...

  • Thread starter Thread starter orubasarot
  • 22 comments
  • 1,949 views
yup. I know what the flaw is..........You still need a screen capable of the higher resolution output............
You could of course hook it to your computer monitor but then you are faced with two issues.
1, your monitor is most likely less than 19 inches and
2. There are things to connect to a monitor for a LOT less.
 
what I mean by my post is

You can buy the unit that will output the signal, but if you don't have the hardware screen that can DISPLAY a signal of that quality then what is the point?
 
http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=67&Itemid=28


I ordered that and it works fantastic :), Allows 480i (if your monitor can use it) and very cheap (75 dollars) But seriously works like a comlete charm, even has a brightness adjuster on it.

Pictures are very very sharp but again that also depends on your montior, my 7 year old compaq CRT runs it fantastic though

I've made A few posts around here about it, if you search for it, I even made a "faq" type post about it :)
 
Like you said, the problem is to find a screen that supports 480i. I have a similar converter and just that problem. Do you have any idea where to look up which screens support 480i and which don't?

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
Actually I dont, I was simply Amazed that my 19Inch LCD was able to do it O.O

But my 7 year old compaq cannot do 480i, I would figure it'd be completely visa versa, I think on the Vidigi Forums they have people who say what monitors do and dont work with 480i, You should check it out :)

Or you can get the 19inch Xerox LCD which seems to do it fine :)
 
ChristmasGTO
I think on the Vidigi Forums they have people who say what monitors do and dont work with 480i, You should check it out :)
I already did, but it's kind of hard to get reliable information from there. There are loads of requests for specific monitors, but there are almost no answers or the standard "you have to try it to know"-answer. I don't blame the Vdigi crew, they're doing a great job. The problem is that pretty much no monitor officially supports 480i. When you look at the specs and they say that it won't, it still can if you're lucky.

On the other hand, there are people confirming that the Viewsonic p95f(+) does do 480i, but there are others with the same monitor that say it doesn't. It's hard to get hold of a Viewsonic monitor here in Germany anyway, especially of a p95f. So now, I don't want to get a monitor where people claim that it does 480i, and once I bought it, it doesn't do it.

What I'm rather looking for is a 21" CRT. You can get them on eBay easily for less than 100€, and the size would just be perfect. The problem is to find the one that does 480i. Mostly, even the manufacturers and the sellers on eBay don't know this, as it is a very unusual question.

Which Xerox model do you have by the way, I'd like to have a look at it. The problem is that I'm trying not to spend a fortune on this.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
What I was trying to say was look at the cost.
75-150 bucks for the hardware
400-800 for a "above 20 inch computer monitor that supports the resolution"
30-80 for high quality cables
That's about 700 to a grand for a HDTV quality setup.
You might as well just spend the grand and get a HDTV

As far as a standard tv or a computer monitor that doesn't support the higher res. If the monitor can't display it, than it doesn't matter what the machine can output.

If you look at the cost. You could get the real deal for about as much. If you had a computer monitor laying around, there are cheaper units that do just as well. So what is the point?
 
You are trying to create a High Definition setup to play your playstation on. You are trying to compare a 1000-2000 dollar 25-32 inch HDTV setup with a 200 dollar 17 inch monitor. Now, place your monitor where you put your normal television........what does it look like? Not so big eh? How much would a 25-32 inch Computer monitor cost? About the same as the HDTV television.

So where exactly are you saving money?
And if your goal is only to hook your PS2 up to a computer monitor in high definition quality, you can find other hardware that does it for less than half the price of the 150 dollar device you have there.


Why are you using cheap mad catz cables? They aren't as good as S-video and they are NOT anywhere as good as component or fiber optic. For all that work you just did to enhance the quality of the signal, those mad catz ruined it all. I'd rather run a system with Svideo on a standard Tube tv than mad catz on a monitor.

You seem to be forgeting, it does you no good to have one part of your setup be super badass if the rest is junk.
 
Would you please stop talking about the cost of this thing, as it is not the actual problem? Like I said, I don't want to spend a fortune, so here's what I paid:

universal component high def VGA box: 71.50$
PS2 component cable: 10.30$
21" CRT monitor from eBay: 70-100$ (haven't bought that yet)

That's a total of 150-180$.

For getting a huge monitor I can also use with my PC, I can't complain. The set already works with 480p and 1080i on other monitors I have, I just need to find one that supports 480i. A HDTV set would be way more expensive, as almost noone here in Germany has even ever heard of HDTV.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
ask your mother to get some from the butcher.brains from a horse of so. you shouldn't be smart to press an X
 
Back