61 year old newbie wants to build a racign rig

• Thread starter steamcat
  • 28 comments
I've been playing GT5 since December using a cobbled together stand and kitchen chair as a cockpit. I'm ready to move up to a more substantial racing rig and plan on building a rig using the plans from RicmoTech (I've got a shop full of woodworking equipment so building it shouldn't be an issue). I also want to get more into iRacing as well. I want to throw out a few questions to the group for discussion. My apologies if these have been covered in other forums already.
  • Should I use a flat screen TV or computer monitor? Why? Will either of these work with both the PS3 and a PC?
  • What would be a recommended size for a screen sitting on the front of the rig? Is there a "formula" one can use taking into consideration distance from the eyes, Field if View, screen resolution, etc.
  • I also want to keep open the option of using 3 screens for a more imersive experience sometime in the future. I know you can purchase a graphics card for a PC to handle this but does the PS3 handle 3 screens as well?
  • I'd like to add some tactile shaker to the rig. Again, I believe this is easily done with a PC setup but how about the PS3?
  • Is there a web site that lays out the diffeent equipment and wiring options to make it all work?
I'm coming up fast on my 61st birthday and a lot of this stuff is brand new to me. But it sure is fun to play and learn :)

PS. My wife was the one who actually brought up the idea of a dedicated racing space - so I'm jumping on the idea RIGHT NOW !!

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

I think the general consensus is that TVs are better because you can get huge ones (check out Left's rig!), but for GT5 you need three PS3s and three copies of GT5 for triple monitor play, a lot of people (myself included) set out to have GT5 on all three screens of their rig but some (like me) give up because PC sims are just so much better that it loses it's appeal.

I'm posting from my phone so I can't remember your other questions but I'm sure others will be along soon enough, I'll try to reply in full when I'm home.

I think the general consensus is that TVs are better because you can get huge ones (check out Left's rig!), but for GT5 you need three PS3s and three copies of GT5 for triple monitor play, a lot of people (myself included) set out to have GT5 on all three screens of their rig but some (like me) give up because PC sims are just so much better that it loses it's appeal.

So I'm assuming that TV's will work ok as a monitor for iRacing? Are there any technical details I need to be aware of if I purchase a TV to use on both the PS3 and with a PC?

steamcat
So I'm assuming that TV's will work ok as a monitor for iRacing? Are there any technical details I need to be aware of if I purchase a TV to use on both the PS3 and with a PC?

For your rig, there is buy it ir build it. If you want to buy it, there are many people here who could direct you to different retailers that sell quality setups. I always build my own so I wouldnt know. If DIY interests you then research the thread entitled "post your GT5 mancave pics". Its a treasure trove of ideas for the beginner. As for monitors... Theres a lot of ways people do that as well. Tripple monitors, tripple projection, etc, I use single projector myself. you just need to make sure if you want multiple monitors you have eyefinity supported graphics card and your tv/monitor has a few HDMI inputs

Nowadays there's little difference between TV and computer monitor. Some computer monitor comes with slightly different screen ratio 16:10 as oppose to TV's 16:9. If you want to use for both get the 16:9 screen ratio.

If they're both share the same screen resolution- Full HD which is 1920x1080 than there's less to think about. Some higher end computer monitors have higher resolution but you don't use that for gaming.

Next is the connectors- again both TV and monitors are now using HDMI so you can use either one with either PC or PS3/Xbox.

If you can afford it, go for a higher refresh rate- 120Hz. It's perhaps redundant for PS3/Xbox but for PC with some higher end video card you can push higher frame-rate (200 frame per second). It's one of the best solution to reducing input/video lag.

I had problems with overscan when I hooked my PC up to my TV, but I'm sure that can be dealt with with some gentle research, maybe. I got around it by setting a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel but that caused problems with some games, but I'm sure if you get TVs with DVI ports or newer TVs they'll recognise PC input, plenty of people do it so there must be an easy solution that I wasn't aware of I suppose.

If you can afford it, go for a higher refresh rate- 120Hz. It's perhaps redundant for PS3/Xbox but for PC with some higher end video card you can push higher frame-rate (200 frame per second). It's one of the best solution to reducing input/video lag.

I don't know about latest video cards but as far as I know, it doesn't matter what tv you got. My tv allows up to 800Hz, but computer still allows only no matter what 60Hz.

I don't know about latest video cards but as far as I know, it doesn't matter what tv you got. My tv allows up to 800Hz, but computer still allows only no matter what 60Hz.

iRacing which happens to be more CPU than GPU dependant probably doesn't benefit from higher-end GFX card. The same can be said of rFactor.

But to achieve higher than 60Hz frame rate, you need to disable things like V-Sync and run rFactor, for example, at fixed framerate (with good mid-end GPU+GFX combination in older sims like rFactor you should be able to a achieve over 60fps). You also need to modify the player .PLR file:

"Setting negative numbers there (triggering a different timing setting) works best, so -60 for any 60hz monitor, or -120 if you have enough pc power to reach 120fps."

