A Beginner with Questions.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cipher22
  • 3 comments
  • 615 views
Messages
103
Messages
Cipher37
So I bought GT5 on day one and I'm loving it. Just got to level 21 today. I guess I don't count as a beginner anymore, but there are questions I still have:

Do online races give you anything? As in Credits or Experience?

Is it even logical to sell any car? I tend to get horrible prices.

How can I learn how to tune my own cars? At the moment I am using the wonderful advice from the Tuning teams here on GTPlanet. :)

And how can I start to learn how to use a Manual transmission? I'm still using Automatic and would like to find a way to slowly ease my way into manual and then perhaps start playing with the clutch activated.

All replies are welcome. Thank you.
 
Do online races give you anything? As in Credits or Experience?

Depends if you like peanuts or not.

Is it even logical to sell any car? I tend to get horrible prices.

Only if you need the money really, usually more economical and to the point of the game to keep as many cars as possible.

How can I learn how to tune my own cars? At the moment I am using the wonderful advice from the Tuning teams here on GTPlanet. :)

GT4 guides help, all guides related to car tuning will probably help. And the tuning forum is full of tunes and ideas.

And how can I start to learn how to use a Manual transmission? I'm still using Automatic and would like to find a way to slowly ease my way into manual and then perhaps start playing with the clutch activated.

All replies are welcome. Thank you.

If you have a wheel with clutch, just practice with the clutch on immediately. To learn you must first do. If you've driven a stick before in real land, it will be easier but if you haven't, don't worry, its not that difficult.

I don't think you can use clutch on controller, I wouldn't advise it anyway.
 
I think the other questions have been answered adequately...

And how can I start to learn how to use a Manual transmission? I'm still using Automatic and would like to find a way to slowly ease my way into manual and then perhaps start playing with the clutch activated.

I wouldn't bother trying to learn the clutch unless it for pure enjoyment reasons... using the clutch offered a decent speed advantage in GT5P as you could change gear much quicker than the paddle change allowed, but in GT5 the gearchange speeds have been improved and now I think you'd struggle to change gear any faster with the clutch.

Also, using the clutch makes left foot braking very difficult unless you're very talented... and left foot braking is definitely the way to go if you want to be both fast and be able to drive some of the more difficult cars in the game - to help prevent oversteer when braking most mid engined cars work best when you maintain a bit of throttle whilst braking.

How to learn to use manual...

If you're using a wheel with paddle shifters then it reasonably straight forward... take a car you know well to a simple track. A medium powered car on something like High Speed Ring would work. Run laps using automatic changes and listen/watch/feel when the changes happen. Then switch to manual and try and repeat the sequence... you need to run enough laps that the changes start to come without you thinking about them... then you need to step up to something that needs more changes... a faster car or a more complex track.

Definitely worth learning manual as it will give you a speed advantage on most track/car combos.
 
So I bought GT5 on day one and I'm loving it. Just got to level 21 today. I guess I don't count as a beginner anymore, but there are questions I still have:

Do online races give you anything? As in Credits or Experience?

Yes, you get both credits and XP. It doesn't seem like much at first, but if you're like me and get addicted to online racing, you'll be making a lot of money anyways over the long run.

Is it even logical to sell any car? I tend to get horrible prices.

Depends. I tend to sell cars so they don't clutter up my garage, but occasionally it would make sense to keep one (for a Manufacturer's or Seasonal race, for instance).

How can I learn how to tune my own cars? At the moment I am using the wonderful advice from the Tuning teams here on GTPlanet. :)

That's a good way to start. Read as much as you can, learn what the parts & settings actually do. And do lots of driving and experimenting. Back in the day (GT1, GT2) us players were in the dark with tuning, we had to experiment constantly. What you're seeing here in the online tuning shops is the result of years of practice in some cases.

And how can I start to learn how to use a Manual transmission? I'm still using Automatic and would like to find a way to slowly ease my way into manual and then perhaps start playing with the clutch activated.

Pay attention to where the redline is. For the majority of cars, that's where you'll want to shift. After awhile, you'll get in the habit of just listening to the engine's sound and you'll know when to shift.

Also, pay attention to peak horsepower. If peak HP is significantly lower than redline, you won't want to wait too long before shifting. Peak horsepower area is the area where the engine is spinning at its fastest in the shortest amount of time, and you'll want to make the tach needle cross over this area as much as possible so your car will be ultimately that much quicker.

MT takes lots of practice & mistakes. But it's worth it in the long run.

All replies are welcome. Thank you.
 
Back