60 GB Xbox360 in August *new* (USA) 349 $

• Thread starter Max_DC
  • 13 comments
Germany
Germany
Wangan01
Wangan01
Microsoft unveils 60GB Xbox 360, cuts price on 20GB model

Microsoft is to introduce a new model Xbox 360 with a 60 GB hard drive, to retail for USD 349.

The new SKU will go on sale in the US and Canada in early August. The price of the current 20GB model has now been reduced to USD 299.

"We know consumers need more and more space to store the amazing digital content Xbox 360 offers, and we're giving it to them at no extra charge," said Albert Penello, Xbox director of product management at Microsoft.

"No one device offers the depth and breadth of entertainment that Xbox 360 can deliver, and now you'll have three times the storage to manage all that great content."

The prices of the other two Xbox 360 SKUs will remain the same. The Arcade unit sells for USD 279 in the US, and the Elite model for USD 449.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Well, might be interesting for some people... for me it isn't ;) - although if I had to buy a new one I'd pay those extra 50 bucks for 40 GB more space, 20 GB is on the edge, mine is always kinda full... and I'm not even downloading movies...

Personally I dont see why they are only giving an extra 40GB, and for $50 more. Total rip off!!

They should be giving you a 120GB HDD for that kind of cash!

Personally I dont see why they are only giving an extra 40GB, and for $50 more. Total rip off!!

They should be giving you a 120GB HDD for that kind of cash!

They are doing it because people are going to pay for it. Microsoft isn't stupid, they know exactly what they are doing.

They are doing it because people are going to pay for it. Microsoft isn't stupid, they know exactly what they are doing.

I know M$ are not stupid, and I know people will pay for it, but that doesn't mean its not a rip-off, which is what my post was saying.

If you think it's a rip off, than don't buy it. It's that simple. Microsoft will only stop doing this when people stop buying their products.

However, it doesn't really seem that that big of a rip off. 80GB notebook hard drives are still about $100 if you want a good one.

1. If you think it's a rip off, than don't buy it. It's that simple.

2. Microsoft will only stop doing this when people stop buying their products.

3. However, it doesn't really seem that that big of a rip off. 80GB notebook hard drives are still about $100 if you want a good one.

1. I dont plan on buying it, I already have a 360

2. True, but that doesn't mean their products are not rip-offs

3. I dont know where you get your prices from, but I can get a 320GB Western Digital 2.5" SATA HDD for £59.99 delivered (about $120). So never mind a 60GB or an 80GB HDD!

EDIT: Just had a look and an 80GB Western Digital 2.5" SATA HDD is £32 delivered (about $64). Thats for a consumer. Obviously M$ will purchase them in bulk for less than half that.

Note I said "notebook" hard drive, not desktop hard drive. The 360's hard drive doesn't seem all that big (size wise) so I would wager it's closer to a notebook hard drive than a desktop one. I know desktop ones are stupidly cheap, you can get 500GB ones for next to nothing now.

This one is $87, yes there are cheaper ones (80GB) but you are still going to pay about $70 for them and you have to factor in about $10 to ship the thing to you.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149077

It's not really a rip off when you think that it's Microsoft's own version of a hard drive (a bad move I believe) and it's still closely priced to notebook hard drives on the internet.

Really though if I was going to upgrade my hard drive I would probably get this once in came back into stock. That's a 120GB's for $90, a far better deal for your 360.
http://www.consumerdepot.com/products.asp?id=XBOX360-120HDD&referer=google

You can still get it for $150 if you want it now as well, which is still not that much more than a notebook hard drive of the same size.
http://www.gameexpress.com/product_detail.cfm?UPC=882224460941

One thing I do not know is the speed of the 360's hard drive so I can't compare that to anything.

It's not really that big of a rip off when you think about it, and as I've said if you think it is no one is forcing you to buy the product. I also don't really know why you would care since you aren't in the market to buy a 360 anyways.

Note I said "notebook" hard drive, not desktop hard drive.

Note I said 2.5" NOT 3.5"!

2.5" is a notebook HDD, and 3.5" is a desktop HDD!!

Even the HDD you link to says...

Physical Spec

Form Factor 2.5"

All I said was $50 for an extra 40GB is a rip-off, and it is. If you dont agree, then fine.

One thing I do not know is the speed of the 360's hard drive so I can't compare that to anything.

Its 5400 RPM according to XBOX360HDD.com.

XBOX360HDD.com
The Xbox 360 Premium configuration comes with an external hard drive (HDD) and it is optional to separately purchase one for the Core system . The detachable 20 GB hard drive is not required for standard games. XB HDD is a 2.5" hard drive - connected through a SATA interface and spins at 5400 revolutions per minute.

All I said was $50 for an extra 40GB is a rip-off, and it is. If you don't agree, then fine.

It might not be as big of a rip-off as you think. The cheapest 60GB on newegg is $49.99 and the cheapest 80GB is $59.99. Then you have to add the cost for the casing Microsoft makes.

Edit: The cheapest 80GB is $52.99 without factoring in shipping.

Wow so I overlooked one number and you jump on me about it? Really it's not that big of a deal. Sorry I misread your post.

Road_Dogg pretty much said the same thing I was going to say so I'll just let him handle it.

Wow so I overlooked one number and you jump on me about it?

A bit like when you jumped on me when you though I was referring to a desktop HDD?

It might not be as big of a rip-off as you think. The cheapest 60GB on newegg is $49.99 and the cheapest 80GB is $59.99. Then you have to add the cost for the casing Microsoft makes.

Edit: The cheapest 80GB is $52.99 without factoring in shipping.

Fair enough, but thats $53 for an 80GB HDD. Remember that this is $50 for just 40GB extra space....thats like paying $50 for a 40GB HDD!

The main reason I reckon its a rip off is because when this comes over to the UK it will probably be an extra £50 for us. Like I said, over here I can get a 320GB HDD for £59.99 delivered, never mind a 60GB HDD.

Personally I dont think 40GB of extra space is worth $50, but that just my personal opinion.

Personally I dont think 40GB of extra space is worth $50, but that just my personal opinion.

I don't either, but this sort of thing is expected for consoles. It's probably why Microsoft chose to manufacture their own hard drives.

I don't either, but this sort of thing is expected for consoles.

Not all consoles. PS3 uses a standard 2.5" SATA HDD (5400 RPM) and you can replace it with any sized 2.5" SATA HDD you want as long as it is at least 5400 RPM.

It's probably why Microsoft chose to manufacture their own hard drives.

Its not their own HDD, its actually a standard 2.5" HDD (most likely Seagate) and all M$ do is load up software to it and stick it into their own casing. Nothing more.

You can actually change your HDD yourself, but you require certain software to read the data off it and back to the new HDD. Also certain sectors have to be written with certain data for different HDD sizes, etc. Its a pain, but it can be done.

Back