Also apart from the refresh rate look for monitor with low lag time- 2 to 3ms although a bit more expensive than the normal 5ms monitors would work as well as the higher refresh rate TV (although TVs are cheaper).

Of course, this is about reducing or eliminating input lag e.g. when you watch a video showing the virtual/on-screen cockpit/steering and the real steering wheel and you're able to see the difference in movement (in sims with full 1:1 steering movement like iRacing or rFactor).

Last edited:
First thing you must decide, how much do you want to spend.

Ah yes - the question of money !! It would seem that, just like racing in the real world, sim racing costs money. (As an aside, one of the best racing quotes I've heard was "The only thing that beats cubic inches is rectangular dollars". How true.)

The actual rig itself shouldn't cost much. I suspect I have most of the materials on hand already and certainly have all the tools to build it. I've got a G27 wheel and pedals with a Nixim spring upgrade (yet to be installed). I've got the PS3 and the latest GT5. Initially, I just want to get the rig set up for GT5 with an eye to running iRacing when I can afford a decent PC (that's a future budget decision).

The big decision right now is what kind of monitor/TV to buy that can handle both the PS3 and a PC. I would say that my budget for a monitor/TV would be in the $300 - 400 range.

I've also got to budget for some sort of sound system but I've had good luck with some of the local pawn shops. It doesn't have to be state of the art right now. We got a nice little 5.1 surround sound system for next to nothing and have been very pleased with it. If I could find something similar for the rig, I'd be a happy boy.

First - thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

Although I got lost in all the technical "mumbo-jumbo", it feels to me that a computer monitor is the way to go - especially if I'm thinking of getting into iRacing. Am I right in assuming that if the monitor has a 16:9 ratio and comes with an HDMI connection, the Playstation will run on it as well??

What size did you need again? Is there much difference in price between a monitor and flatscreen? Remember that most games are not even 1080p yet so you dont need a 4000k resolution monitor to run iRacing on, any 720p will be fine. Unless you have a rediculously expensive PC with the latest and greatest graphics card you wont notice the difference

Ah yes - the question of money !! It would seem that, just like racing in the real world, sim racing costs money. (As an aside, one of the best racing quotes I've heard was "The only thing that beats cubic inches is rectangular dollars". How true.)

The actual rig itself shouldn't cost much. I suspect I have most of the materials on hand already and certainly have all the tools to build it. I've got a G27 wheel and pedals with a Nixim spring upgrade (yet to be installed). I've got the PS3 and the latest GT5. Initially, I just want to get the rig set up for GT5 with an eye to running iRacing when I can afford a decent PC (that's a future budget decision).

The big decision right now is what kind of monitor/TV to buy that can handle both the PS3 and a PC. I would say that my budget for a monitor/TV would be in the $300 - 400 range.

I've also got to budget for some sort of sound system but I've had good luck with some of the local pawn shops. It doesn't have to be state of the art right now. We got a nice little 5.1 surround sound system for next to nothing and have been very pleased with it. If I could find something similar for the rig, I'd be a happy boy.

Might want to check on headsets to use to start out with, someone with headset chime in here to give feedback as I'm using 7.1 sound system with HDMI.

First - thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

Although I got lost in all the technical "mumbo-jumbo", it feels to me that a computer monitor is the way to go - especially if I'm thinking of getting into iRacing. Am I right in assuming that if the monitor has a 16:9 ratio and comes with an HDMI connection, the Playstation will run on it as well??

The simplest answer is yes to HDMI and 16:9 ratio but another important specification is the (full) HD screen resolution which is 1920x1080 although it's pretty much given that most recent LCD/LED monitors support that resolution.

Also looking at your budget ($300-$400/ea), you can get a pretty good quality 24"-27". For example, here's one from ASUS- a 27" Full HD (1920x1080) with HDMI input and with optional VESA mount (100mmx100mm compliant). The VESA mount comes in handy if you were to get into full racing rig and multiple monitor mount: http://tiny.cc/tn4igw

Last edited:
Might want to check on headsets to use to start out with, someone with headset chime in here to give feedback as I'm using 7.1 sound system with HDMI.

Astro has a new A50 model that is coming out. Worth a look.

http://www.astrogaming.com/a50/a50-wireless-system

I use A40's and IMO they are more immersive then speakers, especially if you primarily play by yourself. Headphones is the way to go. 👍

Edit: Forgot to mention I also own the $100 wireless PS3 headphones and they work pretty good as well. 👍
Only thing is they don't work with a buttkicker so if you ever plan to add a buttkicker you will need to avoid those.

