6 games later and still.....

  • Thread starter Thread starter IvanNYC48st
  • 29 comments
  • 3,307 views
Messages
12
Messages
ivanNYC48st
No throttle-off oversteer in front wheel drive cars known to exhibit this characteristic.

Example: The new Ford Focus ST is notoriously known for liking to swing its tail around yet in GT6 theres no way in hell you can induce oversteer without resorting to the handbrake.

As a matter of fact, even when resorting to tuning the suspension for oversteer, the car still cant oversteer. tsk tsk tsk.....
 
No throttle-off oversteer in front wheel drive cars known to exhibit this characteristic.

Example: The new Ford Focus ST is notoriously known for liking to swing its tail around yet in GT6 theres no way in hell you can induce oversteer without resorting to the handbrake.

As a matter of fact, even when resorting to tuning the suspension for oversteer, the car still cant oversteer. tsk tsk tsk.....

When you realize that you are trying to kick out the tail of a FWD car then you will see the problem.
 
Quite a few sporty FF cars are very prone to oversteer. Meganes, dc2 ITRs, MKVs, Ford Fiesta ST, Focus ST.

Just google Focus ST and you will see. Despite the stability control kicking in, I can flick my MK6 GTI into a slide for a few seconds before the S.C correcting.
 
FWD cars are designed to be understeer biased for road safety.

Just sayin'...
 
FWD and the MAJORITY of cars regardless of their layout.
 
Maybe a hard flick and throttle in the lower gears will get what you want.
 
Could always be a different tune? Aren't default cars tuned for understeer?
 
I had a Prelude Type-SH with 450lb springs front and rear and a 27mm rear sway bar. It would kick the tail out at the limit whether on or off the throttle.
 
Could always be a different tune? Aren't default cars tuned for understeer?

I thought of that as well, especially since every car in the game starts out with a +20 toe in the rear! I bought suspension and added the -toe but still couldnt get the rear to step out no matter what method: trail braking, scandinavian flick, throttle off etc... It's a GT physics thing with FF cars. It's always been present, I just thought they would have figured out something is wrong, especially since they have quite a few FF kings such as the Type Rs.
 
I had a Prelude Type-SH with 450lb springs front and rear and a 27mm rear sway bar. It would kick the tail out at the limit whether on or off the throttle.

IIRC, one of the car magazines once called the Prelude the Front Driver that drove like RWD.
 
Sending the brake bias to the back, zero front and ten rear, can get what you desire. I don't really mess with suspension as that may apply unwanted characteristics.
 
IIRC, one of the car magazines once called the Prelude the Front Driver that drove like RWD.
The Type-SH with the ATTS unit did. It transferred up to 70% of the torque to the outside wheel under heavy cornering. It was a pretty amazing little vehicle. I spun it quite few times in the 8 years I owned it, (mostly on the track).
 
The Type-SH with the ATTS unit did. It transferred up to 70% of the torque to the outside wheel under heavy cornering. It was a pretty amazing little vehicle. I spun it quite few times in the 8 years I owned it, (mostly on the track).

take any fwd and try to replicate those spinouts/oversteer in gt6.....
 
When you realize that you are trying to kick out the tail of a FWD car then you will see the problem.

When you understand the physics behind it, you will see that it's possible to kick the tail of FWD cars out. It simply requires different techniques to those used for RWD cars, something the OP seems to be familiar with.

As he says, a few of the more modern sporty FWD cars are quite prone to this in real life.
 
When you understand the physics behind it, you will see that it's possible to kick the tail of FWD cars out. It simply requires different techniques to those used for RWD cars, something the OP seems to be familiar with.

As he says, a few of the more modern sporty FWD cars are quite prone to this in real life.

I guess only you, prelude and myself have experienced this in FWD.
 
BTW, not to start forza vs gt thread war, but Forza 4 replicated this just fine! I remember spinning out my MazdaSpeed3 and Civic Hatchback countless times due to lift off oversteer.
 
My brother had a built '96 Civic coupe, (B18B swap, small turbo, limited slip, comparable suspension to my Prelude), and we spun that thing numerous times autocrossing. It is very possible. Most cars, FWD vehicles in particular, are set up from the factory to understeer at the limit. This is because the average driver cannot control a vehicle in a tail slide. My Prelude for example, came from the factory with something like 280lb springs in the front and 150lb springs in the rear along with a thicker front sway bar than in the rear. This is to keep the front stiff and the rear loose so the front gives up traction first causing understeer at the limit. Swapping in a thicker rear sway bar and stiffer rear springs will make all the difference in the world in terms of handling on a FWD car.
 
I used to be big on the Prelude forums and guys would always ask about my suspension setup when they saw my autocross videos. I always warned them that kind of setup is not for the faint of heart or inexperienced driver. A setup like that will kill you if you decide to lift midway through a corner. You definitely have to have some confidence and stay committed to the pedal on the right all the way through the apex.
 
BTW, not to start forza vs gt thread war, but Forza 4 replicated this just fine! I remember spinning out my MazdaSpeed3 and Civic Hatchback countless times due to lift off oversteer.
If you ask me FM4 wasn't quite "just fine," it was also too understeery and stable (except when you put the power down in a RWD, it certainly has that figured out!). But of course that doesn't change the fact that it sits closer to real life than GT.

As for real life, yeah, almost any car can be provoked to oversteer if you go looking for it.
 
I can tell you from driving only FWD ( I cant have an opinion in FR or 4WD cars) cars , especially my Seat Ibiza Cupra which is in the game.

Most cars on circuit behave a lot more different than on the road ,even with road tyres.My car understeers a lot ,with mods on front and rear suspension and stiffer RARB , I managed to oversteer on the road and it drove like pooh. BUT on circuit with the same setup it was a very neutral ,no oversteer,understeer situation.

With the same setup ,on different roads,circuit,a car`s behavior can change dramatically.
 
I can get lift off oversteer on the Clio R.S. It's possible, but nothing like that ST- just a little counter-steer needed, not opposite lock. I know lift-off is cool, but why anyone would actually WANT that to happen is beyond me. You could also complain about 4WD, RR... and on. Nothing is going to be 100% perfect in this game or any game for that matter.
 
Back