900 Degree Hand steering

  • Thread starter Thread starter jeffreypang911
  • 29 comments
  • 4,041 views
Messages
138
Hello,

Long time no post here, not since the start of GT4.

I have used the search (here and google!), maybe I am not doing it correctly, but does anyone have any information on the hand movements for the final GT5? Id love to drift with a G25 and have the screen simulate what I am doing. I find these details even more important compared to something like car damage, because it provides a more connected feel when in cockpit mode.

Anyone else really bothered by this?

Jeff
 
I'm at least bothered that on screen wheel stops turning while I have a lot of extra degrees to turn. The wheels actually turn but not the animation of the steering wheel.
 
I was suprised to not see it atleast in the ttdemo and also agree it will complete the cockpit view experience. It however was in an early version of prologue looking a bit rough around the edges and then later taken out so we know they're working on it.

Merry Christmas all.:)
 
Last edited:
Actually, there is 900 degree steering in GT5. An old E3 07(possibly 08), video showed a sony executive playing a GT5P demo (the one with the SuperGT Fairlady Z), and he crashed while driving the Ferrari F430 and the drivers hands crossed over each other as he tried to straighten the wheel out. Here's the link below. The part your interested in is near the end. Click on the first video with the F430 cockpit view

http://www.spike.com/video/gran-turismo-5/2889756#
 
Last edited:
Actually, there is 900 degree steering in GT5. An old E3 07(possibly 08), video showed a sony executive playing a GT5P demo (the one with the SuperGT Fairlady Z), and he crashed while driving the Ferrari F430 and the drivers hands crossed over each other as he tried to straighten the wheel out. Here's the link below. The part your interested in is near the end. Click on the first video with the F430 cockpit view

http://www.spike.com/video/gran-turismo-5/2889756#

Wow, that looked awesome... I've seen the Audi TT one where he goes off at the Spoon Curve but this F430 vid really showcases it a lot more. I love how the driver grabs the wheel at its natural bottom to turn it to the right out of the sandtrap, and his hands are still out of position just after returning to the track. It looks very realistic and its a shame they dropped it for Prologue.
 
PD removed 1:1 steering animation from game because it looked unnatural with pad. I would like 900 degrees steering animation much more than some half ass damage.
 
wow the video looks spectacular. I sure hope PD puts it in or allows it to be enabled.
 
Yes, I remember that video... But don't you think that hands should be in 9:15 position? I'm a racing driver... and I just can't put my hands in 10:10 position, 'cause it's so "unnatural". For the strange movements of the hands when the F430 spins out, well... I also think that paddle shifting in the last demos was just HORRIBLE! It's a matter of time to get it right, and PD maybe just had to polish it...

Man, I'll like to have 5 minutes with Kaz and tell him REAL questions about GT5!
 
I'm suprised no one in the press has pin pointed this detail with Kaz...
Sure in the past hands would cross. But if you look closely, the steering wheel has never rotated more then 450, even in GT4.

GT has always been about the little details. All the current top sims have realistic steering rotation. LFS, iRacing, etc.

In GT, I'm forced to use a different view because the limited steering animation makes the car look like its lagging, unreasponsive. I don't stare at the steering wheel, but its part of my overall perception.
If they can't animate the hands, at lease allow the option for the steering wheel without hands. Or the game should know if you're using a pad or steering wheel device, & adjust accordingly.

This issue needs to be brought up, and a solution needs to be found before final release! Or else its just no different from a NFS cockpit.

PS. I find it amazing they've spent time to animate people walking around, including a dog wagging its tail (seen in the latest trailer), and not bothered to correct more important matters. IMO of course.
 
Like head tracking ,why not have tracking of limbs & hands.That way you don't need to configure buttons, for operating car controls.So you could operate lights, turn signals, wipers & car horns etc.
 
Smoke&Slide

Thats a fantastic idea!
Tracking limbs, fingers, dept of field, etc. It would take too much processing power. They'd have to decrease something elsewhere for a feature that hardly anyone would use.
 
PD removed 1:1 steering animation from game because it looked unnatural with pad. I would like 900 degrees steering animation much more than some half ass damage.

That's such a terrible reason to take it out (not saying you're lying, just saying its a horrible reason). Just make it so when using a pad, the steering animation is limited to, say, 120 degrees, or just before the driver takes his hand off the wheel the first time. It'd be so incredibly easy to implement that it'd be a stupid choice to remove 1:1 steering because of it.
 
That's such a terrible reason to take it out (not saying you're lying, just saying its a horrible reason). Just make it so when using a pad, the steering animation is limited to, say, 120 degrees, or just before the driver takes his hand off the wheel the first time. It'd be so incredibly easy to implement that it'd be a stupid choice to remove 1:1 steering because of it.

I agree. Some say that LFS hand animation is not perfect but very clearly it looks much better than limited angles in GT5 demo and you get better feel what the car is doing.
 
I understand how it may look a bit strange with the pad but I always thought GT couldn't tell if you were using a pad or wheel. It appears from the latest demo this isn't the case so I hope it's included as an option or at worst only available to wheel users.
 
it was in gt5p demo ..

who knows maybe it will come back in full gt5
 
NBH
I understand how it may look a bit strange with the pad but I always thought GT couldn't tell if you were using a pad or wheel. It appears from the latest demo this isn't the case so I hope it's included as an option or at worst only available to wheel users.

It'd have to know. When using a pad you need speed sensitive steering to keep the cars controllable at speed and with a 900 degree wheel speed sensitive steering is horrible.

If the game couldn't tell whether you are using a pad or a wheel, either the pad or the wheel would feel like crap, or both would feel like crap.
 
If the game couldn't tell whether you are using a pad or a wheel, either the pad or the wheel would feel like crap, or both would feel like crap.

Game of course know which controller you are using.
 
It was fine in GT4, even with a controller, so there's really no reason to take it out for GT5.
 
Keep this thread alive! Maybe PD will look into it. I'm 50/50 someone at PD looks on to this site for ideas. I'm having the same issue since GT5p! So I hope they fix it.
 
I'm almost 100% certain that someone from PD or Sony visits / has visited this site.
 
I bet too, its the biggest GT site there is.

Hopefully they are working on it, and just have not perfected it enough to put it in the demo. It is quite detracting to be frank.
 
Like head tracking ,why not have tracking of limbs & hands.That way you don't need to configure buttons, for operating car controls.So you could operate lights, turn signals, wipers & car horns etc.
That's what I was thinking. It's the only way to go!
 
I know this is a bump, but I still have yet to see PD include this in any of their videos. Especially cars with odd shaped steering wheels, I definitely think they pulled out on this one...

Does anyone have any news on this?
 
I know this is a bump, but I still have yet to see PD include this in any of their videos. Especially cars with odd shaped steering wheels, I definitely think they pulled out on this one...

Does anyone have any news on this?

A Sony Associate Producer working on GT5 appears to confirm it's inclusion in the final game in this interview. Go to about 1 hour 10 mins into the video.
 
I find the hand and wheel animations very off putting now. I hope they fix it. I don't use the cockpit view becuase of this and I find the feild of view limited. Strange how they removed the propper animations completely from GT5p and TT demo.
 


To anyone who has still has any doubt, please........just look at the 1:18 mark of this vid. Maybe this will lay it to rest already.:rolleyes:
 
How will it lay it to rest when that's an old trailer for Prologue? The fact is it was ready for Prologue and then they took it out and we haven't seen it since. Who knows, maybe it definitely will be in the game but right now we don't know and nothing really hints that it will be.
 
My thoughts is that they took it out due to cars with steering wheels similar to the F1 car where you can not cross your hands on the "wheel".
 
Back