Last edited:
Good points about headphones, I forgot to mention they are crutial to a lot of racers who have family members or neighbors who would be disturbed if we raced at the volumes we'd prefer to all the time (which is most of us). Although ideally it would be better to have a basement setup with an awesome thundering surround sound, a good set of headphones is the best place to start, your wife will thank you! (Plus, race cars are loud in real life, sooooo you gotta simulate that too if you really want the immersion, CRANK IT UP!!)
edit: There is a seperate headphones thread, but I love my Sennheiser Wireless RS160's.

Last edited:
Good points about headphones, I forgot to mention they are crutial to a lot of racers who have family members or neighbors who would be disturbed if we raced at the volumes we'd prefer to all the time (which is most of us). Although ideally it would be better to have a basement setup with an awesome thundering surround sound, a good set of headphones is the best place to start, your wife will thank you! (Plus, race cars are loud in real life, sooooo you gotta simulate that too if you really want the immersion, CRANK IT UP!!)
edit: There is a seperate headphones thread, but I love my Sennheiser Wireless RS160's.

Loud IS fun when racing !! But not all the cars in GT5 sound good. Some are down right annoying after a while and I will switch to another car. My favorite so far is the C6 ZR1 Corvette race car.

Although I prefer speakers over headphones, headphones can make for a more "harmonious" living arrangement :) My rig will be set up in a small room at the bottom of the baement stairs. Concrete floors and walls with very little on them. In other words, a space where the sound will be quite "lively". Great place to crank it up. Not so great if the sound migrates upstairs. Headphones may be a necessary option if I'm not alone in the house.

Loud IS fun when racing !! But not all the cars in GT5 sound good. Some are down right annoying after a while and I will switch to another car. My favorite so far is the C6 ZR1 Corvette race car.

Although I prefer speakers over headphones, headphones can make for a more "harmonious" living arrangement :) My rig will be set up in a small room at the bottom of the baement stairs. Concrete floors and walls with very little on them. In other words, a space where the sound will be quite "lively". Great place to crank it up. Not so great if the sound migrates upstairs. Headphones may be a necessary option if I'm not alone in the house.

Or earplugs for the "Boss":nervous:.

When my wife puts in earplugs because I'm doing something thats "too loud", it's the equivalent to "fine". i.e. bad news...

If DIY interests you then research the thread entitled "post your GT5 mancave pics". Its a treasure trove of ideas for the beginner.

That thread is all photos in GT5. Does anybody know the one with the home rigs?

What seating position you want is also something to consider. I made a rig with a rather upright seating position, great for street cars and most race cars but driving the F2007 or when playing F1 I feel much too high up. I'm contemplating making a mock F1 car out of plywood/MDF and fiberglass when my wallet finds an extra $1000-$1500

Do you want to mount your H shifter? AN Ebrake? A button box? You may want to consider a side console or allow a space to attach them to the cockpit itself.

And for tactile, from what I've seen you need a stereo receiver with LPF (sub) output, a sub amp, and the transducers. For 5/7 channel surround sound and tactile, you need two receivers, and you need to split the HDMI feed from Ps3/PC to BOTH receivers, one receiver for speakers, the other receiver (set at low pass on all channels if possible) going to the sub amps (one for each channel), which are connected to each transducer in turn.

The surround tactile would be awesome, but $$$$$$$$$!!!!

The surround tactile would be awesome, but $$$$$$$$$!!!!

In other words, you can build ANYTHING your racing heart desires. Just add money as required :)

I plan on starting with a good, solid basic rig and add to it as I can afford it. The problem is dividing X amount of dollars into Y number of hobbies and interests. And I don't have a really rich relative with a bad cough :sly:

pilmat
That thread is all photos in GT5. Does anybody know the one with the home rigs?

That is not just for GT5, I posted my home built rig in that section even though I have never played GT5. My post has pics of Forza.

steamcat
In other words, you can build ANYTHING your racing heart desires. Just add money as required :)

I plan on starting with a good, solid basic rig and add to it as I can afford it. The problem is dividing X amount of dollars into Y number of hobbies and interests. And I don't have a really rich relative with a bad cough :sly:

Yes its all about getting what you consider the most fun experience out of your budget. Some people think full motion setup is the first thing to splurge on, others will tell you tripple screens are the end-all-be-all, for others its about the wheel and pedals themselves so they will have a $700 CSW sitting on a cheap coffee table. Just research what you think is the best part of sim racing and make that your priority. Me, I would love to buy an expensive motion rig but if I spent the money on that I couldnt afford a new computer to run the best graphics, so I built my own to save money. What I didnt expect was how much fun I was going to have building a race cockpit! I spent more hours designing and building my "racecar" than I ever did racing it.
Edit: of course if I had the money to do everything I stated above my name would be Mayaman.

Last edited:

Just remember one thing each time you get into the rig you will have to get out! In other words build it high enough so yo don't fall in / yell for "Boss" to help get out of it. :guilty::scared::ouch:
Mine's still sitting on these orange level blocks still a little low to get out of (also older picture) more in my profile page:

Link to homemade rigs:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55048

Last edited:
Back