'93 RX-7 Type RZ (And other tuning woes)

• Thread starter tomkat492
  • 10 comments
United States
California
tomkat492
Hi guys. Now I'm well aware that GT6 is still very fresh, so I don't expect anyone to have all of the answers, but maybe someone might have a few suggestions that could possibly nudge me in the right direction.

I currently have a few cars that are giving me massive amounts of hell when it comes to this whole tuning thing, but the biggest offender on this list is the RX-7 mentioned in the title.

IIRC it's a 433 PP car stock, so the bump to 450 shouldn't have done too much damage. Plus, it still behaves just as rudely as in stock trim.

Cornering goes something like this: Great turn in, good mid-corn--spin. Whether it's on throttle, off throttle, partial throttle, straight line braking then turn in, trail braking... the car does the same thing. Initially I tuned it to err... calm down, and the car just plowed... then tried to spin into oblivion.

This current setup has made it comfortable (by comparison), but it still feels a bit unstable. So maybe you lovely folks here at GTP can help.

---

Sport Hards

RH: 105/105
Springs: 5.18/5.18
Compression: 3/2
Extension: 3/2
ARBs: 3/3
Camber: 1.6/1.0
Toe: 0.0/0.2
Brakes (Stock): 5/5

LSD: 10/25/10
Twin-Plate Clutch
Carbon Driveshaft

Power Limiter 99.8
Semi-Racing Exhaust
Sports Catalytic Converter

Carbon Hood
Window Weight Reduction

Try this - it's difficult to be accurate when not knowing your driving style and steering settings, but this is middle of the road, so can be made easily more loose or planted.

Your setup didn't have enough balance between front and rear, so too much pressure was going to the back and causing it to roll to much and finally let go.

This setup is a bit more free at the front, so you don't have to force the car in, but has slightly better stability at the rear too. As always, be smooth into a corner and carry the speed through.

If you have understeer/oversteer issues, let me know and they should be easy to fix..

Suspension:

105 / 105
8.62 / 8.95
1 / 4
1 / 4
4 / 2
1.0 / 1.0
-0.10 / +0.10

Brakes:

5 / 5

LSD:

while the advice up there is good, there are cars in this game that are bunked at the moment. this may be one of them.

try the spirit r rx7 -- it's night and day; super planted, never does anything you don't expect. in fact maybe too much so, I am knocking off laps on nurburgring faster than I was in GT5 in this car.

yes the early gen fds were a little more loose than the later ones but it was a small difference not a huge one like is evident right now.

while the advice up there is good, there are cars in this game that are bunked at the moment. this may be one of them.

try the spirit r rx7 -- it's night and day; super planted, never does anything you don't expect. in fact maybe too much so, I am knocking off laps on nurburgring faster than I was in GT5 in this car.

yes the early gen fds were a little more loose than the later ones but it was a small difference not a huge one like is evident right now.

Not the FR cars, if an FR car is doing what the OP said, it's not the car but setup/driver.. I've had FR cars feel like they have same issue, but these have been easily re-tuned through tried and tested practices, the MR ones are different - 100% there are some problem cars MR cars, but not FR.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Granted, less so than MR cars but, I have observed similar issues with some FRs as well.

Have you driven both of the above setups?

Could provide examples of the cars your having trouble with?

I forgot to mention that I play on DS3. Using the triggers for throttle/brake.

I threw on Highlandor's setup and wholly cow... night and day difference. Every other set up I tried before that produced understeer. And the one I posted above, I was trying to go with the school of thought where you focus on the end of the car that's giving you problems. Obviously that didn't work out so much.

The car feels great, but I think it could use a bump in the oversteer department. I'm not entirely sure, but I will know if I make the adjustments and it starts trying to kill me again.

I also failed to mention: I haven't been having problems with the new physics. In fact I actually prefer them. I'm just having trouble tuning. A lot GT5 stuff doesn't seem to work. A lot of Forza stuff doesn't seem to work. And a lot of real life stuff doesn't seem to work.

I have an '83 Civic with a set up that should oversteer to hell and back, but it just does not. Like at all. Same with my '93 and '98 Civics. My Integras are lovely. For some odd reason, the longer wheelbase FF cars are oversteering more? Unless I was taught incorrectly, I think that's backwards...

I forgot to mention that I play on DS3. Using the triggers for throttle/brake.

I threw on Highlandor's setup and wholly cow... night and day difference. Every other set up I tried before that produced understeer. And the one I posted above, I was trying to go with the school of thought where you focus on the end of the car that's giving you problems. Obviously that didn't work out so much.

The car feels great, but I think it could use a bump in the oversteer department. I'm not entirely sure, but I will know if I make the adjustments and it starts trying to kill me again.

No worries - if you like how it feels, maybe check out some cars from my tuning shop - HaB-Racing..

It should be pretty easy to make it more loose at the rear, just where do you want this:

Under braking and turn in
Lifting off brakes at apex
Accelerating out of corner

Front wheel drive cars are very easy to tune, what are the exact models and I can give you some figures for them 👍

I want to hit a few laps with the RX-7 in an actual online race to see if I can confirm if I have any actual issues are with the car and confirm where they are. I'm more likely to find faults in a car while racing than hot lapping, so I'll let you know then.

In the mean time, I'm going to try some other setups on the Civics. I might be making them too soft in the front and that's what's causing them to plow in the corners.

Back