80's/90's cars more fun

  • Thread starter Thread starter ziadjs
  • 10 comments
  • 2,821 views
Messages
33
Messages
zeeezman
is it because I lack the required skill or is driving older less powerful cars like an 80's Toyota Supra or an early 90's M3 more enjoyable than driving an LMP, an F1 car or even new road cars like the 458 Italia?
 
You're comparing an old sports car to a modern supercar and race car. But I think I get your point.

I think the older cars (60s-80s) can be fun because they seem to be "less tame" so you have to work harder to get good lap times. On the other hand, more modern sports cars are also fun for their own reasons, I couldn't really say I have a preference, it just depends on my mood.
If there was an early 90s M3, hands down I'd go for that almost every time I start up the game. Unfortunately there is not.
 
Most new,more powerful stuff (Z06,viper,lp640,E90 M3,etc) is imo more fun than an 80's supra,90's M3,etc.Just need to get used to and respect it when you drive it.
 
You're comparing an old sports car to a modern supercar and race car. But I think I get your point.

I think the older cars (60s-80s) can be fun because they seem to be "less tame" so you have to work harder to get good lap times. On the other hand, more modern sports cars are also fun for their own reasons, I couldn't really say I have a preference, it just depends on my mood.
If there was an early 90s M3, hands down I'd go for that almost every time I start up the game. Unfortunately there is not.

#2
Also you should do your decision here using a wheel / pedals and decent FF.
from my point of view the controller is not able to deliver the slightest feeling for these cars.
 
I feel the same. My gripe is that the newer cars are so heavy compared to their older counterparts.
 
I feel the same. My gripe is that the newer cars are so heavy compared to their older counterparts.

/signed.

Best example for me is the E46 M3 vs. E90 M3...
 
"is driving older less powerful cars like an 80's Toyota Supra or an early 90's M3 more enjoyable than driving an LMP, an F1 car or even new road cars like the 458 Italia"

I 100% agree on the tighter twistier tracks. In fact the 80's Toyota I bought for the current 80's Japanese challenge has become one of my all time favourite drives.

It is also worth going even further back in time. The 1965 Alfa GTA the, 65 Alfa T62 and the Alpine 73 are all truly joyful to drive at places like the Eiger.

When I get somewhere fast though, like Monza, then it is time to break out the newer hardware as far as I am concerned.

I am only using DS3, am at best an adequate driver, and my tuning skills are poor so I am not getting the most out of the newer ones.

One newish one I can recommend though is the Ferrari 430 Scuderia... a joy straight out of the box. Best handling of all the powerful newish cars for me so far.
 
I entirely agree, the modern road cars seem to nearly always be biassed towards understeer. The race cars are satisfying to drive fast, but only to the point of being merely satisfying. Where as the older cars, especially one of my very favourite to drive, the Shelby Cobra; have the satisfaction of driving it well and quickly. And then when you get to the front, continue to provide entertainment as you get the tail further and further out.
 
I agree about the Supra it's just so enjoyable to drive and try to keep under control.

PD where is the E30 M3 ? this one should be on top of the DLC list.
 
I entirely agree, the modern road cars seem to nearly always be biassed towards understeer. The race cars are satisfying to drive fast, but only to the point of being merely satisfying. Where as the older cars, especially one of my very favourite to drive, the Shelby Cobra; have the satisfaction of driving it well and quickly. And then when you get to the front, continue to provide entertainment as you get the tail further and further out.
Good post, I see it the same.

Off topic but,
My friends and I race early '70s Japanese sports cars like the '73 Skyline, '70 GTO, '71 240Z, '70 Celica and '74 Lancer GSR for example..
 
Back