Welsh border, which though an incredible driving road on a nice day is also insanely dangerous if you make a small mistake, it's a 60 mile journey from home to uni of 90% solid rock face or massive drops on at least 1 side of you. The laws need to accommodate people in this sort of environment as well as those in cities and towns who have much better roads and safety where the main danger is other traffic which hurts just as much whatever you're on.

Alot of people don't care for the technicalities of learning to ride well, both on the limit and off, they do what they need to pass and then move on. It's probably beneficial for them to have a small accident on a moped or 125 for a reality check, I had mine at 55mph at 17 and was in constant pain for almost a month as I was lucky to be on a straight, fairly wide and open road and wearing all the gear and I'm just left with a misshaped bone on my elbow. I could easily have been doing 75 or 80mph in the same situation on my current bike and have done some serious damage as I would have ploughed in to a moving vehicle on the other side most likely were the incident the same. The cause? Tiniest bit of oil on a wet, slick bit of road, I went near the brakes just a touch (traffic) and was immediately gone like black ice and was ejected and thrown across near the centre of the road. I used to think I was a decent rider then and I got caught out for one moment and I realised later that could have been game over had I had the money for a better bike which legally I was allowed. Thanks to that accident and my experience since, I now know I'm a good rider but I also know how quickly I could go to a dead one and that is a key quality young riders often lack regardless of how good they actually are.

I'd rather have way to strict laws then what may be considered 'fair', as a petrolhead I've always had much more knowledge then most comparable age drivers and riders particularly of the physics of how a vehicle will react and how as a pilot of that vehicle I can prevent danger or control it and I have some skill in the area thanks to practice in more controlled environments. Unfortunately most people just want to go fast with absolutely no knowledge of where the limit is.

[/Rant]

Last edited:
Each entitled to their own I guess.

Apologise for such an epic long post about it, you probably didn't read the whole thing. I feel very strongly on the matter because of how lucky I was to come out of a potentially fatal situation relatively unscathed. All to often you here about people having serious accidents and people die on the roads around my home a worrying amount, when I went home near Xmas a car was on it's roof through a hedge less then a minute from my home and that wasn't the first time I'd seen one. I know I've ridden in ways at times in the past where that could have been me, with no metal cage to protect me.

Apologise for such an epic long post about it, you probably didn't read the whole thing. I feel very strongly on the matter because of how lucky I was to come out of a potentially fatal situation relatively unscathed. All to often you here about people having serious accidents and people die on the roads around my home a worrying amount, when I went home near Xmas a car was on it's roof through a hedge less then a minute from my home and that wasn't the first time I'd seen one. I know I've ridden in ways at times in the past where that could have been me, with no metal cage to protect me.

I read it all and I understand where you are coming from. It's hard to be in those situations and not have those feelings.

I read it all and I understand where you are coming from. It's hard to be in those situations and not have those feelings.

I'm glad it wasn't to dry then :lol:. The main thing for me is I have a strong interest in riding and driving, it's a hobby and a necessity. Alot of young drivers just don't care enough about what they're doing and are either far to confident or far to nervous aren't thinking clearly about the task. For someone my age (and gender) it's unusual for someone who likes racing and riding 'spiritedly' shall we say to also be so pro-safety but there's a time and a place for these things and it shouldn't not be a rushed learning process in my eyes. The more experience, the better.

Back on topic, if you're looking at used 125 or 50s think carefully about 2 stroke v 4 stroke. Reliability v simplicity to fix, power v economy (though 2 strokes will be restricted more heavily, if you're removing that maximum output is likely higher). Above all else though don't cheap out for what you're buying, if you see a wonderful looking RS125 that's super cheap, there's got to be a reason.

I'm glad it wasn't to dry then :lol:. The main thing for me is I have a strong interest in riding and driving, it's a hobby and a necessity. Alot of young drivers just don't care enough about what they're doing and are either far to confident or far to nervous aren't thinking clearly about the task. For someone my age (and gender) it's unusual for someone who likes racing and riding 'spiritedly' shall we say to also be so pro-safety but there's a time and a place for these things and it shouldn't not be a rushed learning process in my eyes. The more experience, the better.

True. Most of my friends around here just want to go rip **** up. lol

Its all about the Aprilia RX 50, Cagiva W4 Pro 50,... If you can find a good one and you like changing gear... 2stroke power means 55mph..and alot of fun.

Each entitled to their own I guess.
Being from different countries its hard to reccomend a bike or car for one another, because over here its mostly rainy with bumpy bendy roads lots of elevation change everywhere you go excluding motorways highways.
Where as in america it seems you can go drive 10 miles between bends which means having more displacement makes the bike ridable on straight roads, unless you live next to a canyon/mountain road.
small capacity is a good place to start in Europe

Go classic man.

Yamaha FS1E.

Kawasaki AR50.

Either of those will do 60mph with a slight tweak.

Not sure if you could find a good one on your budget, but a tired one you could.
Thing is, if you kept it, got a bigger bike when you are old enough, and still kept it, it will be worth a fortune in years to come.
Especially if it's the FS1E.

They look old school, they will probably get you laughed at, until you wind the bike up, and destroy everybody else's.....

I'll butt out.

:irked:👍

Go classic man.

Yamaha FS1E.

Kawasaki AR50.

Either of those will do 60mph with a slight tweak.

Not sure if you could find a good one on your budget, but a tired one you could.
Thing is, if you kept it, got a bigger bike when you are old enough, and still kept it, it will be worth a fortune in years to come.
Especially if it's the FS1E.

They look old school, they will probably get you laughed at, until you wind the bike up, and destroy everybody else's.....

I'll butt out.

:irked:👍

Just saw this post, thanks VEXD. I love the look of old motorcycles, there's something simple and honest about them..

homeforsummer
You won't do it for £330 though! Have you seen how much Fizzies go for these days?

Yeah, I sold my old slo-ped for £330. Hence the amount I have for this geared ma-bob..

I'm looking into 125cc motorbikes too. I had my moped and am now moving onto a 125 as they can do a reasonable speed 60-80mph depending on what you buy and are fairly cheap insurance wise compared to a car.

I like the look of supermotos and that's what I'm going to go for. The big Japanese companies like Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda and Yamaha all do their own 125cc supermoto but at brand new they cost a fair bit £2500-4500.

Then there are the Chinese companies, Pulse, Sinnis and a few others for example that do 125cc supermoto's at a lower price brand new from £1400-£2000 depending on what you want.

Now I have done a fair bit of research on the bike Sinnis Apache 125cc. The engine is made by Qingqi (thinks thats the name) which are a Chinese company that make engines for lots of Chinese bikes. However, as I read into more detail I found out that engine used in the Sinnis Apache is actually very good. Qingqi make lots of engines for Suzuki low end power bikes, so that leads me to think the Sinnis Apache could be a decent bike. That's not to say the overall parts and screws will be low cost and tacky but thats what you get with Chinese bikes.

I know people say don't go Chinese, go Japanese but if you know what your paying for you know what your going to get. Chinese bikes are cheaper because their made on a budget using low cost parts. Whereas the Japanese are more expensive but you get a good quality bike with stronger well built parts.

So when I buy my Sinnis Apache next year I know the build of the bike will be low quality and I may have to buy parts here and there in the future but if your willing to accept the fact you may have to buy parts here and there due to build quality then you can buy that Chinese bike you want. But I'll rest assure knowing that the engine in my Sinnis is also used in low end Suzuki bikes, so hopefully no engine problems.

If you take care of your bike, treat it well, store it well, maintain it's performance then you don't have to worry what people say about Chinese bikes, as long as you know you've kept yours well and maintained it properly...

Back