• Thread starter Conza
  • 1 comments

Conza

Sports Caraholic
Premium
Australia
Melbourne
Conza_No1
I want to preface this by saying, I haven't personally used an SSD in my PS3, so for people that have, and it was an upgrade to a 7200rpm, and you've noticed a performance improvement great.

I read an article somewhere, and I've just done a search for it again and I can't find it, but surfice to say, it made the conclusion that a 7200rpm wasn't any slower than an SSD when used in a PS3 (I think it was a slim).

So, instead of getting a 64GB or a 128GB or something inbetween SSD, I went and spent $85 on a 7200rpm, I planned to recycle the virtually new 5400rpm in my dying laptop.

Now, I've got to say, once I backed up and restored my PS3, onto the new drive, the performance improvement is pretty bloody impressive, to be frank, I didn't record the times for loading anything before hand, which isn't very scientific I know, but previously I would've spent 10-15 minutes of just loading time in every 90 minutes of play, now I think excluding that compulsory initial load (which doesn't seem much faster), everything else seems about twice as fast.

So, if you were thinking of doing the same, I highly reccommend it, it takes about an hour or so to restore, and another hour before that to back up, a few bits and pieces (removing the old hdd, some screws, installing the new one), and you should have the latest PS3 update.pup file available as well, which I forgot, and I think that's about it, everything seems just as it was before on my XMB, only GT5 is a bit faster.

Depends on the HDD.
in my fat I have a 7200rpm 500GB and sometimes it doesn't start correctly due to the 7200.
I think it was only the first models of ps3 though

Back