98% completion then my ps3 crashed. Anyone got something worse than this?

• Thread starter McSmith
  • 10 comments
McSmith
My playstion got the yellow light of death when I was at 98 percent. Almost level 40 both A and B-spec. I backed up all my data every time I quit the game but because I now have an other ps3 the backup files won't work.
Started again this week, golded my licenses again and did a couple of challenges.
Anyone else got this kind of problems, did you start all over or just gave up? Give me your stories to ease the pain:P

Hi, My PS3 crashed for a couple of days (I'm only at 75% though) after running enduros. It worked on Blue ray discs, DvD's etc. but GT5 would NOT work. I polished the disc and cleaned the lens several times, I thought the disc might be warped from all the heat. The disc is a little warped (put it on a flat surface and press near the centre, if it moves up and down, the disc is warped and the laser might not be able to focus properly). Then I put some "sticky bumpers" (the kind you use on picture frames) underneath the PS3 to add a bit more ventilation and it's been fine ever since. Hope this might help.

2 years ago I was at my mates house trying to complete LittleBigPlanet and get Platinum.I did it!

Then 10 minutes later his puppy had a no.1 on my ps3 and broke it! He broke the disc reader and now I don't have that trophy! :(
(If this is what you meant be "worse than this" only on GT5 then whoops!)

Sorry to hear about that, I'm not sure how much I'd even bother to play it again after that if I couldn't get my save back.

Once I learned how to resurrect my YLOD PS3 I'm not so worried. It's not hard to do as long as you are thorough and careful. Now when/if I do decide to transfer to a new one, all I'll lose is things like pictures and replays and tracks. The tracks are all that would potentially be a major loss, but still not as bad as losing all the work.

Flux and thermal paste aren't very expensive. The only notable expense is having to buy a heat gun if you don't have one, although you can supposedly do it in an oven(or with a hair dryer I've read, should work long enough to make a proper backup/data transfer at least). Of course I'm not sure how much using the new system prior to attempting a restore/transfer might interfere with how much you can copy.

Speaking of which, I'm probably overdue with updating my backup.

My playstion got the yellow light of death when I was at 98 percent. Almost level 40 both A and B-spec. I backed up all my data every time I quit the game but because I now have an other ps3 the backup files won't work.

Yes they will. So long as you're signing into the PS3 with an account with the same name and have the same PSNID attached to it, your gamesave backups will work on any PS3. I frequently move my save between my two PS3s (which means I have to update the car thumbnails a lot).

Anyone got something worse than this?

Yes, a good friend of mine (and GT5 player) was recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer.

Famine
Yes, a good friend of mine (and GT5 player) was recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer.

Yes, definately worse. I feel sorry for your friend.

Morgoth_666
Sorry to hear about that, I'm not sure how much I'd even bother to play it again after that if I couldn't get my save back.

Once I learned how to resurrect my YLOD PS3 I'm not so worried. It's not hard to do as long as you are thorough and careful. Now when/if I do decide to transfer to a new one, all I'll lose is things like pictures and replays and tracks. The tracks are all that would potentially be a major loss, but still not as bad as losing all the work.

Flux and thermal paste aren't very expensive. The only notable expense is having to buy a heat gun if you don't have one, although you can supposedly do it in an oven(or with a hair dryer I've read, should work long enough to make a proper backup/data transfer at least). Of course I'm not sure how much using the new system prior to attempting a restore/transfer might interfere with how much you can copy.

Speaking of which, I'm probably overdue with updating my backup.

You are correct. I got the ylod and used my chicks hair dryer. It worked long enough for me to back it up.... Then the rlod. Didn't fix it yet cuz I came home to a new 160gb ps3. Thanks to my girlfriend.

Started again this week, golded my licenses again and did a couple of challenges.
Anyone else got this kind of problems, did you start all over or just gave up? Give me your stories to ease the pain:P

You just need to have same log in on new PS3...mine finally died (RIP 60 fattie) But got new one loaded it up and I was back in business:tup:

Back