70 cars. 70 laps around the Ring

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 10 comments
  • 1,096 views

Mike Rotch

Aluminium Overcast
Staff Emeritus
Messages
13,827
Australia
Down under
Its exactly what the title says. Over the past <insert lots of time here> I have taken random cars out on The Ring for a blast. Modus Operandi was simple:

  • Select car
  • Tune to pleasing level and fit parts. Standard parts across the board are: racing suspension, racing brakes; racing gearbox; racing flywheel; twin plate clutch; driveshaft (where possible); full LSD (not always needed though); stage 2 weight reduction; R3/ racing medium slicks.
  • Go to Ring, dial in base suspension set up depending on drivetrain layout, lengthen gear ratios depending on power output of car, fit LSD and set to base settings.
  • Go for a quick run down from Start to Hocheichen to shake down car and decide if tweaks are in order.
  • Usually adjust suspension and LSD to give better turn in and ride.
  • Hit the road!

The shakedown doesn’t count towards laps completed in the car. So the laps you see in the one column and ‘flying laps’. Some cars were crisp and clean after the shakedown, enough so in order to allow a tidy lap. Others, required multiple laps due to offs incurred. All laps shown are devoid of shunts, barrier contact, grassy moments and the like. Other high lappers are because the car was so sweet, it deserved more.

A pattern emerged with choosing which cars to take. Once a fast car was unearthed, it became an obsession to compare all its natural rivals to see who was the ‘man’. It is impossible to run all cars, there just isn’t enough time.

Being unashamedly original, I also decided that bald numbers would be boring, so I took the liberty of adding evo style comments to indicate my thoughts on the car. Hence its inclusion in the main forum, not the race times/ spot races one. I am not trying to be a “lol I am da qwikest of u all”. These are my times. I haven’t the foggiest if they are fast or slow. I probably could take a sec or two if I ran the single lap completes again, but I don’t think it is worth it.

I know there are many members who are (like me) too lazy to compete in race series. Hopefully this will give those members something to yard-stick against. Hope it adds benefit to someone!

PS: I aint been around for a wee time, if a SM thinks this is better served elsewhere, fire away ;)
 

Attachments

That's a big bunch of work to do that, well done! GT4 really is never completed, you can always make your own challenges! :)

Off-topic - I like your avatar and user title. 👍
 
Hmm... I'd like to see the inclusion of a Price column and possibly a breakdown of class.

Very nicely done, and the comments are a welcome addition.
 
BMW M3 CSL GTR (6:47.66) - 514Hp It’s a hole in one...On a par one hole
It acts a lot like an half-decent MR car, sounds like a German Skyline (inline-6), seems to have equal parts power and control. Overall, it's the BMW we've been asking for since GT2 included BMWs.

Not a bad idea, though. I don't have the time or the (cough)skills(cough) to keep up with everyone else.
 
I saved the Excel file on my computer. It's very nice indeed. It can help me choose cars for the Laguna Seca, Nurburgring 4h, Motegi, Tsukuba, El Capitan and New York endurance races, although I prefer to use stock cars. Well, I think this list is also quite accurate when the upgrades haven't been put on the car and the settings will be put on default.
 
Great idea. However, it would have been better if the cars were left stock.
 
Price column and possibly a breakdown of class.
A lot of the cars I bought way back and couldnt be arsed to re-price :lazy: The most expensive was far-and-away the XJ220. It was something stupid like 600-700,000Cr. The cheapest was the Nissan Fairlady 2000 at like 6/7,000 Cr.

Off-topic - I like your avatar and user title.
👍
 
Dude...that effort is wicked. :)👍
 
Back