A-3 BMW M3... Am I losing my mind?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MasterDriver
  • 7 comments
  • 1,132 views
Messages
306
United States
NY
Messages
Liquizon
Ok i dont know about anyone else. BUT, I cant seem to get the GOLD. I've gotten as close as .179 away. Obviously its possible and i'm sure i'll do it sometime. But my point is, why would a "GOLD" be a near impossible track time. NO ONE can replicate that or average anything close to it. A GOLD @ 1.13.500 Would of been a much more Fair Gold win.

Even at 1.13.500 its an incredibly fast time and a near perfect driven lap. Whoever balanced this is smoking something.

P.S. Standard phyiscs, (as i've come to learn in-order to get GOLDS on everything Standard physics is a MUST). TCS=0,ASM=0, G25, Manual.

I'll continue to batter away at it tonight with TCS set to 1.

Was this test different before the 1.3 update??
 
Its hard for PD to hit everyones taste..
For some players its too hard, for others its too easy.

But I think its better to make it hard to beat than making it too easy, because it will get boring if it was too easy.
 
Thanx i'll try active steering on mild. I Saw the youtube vids. Honestly it looks identical to what i'm doing. Literally. INFACT, i'm actually carrying greater speed around serveral turns. Go figure. lol. I need a more accurate track diagram to show me my Split times and what the (GOLD SPLIT TIMES) are. that would be much much better. Then you know exactly where you need improvement.
 
I feel your frustration enough to prompt me to stop lurking and make my first post.... I struggled on this test for day after day.

If ever there was a test where success lives or dies on corner exit speed, A3 is the one... my big reductions in time came from learning not to go in to the corners too hot, then coasting round on no throttle and making sure that on the corner exits I was only making one move on the accelerator. If I got any sort of a slide the lap was ruined.

What I learnt.... 2nd gear is quicker through the hairpins than dropping to 1st; brake early for the fast left before the bridge and let the car settle before accelerating - no side slip is fastest; braking in a straight line in to the left at the bottom of the the hill, gently drifting wide mid corner, and letting the nose of the car settle back towards the apex before accelerating out in a straight line.

Even then the best I'd managed was a 1:13.1xx, but I was running constant 1:13.3xx's. Then I got a 1:12.7xx...

Coming in to the switch back hairpins section I was 0.1xx up on previous best and catching a group of 3 cars. I caught them up going in to the last up-hill left hander, dived up the inside and was able to 'lean' on one of them mid corner and get on the gas early without sliding. The really lucky part was this left me just behind the Ferrari, and he gave me a brilliant toe up the hill. Got down the inside of him under braking going in to the final left, drifted wide mid corner, then straightened out the exit and sailed over the finish line.

Stick at it without TC... I'm not saying it's impossible with TC on, but if you're getting enough wheelspin to trigger the TC you're not making a clean enough exit... you're already sooo close, gold is only a fraction away.
 
I was suggested this tip. Want to know the fastest way around a track in your car? Go to the "Rankings" and select the car and track you are interested in. Then, save the top replay to your hard drive. Go to "Time Trial", load in a "Ghost Replay" of what you downloaded. Start racing and follow the ghost of the fastest time.
__________________
 
I feel your frustration enough to prompt me to stop lurking and make my first post.... I struggled on this test for day after day.

If ever there was a test where success lives or dies on corner exit speed, A3 is the one... my big reductions in time came from learning not to go in to the corners too hot, then coasting round on no throttle and making sure that on the corner exits I was only making one move on the accelerator. If I got any sort of a slide the lap was ruined.

What I learnt.... 2nd gear is quicker through the hairpins than dropping to 1st; brake early for the fast left before the bridge and let the car settle before accelerating - no side slip is fastest; braking in a straight line in to the left at the bottom of the the hill, gently drifting wide mid corner, and letting the nose of the car settle back towards the apex before accelerating out in a straight line.

Even then the best I'd managed was a 1:13.1xx, but I was running constant 1:13.3xx's. Then I got a 1:12.7xx...

Coming in to the switch back hairpins section I was 0.1xx up on previous best and catching a group of 3 cars. I caught them up going in to the last up-hill left hander, dived up the inside and was able to 'lean' on one of them mid corner and get on the gas early without sliding. The really lucky part was this left me just behind the Ferrari, and he gave me a brilliant toe up the hill. Got down the inside of him under braking going in to the final left, drifted wide mid corner, then straightened out the exit and sailed over the finish line.

Stick at it without TC... I'm not saying it's impossible with TC on, but if you're getting enough wheelspin to trigger the TC you're not making a clean enough exit... you're already sooo close, gold is only a fraction away.


SToddy are you on a Controller or Wheel?
 
Sixaxis... stick for steering, buttons for gas/brake, manual gears.

I've worked out where my personal 'driving' weakness is from watching the top guys replays on time trial and it's steering smoothness. The top guys have uncanny smoothness with partial steering inputs - and I find it really hard to apply just the right amount of stick movement to get just enough steering to make the turn. What tends to happen is I end up applying full lock and 'oversteering' (not back end coming round, but too much lock), causing tyre howling understeer. On A3 I worked really hard to try and avoid just bunging the car in to the turn and scrubbing off speed with understeer, and it worked.

The less steering lock you have on when you hit the gas, the less chance you have of inducing oversteer - most cars will take full throttle in 2nd in a straight line, yet will spin up in 3rd or even 4th if you have too much lock applied.
 
Back