A better way to share/find a GT setup?

• Thread starter Simon Balk
  • 3 comments
Netherlands
Amsterdam
RacingPoppe
Hi,

I really like the setups being shared here, it helped me a lot to find the right directing wile tuning myself or just by coping it. I don't like the way the resource database works. I miss a lot of options/filters. With the closed beta, setups where placed in forum a thread. This was a big hassle to go through the pages to find the setup you're searching for.

I have this idea since GT5 but didn't had the time back then. Now I have some spare time and the new GT game is coming, which caused this idea to re-emerge in my head. I want to create a website where people can share their setups for Gran Turismo (maybe other games in the future) and make it easy to search/filter. I want to create nice overviews of setups, for instance when you're looking for a setup for a Gr4 race on "Brands Hatch - Grand Prix Circuit". Just filter on those 2 parameters and see an overview of the setups people have shared.

Creating a website like this should be no problem for me (it's my profession) but I want it to be good so people will actually like it and use it and people should really see it as an improvement. So I could really use some feedback if people like the idea.

What I though of so far:

User:
  • Register / login / forgot password
  • username, email address and password
  • Optional PSN name
  • Overview of your own setups and the ability to manage them
  • Choose metric or imperial system

Setups:
  • Specify the track & car
  • Everything that can be changed on the car, should be able to be entered in the website
  • Setups per type (road, dirt, drift)
  • Fastest lap time achieved with this setup
  • Add YouTube like to display the setup / fastest lap
  • Game version (for when a new update screws up the existing setups)
  • Rating system (what kind? +-, stars)
  • Ability to link to a generated image, which contains all the data so it can be posted on forums etc
  • Display the right metric / imperial values (kmh-mph, mm-inch, N/mm-lbs/inch)
  • Ability to compare against another setup to see the differences

Setup overviews:
  • View the car, group (Gr4. etc), track, lap time, username
  • Filter on car, group, track (username?)
  • Ability to sort the results on each column

Setup details
  • Display everything there is about this setup
  • Ability to rate the setup
  • Ability to leave comments?

The website should work on both mobile and desktop deceives. I can imagine people will be searching for setups on their phone/tabled when gaming.

What do you think of this? Are other people excited or am I the only one who thinks the sharing of setups can me improved?

Regards,
Sander

I've found most people who put at least some effort in to getting a set-up they like usually stick with it since there are just far too many variables, so perhaps your ideas wouldn't be used as much as you'd like.

I think the best thing anyone can do is to just learn to get good at setting cars up just by trial and error, although to get competent at set-ups, first you have to become a competent driver and be within three seconds of those at the top of TTs because anyone one then will be generally doing everything right so a 'good' set up will begin to work in unison too.

Of course setting up the car yourself is the best way to go, but a decent setup can give you an excellent starting point to refine it to your own style. It also depends on your driving style. I've tried setups of some of my friends and some had a very different setup which also forced me to drive the car differently. Sometimes I could improve my lap time and sometimes their setup wasn't my thing.

It took me a while before I knew what I was doing in the setup wise, so I think other people are struggling as well and for them it could be a nice stepping stone to see some fine setups.

Back