700pp MR2 - Feedback wanted

• Thread starter Toy Ota
  • 8 comments
United States
United States
EDIT
Updated screenshots with adjustments I've made based on suggestions in this thread. Thanks to all who gave me pointers, it's definitely helped!

When I saw that GT7 was coming up, the MR2 was #1 on my wishlist. It's always been a lot of fun to drive and tinker with in every GT title that included this car.

The tune I'm using is cobbled together from settings that worked for other mid/rear cars, what I can remember from previous games, and adjustments that seemed to improve the handling. It's not perfect, and if anybody has tips for how to get more out of a MR2 I'd really appreciate them. Here's the parts list:

• Widebody
  • 17" wheels
  • wide rims, wide offset
  • Full aero, custom wing
  • Hard or Medium racing tires. When using racing softs this car tends to oversteer coming out of corners. What I think is happening is the soft tires just grab too hard and you end up way too low. You can adjust your driving style, but it's hard to get it perfect with the softs. Hard tires seem to work best, but I've had success with mediums too.

Here's the screenshots:
Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 4.40.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 4.40.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 4.40.15 PM.png

This is the 700pp setup, but it's pretty easy to get this car under 600 or up to 730 by swapping turbos, and adjusting ECU & restrictors. I haven't touched the ballast yet, because too much weight in the wrong place on this car can really affect the way it handles.

I've maxed it out around 750, and at that level it's almost competitive in the 800pp races. I think with a little more tweaking it could definitely get there, I'm just out of ideas.

Thanks for checking it out, and thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Last edited:
Since you're oversteering exiting the corner, try lowering the rear roll bar setting. Another thing you can do is to decrease the rear ride height. The car is over rotating at/or past the apex of the corner. So whatever you decrease will need to occur in the rear of the car (spring rate, dampers, camber).

I just tried this:

Didn't get on with it. I'll try yours when I find time and get back to you. Just thought you might find this interesting because people over on Reddit lapped it up but personally I'm not convinced but maybe I just suck?

Last edited:
Since you're oversteering exiting the corner, try lowering the rear roll bar setting. Another thing you can do is to decrease the rear ride height. The car is over rotating at/or past the apex of the corner. So whatever you decrease will need to occur in the rear of the car (spring rate, dampers, camber).
Good lookin out! I'll go mess with these settings now. Because I'm not very good at tuning, my method for solving problems is usually 90% trial and error. Knowing which parts to adjust is a huge help, knowing how to adjust them is icing on the cake. Much appreciated.
I just tried this:

Didn't get on with it. I'll try yours when I find time and get back to you. Just thought you might find this interesting because people over on Reddit lapped it up but personally I'm not convinced but maybe I just suck?

The MR2 is an acquired taste on some level, I know plenty of my buddies never got along with it. I drove a 1993 for a while, it had some performance parts and I turned up the boost. I will say that GT has always done a great job of replicating the snap oversteer for which the 2nd gen MR2 was famous. Nothing you couldn't account for, but it was definitely there, and you had to be very careful in slippery conditions.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out

I bought the Mr2 when it 1st appeared in the UCD and I think increased the HP a little bit, put on a custom wing and threw racing softs on it so I could drive it a little. I have run into that snap oversteer but to what I started doing was braking a little bit early and feathering the gas coming out of turns. I think I will use your setup as a basis to really tune it so that I don't have to use racing softs to get the handling I am looking for.

I hope I'm not the only one who likes the MR2 tuned this way, because it's quickly become my favorite car. Can't wait for the next opportunity to use it in a daily race, if that ever happens again.

Update:
I set the rear roll bar to 5, and the rear ride height to 100 as suggested by @alx42

It seems to help! The car definitely wants you to apply throttle & brake smoothly (I use the triggers for that and shift with x and square) but not significantly moreso than any other car with this much horsepower.

I hope I'm not the only one who likes the MR2 tuned this way, because it's quickly become my favorite car. Can't wait for the next opportunity to use it in a daily race, if that ever happens again.

Update:
I set the rear roll bar to 5, and the rear ride height to 100 as suggested by @alx42

It seems to help! The car definitely wants you to apply throttle & brake smoothly (I use the triggers for that and shift with x and square) but not significantly moreso than any other car with this much horsepower.
I'm glad that worked for you. If you want to tame the rear end more from apex-to-corner exit, try lowering the rear springs. You can do this in big adjustments, like 10-20% increments (e.g. change from 2.65 to 2.38 or lower).

Or you can make a small adjustment and reduce the rear camber. Or reduce the rear roll bar more.

I do have a MR2 as well, yet I can't look at my setup sheet for it at the moment.

I'm glad that worked for you. If you want to tame the rear end more from apex-to-corner exit, try lowering the rear springs. You can do this in big adjustments, like 10-20% increments (e.g. change from 2.65 to 2.38 or lower).

Or you can make a small adjustment and reduce the rear camber. Or reduce the rear roll bar more.

I do have a MR2 as well, yet I can't look at my setup sheet for it at the moment.
Here's a question for the tuners-
The way I make adjustments is:
  • change settings
  • do a time trial at either Laguna Seca, Tokyo Expressway, or Deep Forest
  • compare results
  • adjust settings and repeat

The problem is I'm never sure whether it's the tuning that's reflected in lap times or my driving. My feeling is I'm driving the car more (and hopefully better) so I'm probably making fewer mistakes, but there's also the problem of fatigue setting in which might be pushing lap times in the other direction. I try to change tracks every so often so I'm not getting too used to them but it's hard to get my head around.

Anyways!
Update:
I took these suggestions and made minor adjustments to the rear springs and the back wheel camber. Then I took the MR2 into the 30-minute LeMans race, and got my first ever win (in this car) by a very narrow margin. I had to drive in varying wet/dry conditions, on Racing Mediums and Intermediates, at every level of the fuel map. Super satisfying victory! I've updated the screenshots in the top post to reflect the changes, but here's the leaderboard

Le mans.jpg

Happy Tuning!

Last edited:
Here's a question for the tuners-
The way I make adjustments is:
  • change settings
  • do a time trial at either Laguna Seca, Tokyo Expressway, or Deep Forest
  • compare results
  • adjust settings and repeat

The problem is I'm never sure whether it's the tuning that's reflected in lap times or my driving. My feeling is I'm driving the car more (and hopefully better) so I'm probably making fewer mistakes, but there's also the problem of fatigue setting in which might be pushing lap times in the other direction. I try to change tracks every so often so I'm not getting too used to them but it's hard to get my head around.

Anyways!
Update:
I took these suggestions and made minor adjustments to the rear springs and the back wheel camber. Then I took the MR2 into the 30-minute LeMans race, and got my first ever win (in this car) by a very narrow margin. I had to drive in varying wet/dry conditions, on Racing Mediums and Intermediates, at every level of the fuel map. Super satisfying victory! I've updated the screenshots in the top post to reflect the changes, but here's the leaderboard

View attachment 1137822

Happy Tuning!
Congrats on the win.

You can keep doing the same method, yet I would recommend you stick to one or two tracks at most. Pick a track or two that you're extremely familiar with (so you can lay down consistent lap times) and select the same time of day and weather conditions. This will give you a constant variable to compare all of your testing/tuning. Even amongst other cars in the same performance category.

Back