911 GT3 RS - DRS slightly pointless?

• Thread starter NJ72
  • 21 comments
United Kingdom
Cotswolds, UK
doc-shipman
Hey Guys,

So the way that PD have implemented the DRS on the new 911 GT3 RS seems a little pointless to me.

Not because it doesn't work, but because it will only enable in certain conditions.

For example, on the Daytona time trial you can just keep the button for DRS held at all times, because it will not allow DRS unless you're wide open throttle and have a very narrow angle of steering.

As such it removes any skill from using the DRS at all...

Is it just me that thinks it should either be an automatically deployed system, or allow us to use it whenever we want and take the potential downforce hit mid corner etc.?

If this is how the real 911 GT3 RS works, then apologies, I'm too poor to have driven one 😂

It is. The point of DRS is to reduce drag from the rear wing when you don't need it (like trying to accelerate in a straight line) but generating downforce when you do (like going round corners).
No, I fully understand why DRS works and how it works, but my point is that with the implementation in GT7 the ability to control it yourself is rendered pointless - I just spend the whole time driving it holding R1 (other DRS buttons are available). In GT7 is automatically disables DRS when turning, braking etc. so the skill in the timing when to engage or disengage is irrelevant.

If that's the way the game chooses to implement it, then why not just have it function completely automatically?

No, I fully understand why DRS works and how it works, but my point is that with the implementation in GT7 the ability to control it yourself is rendered pointless - I just spend the whole time driving it holding R1 (other DRS buttons are available). In GT7 is automatically disables DRS when turning, braking etc. so the skill in the timing when to engage or disengage is irrelevant.

If that's the way the game chooses to implement it, then why not just have it function completely automatically?
That's... how it works in real life.

It's a manual feature that you cannot operate - for safety - below a certain speed and throttle position or above a certain steering angle, but you also aren't required to once operation conditions are met.

Last edited:
It's just a bit funny since the 911 has a ton of grip, and could easily bear turning harder while using DRS.

In the time trial, it's basically impossible to take the last banking with DRS consistently on, as the game keeps toggling it as you hit the steering lock limit for DRS :lol:

But if that's how the actual car is calibrated, that's just how it is.

Last edited:
IMO the operation is the annoying part. The DRS button is the same as the nitro/KERS button in this game so you have to hold it down to keep it activated. In Assetto Corsa you can bind separate buttons for DRS vs nitro/KERS. DRS you press once, it stays open until you close it manually or brake or turn the wheel past a certain angle. Nitro/KERS functions as in GT.

But in general, the "speed boost" button implementation in GT is too simplified, probably because PD doesn't want to overcomplicate things for the casual racer. For example the LMP1 cars should also have a user activated boost that can deploy hybrid once it cuts off above 250 km/h.

Back in GT Sport the DRS for the Mercedes F1 was also not as strong as it should be, and actually sheds more drag with minimum downforce settings than maximum (opposite in real life). This car isn't in GT7 so I'm not able to test if the aero physics is now any better.

Hey Guys,

So the way that PD have implemented the DRS on the new 911 GT3 RS seems a little pointless to me.

Not because it doesn't work, but because it will only enable in certain conditions.

For example, on the Daytona time trial you can just keep the button for DRS held at all times, because it will not allow DRS unless you're wide open throttle and have a very narrow angle of steering.

As such it removes any skill from using the DRS at all...

Is it just me that thinks it should either be an automatically deployed system, or allow us to use it whenever we want and take the potential downforce hit mid corner etc.?

If this is how the real 911 GT3 RS works, then apologies, I'm too poor to have driven one 😂
Its adjustable on the real car, but can also be manually operated. PD chose to model how it's operated manually. Regardless the real car still has the steering and speed requirements for the DRS to activate even in automatic DRS mode.

It is just like on the real car, you can't turn the wheel over a certain degree without deactivating the DRS, meaning it doesn't work in cornering.

Last edited:
That's... how it works in real life.

