A big challenge by a different person...(Kakundoo's bid for the title in Super Aguri)

• Thread starter Kakundoo
  • 3 comments
Kakundoo
After reading Shaggy's thread, I was intrigued and decided to try it out myself. I knew from the start that it wouldn't be easy, but I have been pretty bored lately and needed to settle a score with Shaggy after not winning the World Championship :P lol.

All the settings are pretty much the same, hard difficulty and 30% race distance.

Wish me luck! :D

Bahrain

After competing for a seat at Super Aguri and getting the first driver position straight away, it was time for me to participate in my first race in my new team. I've always been good at Bahrain and knew that with the right setup, I could be competitive, especially after reading that Shaggy had won the race.

Qualifying
Q1 and Q2 was a doddle. I got the maximum out of the car and got first position in both outings on the first lap.
However, Q3 was a little bit harder. Only on a one-stopper, the car was pretty heavy and handled pretty poorly under braking so I had to change some of my lines through corners as well as which gears I was in. My lap times had gone from low 1:33s to low 1:35s :S whilst the Ferraris and Renaults kept their pace in the mid to high 1:34s.
With only 6 minutes left on the clock, I had to put in a good time, that was hopefully better than Alonso's 1:34.512. Luckily after a few attempts where I had messed up a different part of the lap each time, I finally put in a good, clean lap and pulled out a 1:34.412 and achieved pole with Alonso beside me and M.Schumacher behind me.

Race
I got a reasonable start off the grid, but Alonso got a better one, causing him to come up along side me into the first corner and knocking me wide so that Schumacher could come through on the inside of both of us and took the lead.
Even with fuel, I was comfortably faster than Alonso and chased down Schumacher, and I had passed him by the end of the lap.
My lead was growing all the time and I had a pretty boring race to be honest. No action in front of me as my lead kept growing. Although I had spun the car a couple of times, but was never overtaken by Schumacher.

I can't remember the exact order of the standings, but I know I was in first, with Schumacher close behind in second.
Alonso and Massa had both crashed out, which was good because they would be strong contenders in other races.
McLaren and Ferrari both had 8 points in the constructors as Super Aguri had 10.

Malaysia

Qualifying
I was hoping that I would be as consistent as I was in Bahrain in terms of pace, even though I knew it would be hard for me to score the win, but I remained positive. In Q1 I gained 6th place and in Q2 I only managed 8th. The chance of a good points finish was looking bleak, but at least it there was no sign of rain.
Q3 was an absolute disaster, I accidentally clicked on "End Session" instead of "Leave Garage", so my session was over before it had started, leaving me in 10th place....great.

Race
It was going to be a tough race and I would need to pull off a lot of clean, overtaking maneuvers to score some decent points.
I got a great start off the grid, getting into 6th or 7th straight away coming into turn 1 and saw that the Renaults had a lot of trouble. Fisichella being knocked out and Alonso being pushed down the grid. Result. However, in this mayhem I got a penalty and tried to stop people getting passed me in the process. I was now 9th and right behind (I can't remember who) going into turn 4 I believe. I braked really late, but managed to make the pass stick. So now I was chasing down Button and another person, who again I can't remember. On the straight going down into the last corner, I slip streamed Button as I had got a much better exit to the previous corner than him and did another amazing pass, again making it stick and still being able to take the corner well, things were looking up. And to top that, I did exactly the same move straight after on the next guy into turn 1, putting me in 6th.
Just a few laps into the Grand Prix saw me pass someone else and now I was in 5th, chasing down the McLarens and Ferraris. I was sure that I wouldn't be able to catch them, let alone pass them, but I did just that. I got passed Montoya a few laps later and was leaving him in my dust, it was great.
The first round of pit stops came and Raikkonen was pitting extremely late, but when he had done so, Massa was first, Schumacher second and I was in an amazing 3rd place with the McLarens a good 4-5 seconds behind me. The only downer, was the fact that the Ferraris had gained 3 seconds on me each and Schumacher was 8 seconds down the road and I was not catching him.
In my desperate attempts I made a couple of mistakes, resulting in the McLarens catching back up to me. What was worse was that Raikkonen clearly didn't know how to use his brake pedal and hit into the back of me, not damaging me, but this allowed Montoya to fly passed me and gain a 3 second lead with only 2 laps remaining. I pushed as hard as I could but only managed to get the gap down to 2.1 as my tyres were so degraded.
I consulted the stewards about the matter, but nothing was done unfortunately.

Driver Standings after 2 races
1. Schumacher - 16 points
2. Franklin - 15 points
(Will update the rest when I remember to write them down lol)

Melbourne next, a track I don't like immensely, so it will be another tough one.

Wow, now I want to do this too, not only for fun, but to show I've got the skills too.

Back