8 attacks in Sri Lanka, 200+ deaths.

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 50 comments
Overnight the BBC has been pumping the justification that the Sri Lanka attacks were due to revenge for the Christchurch attack.
This is what the Sri Lankan defence minister has said, and it has been reported elsewhere too - in other words the BBC's reports are/were accurate.

The AFP - fortunately no conflict of interest there - have also eagerly reported it was revenge for Christchurch, though they and other agencies also reporting the same thing did not provide a name for the minister making the claim. Since then, they have further reported ISIS has taken responsibility, and the attack was months in the planning.

Why are some politicians referring to the victims as Easter Worshippers? Does Sri Lanka not practice/recognize Christianity?
I'm wondering that to. Is it not politicaly correct to call the victims christians in 2019?

So it's okay to give money to somebody for something but they then choose to give it to somebody else without asking you? No, it isn't. If people want to give money to any appeal in respect of this attack then they will.
Of course it is, within reason! It sets a good example.

When you give money to homeless people (if you do), do you only give it on the condition they don't share it or spend it on alcohol/drugs?

The point is to help those in need.
Not only would I not want money I gave to a cause to be given to another cause, even if I was inclined to donate to that as well. And frankly I wouldn't want to be given money that was supposed to go to something or someone else; it may or may not be considered so in the eyes of the law (though I suspect the former is more likely the case), but I'd sure feel as though it was stolen.

So no, I'd say it's not a nice gesture.
Of course it would be a nice gesture.

You have one of the biggest terrorist attacks outside of the ME since 9/11 that predominately targeted Christians, their places of worship and tourists. As a gesture of Christian goodwill I'm sure that following the teachings of the NT in donating some of what has been given to a notable Christian structure for the aid of others would be well received.

How about those African victims of the religion of peace who get blown to bits every week or so? Do they get some?
Would be nice in an ideal world

Perhaps you should make a small gesture of goodwill?
I will be to the Barnabas fund

Maybe I believe in a laissez-faire attitude to donations. For example if part of my donation went to the victims of the Christchurch attack I can't see a problem with that.

-------

Just an update on the extent - from The Times:

"Twelve bomb detonators were found at Colombo’s main bus station and a further 75 at a rubbish dump in the same area hours later."

I think this bombing is the standout attack of the new wave of Islamic terrorism - that of returning ISIS fighters lending their expertise to murder plots.

Last edited:
Of course it would be a nice gesture.
Nope. Maybe this will help it sink in for you:

If you give money to support STEM education, would you want those responsible for ensuring that money does what you expect it to do to go and spend it on support for pro-choice initiatives?

Nope. Maybe this will help it sink in for you:

If you give money to support STEM education, would you want those responsible for ensuring that money does what you expect it to do to go and spend it on support for pro-choice initiatives?
That's apples with oranges compared to my example - hence why I qualified it with "within reason"

Cathedral destroyed by fire -> small money given from a massive fund to Churches destroyed by explosives and Christians caught in it.

--------

Did political rivalry stop the message going through?

Muslims in Sri Lanka repeatedly handed in information about the group for years:

Hilmy Ahamed, vice president of the Muslim Council of Sri Lanka, said he warned military intelligence officials about the group and its leaders about three years ago. On Monday afternoon, Sri Lanka’s government said National Thowheed Jamath was responsible for six suicide bombings at Christian churches and luxury hotels.

“Targeting the non-Muslim community is something they encourage -- they say you have to kill them in the name of religion,” Ahamed said in a phone interview from Colombo on Monday. “I personally have gone and handed over all the documents three years ago, giving names and details of all these people. They have sat on it. That’s the tragedy.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ampaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter

That's apples with oranges compared to my example - hence why I qualified it with "within reason"
"Within reason"? The only reasonable thing to do with money accepted for a cause is to put it toward that cause and only that cause.

Cathedral destroyed by fire -> small money given from a massive fund to Churches destroyed by explosives and Christians caught in it.
If anyone who gave money to rebuild the cathedral wants those churches to have money as well, they can give further to support that second cause.

It seems to me that you only have difficulty accepting the above assertions because you presumably offer support for both causes, but when presented with a scenario involving one or more that you don't support, you dodge it.

Of course it is, within reason! It sets a good example.