It's a manual feature that you cannot operate - for safety - below a certain speed and throttle position or above a certain steering angle, but you also aren't required to once operation conditions are met.
Then I stand corrected on it, thanks. It's still irksome in its operation in GT7.

Well I just found out that if you install nitro the DRS button is disabled. Even if the nitro runs out you still can't activate DRS. All the more reason to separate the 2 buttons.

Also I tested a fully tuned 992 at SSRX. The difference in top speed with DRS on/off is only 10 km/h. You can probably skip DRS entirely in the twisty Daytona infield and not lose too much time. Only use it on the banking where it makes a difference.

DRS aka low down force level is the default configuration of the car in real life.

Then you have the high down force mode, or track mode, and here the default is that DRS gets enabled automatically over 100km/h and 95% throttle + some other factors (lateral acceleration at least I'm pretty sure, maybe more).

Then the final option is to use a manual DRS button. I'm assuming in this scenario there is still a computer controlled override which will disable DRS/enable the high down force mode when certain conditions are met. At the very least they use active aero under braking at high speeds, so there's no way DRS/low down force mode would be enabled under braking.

I guess PD have to some extent implemented the latter version of the system, but it is by far the most inconvenient, and definitely slightly pointless, if not entirely pointless. This Porsche DRS is just an active aero system, not a limited DRS resource that can only be used at certain parts of a track or a certain number of times as a tool in a professional motorsport race. So you just drive around with the button pushed down the whole time, which is just annoying.

From what I've seen there's up to about 300kg of down force generated even with DRS on, up to 860kg with it off. Apparently the DRS down force is still higher than the standard GT3, which has a higher top speed by at least 10kmh all else equal, I would therefore assume driving around with DRS off and almost triple the down force should drop the top speed by more than 10kmh.

So I have my doubts Gt7 is truly giving us the real driving simulator when it comes to drs systems and active aero. Fair enough though, it's probably not worth the effort, but it would at least be a nice quality of life feature if they could give us a setting for the DRS button to be a toggle on or off, or set it turn DRS off when pushed, or DRS on when pushed, so that all scenarios are covered. Shouldn't be much work, but would be slightly harder than just copy pasting their code from the nitrous system i guess.

Last edited:
This is my new favorite non racing car.

Valk-wut…lfa who

Reminds me of all the fun the old 911’s were with the benefit of not actively trying to kill you.

The widowmakers were awesome, but they earned that name.

I don't think it's pointless.....I can tell you from my own experience that nitrous on the 992 is pointless because it disables the DRS feature if you enable nitrous on the car. And doing back to back comparisons I went quicker with DRS assistance versus blasting the laughing gas.

I don't think it's pointless.....I can tell you from my own experience that nitrous on the 992 is pointless because it disables the DRS feature if you enable nitrous on the car. And doing back to back comparisons I went quicker with DRS assistance versus blasting the laughing gas.
It's not that the DRS is pointless, it's that the implementation is pointless. It makes no sense that you just drive the whole time holding the DRS button as it will only enable on the straights at full throttle.

It should be an on/off toggle, rather than hold to use.

It's not that the DRS is pointless, it's that the implementation is pointless. It makes no sense that you just drive the whole time holding the DRS button as it will only enable on the straights at full throttle.

It should be an on/off toggle, rather than hold to use.

I mean it's just emulating what the real world car does....

"First off, don't worry about the aero. When you put the car into Track mode, it'll take care of itself. There is a DRS button on the steering wheel if you decide you don't need as much downforce in a fast corner and want to maximize your speed on a straight, but the car opens the rear wing and adjusts the front elements very quickly once it deems it appropriate. (You can see Jorg Bergmeister hit the button on exit at the last corner before the long straight on his Nürburgring Nordschleife run.) The car's aero constantly adjusts itself, and if DRS is activated, it'll close as soon as you touch the brakes or add significant steering inputs."

At the end of the day if you don't like using it just pretend it isn't there.....or buy nitrous for the car and enable it and you can just use that instead and the DRS will be disabled 👍

Latest Posts

Back