900 Degrees? Plus a couple other questions...

  • Thread starter Thread starter mangadrive
  • 1 comments
  • 518 views
Messages
16
Well i remember playing the first gt with the digital pad and being in awe with the difference in control when they came out with the analog stick. This in mind just made me purchase my first steering wheel ever. I researched awhile and ended up with a Driving Force off Ebay for 23 bucks. I figured start basic.. I didnt go out and buy a PRS custom when i started playing guitar so.. I might not even like using them ... Im gunna play GT3 some with it (even though the physics are much different) just to get a feel of using one and start fresh with GT4 later... possibly buy the GT4 + DFP package.. I just got GT3 for christmas and I realise im really behind but life is what happens when you are planning all that other stuff.. So 3 is still a new game to me...

I still have a couple questions though that were unanswered in much much searching (even the 'search' here).

1. Does the old DF work in GT4 well? The topic for disccussion seemed to be limited in answers for this.

2. I read of some 'bug' in GT3 that only allows 75% breaking. To me this wouldnt be a gamebreaker because you never really wanna use 100% brakes anway and can always adjust the car to compensate. Is this present in GT4?

3. (this really irks me btw).. I learned in like 3rd grade that 360 degrees is a full rotation (im also a snowboarder) and realise 900 is 2.5 rotations.. How does a video game steering wheel actually translate that. Does the wheel really rotate 2.5 times? Im sure that sounds like the stupidest question in the world, but Im just trying to compare it to the real life steering wheel in my Eclipse. In all practical driving I can't see a need for that unless you were planning on doing some serious drift racing without using the handbrake. Even F1 cars dont use that broad of a range.. I could see maybe where the rally sections would benifit from it, but at the same time be kinda counterproductive to the user. I noticed the wheel I ordered is kinda more like 200 or so, which seems very practical for the courses in the game. Even on a lot of those coin-op racers , they dont go too far outside of totally unessicary. Just curious as to if thats a *huge* difference in translation. I dont think the results would be pretty in a chicane if i had to actually hand-over-hand turn.

4. Also im kinda scared by the fact of the 'gear shifter'.. Even though im a die hard fan of manual and I seriously have problems driving a real automatic vehicle, I just think that would be such a workout on a road courses.. I race my car in a 1/4 mile or an 1/8th on straights... Thats just running the pattern.. Id prolly die if i had to shift for a 2 hour race... Does the DFP have shoulder buttons like the DF? Meaning is the stick somewhat optional... Im sure i would really dig it in the long run, but having options is nice..

Well my wheel should be here in a couple days so I can answer all my other questions by myself. Thank you for reading! 👍

bee
 
All of these issues have been discussed in considerable detail in the DriveForcePro Wheel thread...

But to briefly answer your questions:

1. Yes, the DF wheel works, but is very sensitive to the point of twitchyness, especially at high speeds, and has considerably weaker force feedback.

2. The 75% brake bug has a documented fix

3. 90% of the steering required can be accomplished with small wheel inputs, even in 900º mode. It's only for a few very tight, very slow hairpins that one would need to turn the wheel significantly.

4. The shift stick or wheel paddles can be used for shifting interchangably.
 
Back