80gig Phat PS3 Power On/Off Failing....

• Thread starter Legendary
  • 1 comments
Australia
South Australia
GTP_Legendary724
Legendary724
Hey guys,

I have a 2nd Generation 80gig PS3 (the one without the memory card slots etc) and I think it may be dieing. I have had it since the middle of 2008 and it has been running like a champ since. I have most definitely clocked a few thousand hours on it (even more perhaps) and now it is starting to crack.

Lately it has been failing with internet and such but that is not a worry. It just seems to sign out of PSN more and more often but that is not my problem. My problem is when I turn it on or off.

Now I have done this several ways. While turning off either with controller or by pressing the button (not holding it till it resets) it will beep 3 times. It has started in the last week or two and is getting more and more frequent. While turning it on however, it is doing the same thing. When you hold the button on to turn it on it will reset the HDMI settings to default display settings (as it is supposed to) but my PS3 is doing it whether I hold the button in or not. So if I tap the sensor to turn it on it will still assume I have held it in and goes to the reset display settings screen. This is also becoming more frequent, and annoying I might add.

Anyone else had this problem/ does anyone know what I can do about it? Would my ps3 be slowly dieing?

Have you tried the recovery console menu? Choosing number 3 (Restore File System) or 4 (Rebuild Database) might help. Just be careful as I think number 4 deletes your PSN messages.

It might also be a fault with the touch sensor power button, even if your using the controller to turn it on something might be short circuiting that button causing it to think its constantly pressed. Cleaning the button or maybe opening the PS3 up to check if the ribbon cable is seated properly might be an idea.

Its certianly an unusal fault.

Robin.

Back