720p 4:3 for GT5

Messages
1,735
United States
Orlando FL
Messages
MontalvoMC
Messages
MontalvoMC
I have a 720p monitor that I'm using for GT when my wife uses the TV but I have a problem where the scale for the PS3 is at 16:9 but my monitor is 4:3. Is there a way to get the game to scale to 4:3 instead of 16:9?

Also I cannot adjust the screen size with the monitors settings etc.

Edit: iPhone auto correction sucks...
 
Last edited:
In GT5, go into the display settings menu and you can change the screen size. However, you'll end up with black bars along the top and bottom of your screen. 1280x720 is a 16:9 resolution, after all.
 
I have a 720p monitor that I'm using for GT when my wife uses the TV but I have a problem where the scale for the PS3 is at 16:9 but my monitor is 4:3. Is there a way to get the game to scale to 4:3 instead of 16:9?

Also I cannot adjust the screen size with the monitors settings etc.

Edit: iPhone auto correction sucks...

720p means a resolution of 1280x720, which is 16:9.
This would mean that you either have a 4:3 display, or a 720p. Can't be both.
 
You must have 16:9
Anyway, you go in the XMB to settings, scroll down to display
 
My monitor has. 1280x1024 resolution which is over 720p which is why I get it confused. Also I don't mind the Black bars on the screen if it fixes the scale on the monitor. but I have tried that and it shrinks the whole screen.
 
My monitor has. 1280x1024 resolution which is over 720p which is why I get it confused. Also I don't mind the Black bars on the screen if it fixes the scale on the monitor. but I have tried that and it shrinks the whole screen.
XMB: Settings: Display: Choose 4:3.. It's not hard, just don't select "automatic" ever. It's what I have on my current setup.
 
CSLACR
XMB: Settings: Display: Choose 4:3.. It's not hard, just don't select "automatic" ever. It's what I have on my current setup.

It doesn't allow it at 720p or 1080p there is not an option for my monitor. 1280x1024 resolution. Have they added additional setting in the last few updates?
 
Do you have a 4:3 option in your XMB settings (not your GT5 settings)?
 
TenEightyOne
Do you have a 4:3 option in your XMB settings (not your GT5 settings)?

I go in there the option for 4:3 is greyed out.
 
GT5 doesn't have an option for "720p and 4:3", neither does the PS3.

Your monitor is 5:4, you would get a deformed image anyway.

The only way to get an image with the correct aspect ratio is getting an HD capture card for the PC an plug the PS3 there and fix the signal by software. But for that prize (150€) you can also get a 16:9 monitor, so it's really not an option if you don't want to spend your money.
 
Last edited:
Yeah I just wanted to know if it was possible I'm fine with the distorted image I rarely use the monitor. I wish I could get more out of it. Thank you for the help tho.
 
probably good to buy a new LCD monitor they are cheaper than ever before.
 
I'm using an hdmi cable and I have a fat PS3.
 
I'm using an hdmi cable and I have a fat PS3.

Go to display settings and do Custom when you're first selecting what resolution you want to use. It should be there if you're using an HDMI cable.


XMB: Settings: Display: Choose 4:3.. It's not hard, just don't select "automatic" ever. It's what I have on my current setup.
From there, you'd also be able to set Custom-ly what audio cable you're using. Just no automatic.
 
Back