When you give money to homeless people (if you do), do you only give it on the condition they don't share it or spend it on alcohol/drugs?

You're comparing apples and oranges.

If I give money to a person on the understanding that it becomes theirs to do what they want with then guess what? They can do what they want with it.

If I give money to a broker/agent/representative of a cause to undertake a specific task (e.g. repair a damaged cathedral or build wells in Africa) and they then use the money for something else then they've misrepresented their intention and committed a fraud. It isn't their money, they're collecting for a cause and channeling the money to it.

How will this ever end? I fear the internet has triggered a brand new era of hive-mind psychopathy and sadism and I can't even fathom how it might be mitigated.

Anyone have any ideas?

How will this ever end? I fear the internet has triggered a brand new era of hive-mind psychopathy and sadism and I can't even fathom how it might be mitigated.

Anyone have any ideas?
Globally, the desire to much more heavily regulate social media has gained strength. and it will grow. Sri Lanka continues a social media blackout. Before it was shut down, false reports had come out about the identity of the attackers and number of casualties.
https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/s...ethink-on-silicon-valley-20190423-p51gb6.html

https://news.yahoo.com/sri-lanka-falls-silent-victims-islamist-attack-064346792.html

Last edited:
You're comparing apples and oranges.

If I give money to a person on the understanding that it becomes theirs to do what they want with then guess what? They can do what they want with it.

If I give money to a broker/agent/representative of a cause to undertake a specific task (e.g. repair a damaged cathedral or build wells in Africa) and they then use the money for something else then they've misrepresented their intention and committed a fraud. It isn't their money, they're collecting for a cause and channeling the money to it.
So if that fund for building wells in Africa suddenly gets close to a billion pounds in donations and decides to give a little to building hospitals in Africa, you'd feel aggrieved and think fraud was committed with your money?

Remember also we were talking about two huge events that happened close together:

A fire at one of the most iconic Christian places of worship that is also a major tourist attraction

and

One of the biggest terrorist attacks killing many Christians among others and that also ruined Christian places of worship and buildings popular with tourists.

I despair at the state of the world sometimes :(

Anyone have any ideas?

Religiously inspired violence? It won't. There's Hindu nationalism in India, Muslim persecution by Buddhists in Burma, Christian extremism in Africa. Islamist attacks are over-represented because of the inherent nature of some of the text and actions of the founder but even if an "enlightenment" period occurred it would just bring it on par with the others.

Last edited:
So if that fund for building wells in Africa suddenly gets close to a billion pounds in donations and decides to give a little to building hospitals in Africa, you'd feel aggrieved and think fraud was committed with your money?
Using contributions for anything other than the cause for which it was taken is wildly inappropriate. In the event of such a windfall, the appropriate action to take would be saying, "Hey, we've got more money than we need and a check for the sum that you donated is in the mail so that you can use the funds as you see fit."

Remember also we were talking about two huge events that happened close together:

A fire at one of the most iconic Christian places of worship that is also a major tourist attraction

and

One of the biggest terrorist attacks killing many Christians among others and that also ruined Christian places of worship and buildings popular with tourists.
So what? I don't particularly care that it was specifically Christians that were killed in specifically "Christian places of worship" (whatever that means; surely you can worship anywhere).

One event is not the other, as you yourself indicate. Simples.

If I felt that support for rebuilding the cathedral was lacking (it obviously isn't), I might be compelled to contribute and it wouldn't be at all because I care one bit about specifically Christians or their specific delusions...because I really, really, really don't. I'd be compelled to contribute because the location is iconic and transcends religion.

Obviously. Clearly you think it's okay for a broker to work outside the remit with your money, it happens that I don't. I'd expect the broker to at least poll the contributors for their opinion.

A fire at one of the most iconic Christian places of worship that is also a major tourist attraction and One of the biggest terrorist attacks killing many Christians among others and that also ruined Christian places of worship and buildings popular with tourists.

With that kind of logic I'm glad you don't look after money for me. It seems you're saying the fraud would be okay if it was "spent on something similar". How about people having the choice about what to spend their money on?

Obviously. Clearly you think it's okay for a broker to work outside the remit with your money, it happens that I don't. I'd expect the broker to at least poll the contributors for their opinion.
Then we have different views on how we expect money given to charity should be allocated. Fair enough.

Back