A Community Thread: What would you like out of a GT5 Photomode sub-forum?

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 58 comments
This is gong to be good Slip! When GT5 comes out the community is going to be active.

..does this mean you'll be taking part, buddy? ;)

Also, I want to remind that the next PMC installment will get back to it's unedited (no Photoshop usage except resize) roots, so the difference between PMC and 2.0 will be bigger than it's difference in the GT4 Photomode.

You already know I'm all for an H2H poll in PMC! Like you mentioned, having it once a month, on the week's inbetween 2.0's H2H polls (Week 2: PMC, Week 4: 2.0, Week 6, PMC, etc), works well, in my eyes.

About PMC rules though; wasn't it always resize/rotate, and brightness/contrast? And gamma adjustments were allowed during the busiest times. Oh, and cropping for the sake of getting rid of the watermark. Those are simple enough features to not really change peoples' entries too much, because I do agree; the main PMC should always be about little editing, but focus on composition and ease of entry, to allow for more members of the community to take part. Tying into that...

GT5 photomode will never become the same as GT4 photomode though :indiff:

All those years I spent in pursuit of guys like franz, 440 Charger, SlipZ, sejtur, and many others will probably remain the best period I've had here at GTPlanet.

GT5 is so perfect that you won't even need to break out any smoothing tools, it'll be all about angle and colors. I'll miss the heavy blurring I used to do.

PMC was never about that though, to be honest. We'll still have 2.0 to apply ridiculous blurs (well, moreso exaggerate the in-game blurs, since they seem so much better this go-round). The hyper-blurred were certainly an eye-catching style, but they don't leave a lot of room for variety, and definitely require a fair bit of knowledge in Photoshop. I've always been under the impression PMC is the main event, in the sense that it should invite the most members. And a lot of them just don't have the (borderline obsessive) amounts of patience we all have ;). Which will bring me to another point...

I won't.

And don't get me wrong on that, I loved your work and I really think it was on par with guys like franz, 440 Charger, sejtur, Slipz, alexwrc, Moglet, Beerz, etc., but I really prefer to spend time and focus in composition only, rather than hours in Photoshop hiding and cleaning textures.

👍

We've all had the discussion a few times, but 2.0 could draw criticism for votes going to the best Photoshop mastery. That will never happen in PMC, which is good because as the main event, we want to avoid arguments as much as possible.

I mentioned it to Luis back-channel, but I'm bringing it up here; for those checking into the GT5 board, Joey D has the excellent Star In A Reasonably Priced Car idea. Even more impressively, Jordan has given the go-ahead to make it the Official GTP event. It's going to take in members from all over (long-standing, mods, WRS winners, Photomode contributors)... really, a lot of fun for the whole community. I was thinking... perhaps we should talk with Jordan about making PMC an Official GTP event too? It's the ideal candidate; it requires little from a member for an entry, and will have bigger polls. I can't remember if it was FC.net or the official Forza boards, but they had their photomode competitions directly tied to the front-page, and I really think that could help the community a lot :).

Whether other comps deserve the "official" tag is questionable. I personally see it fine to leave it as one; PMC should be the main focus, the others are more specialized. Again, let's all discuss, and we'll take it to Jordan depending on what we come up with? :)

Bravo Slip, that looks fantastic! Very classy!

I think until we actually get our hands on photo-mode, its going to be hard to judge what rules should or should not be in. I'm sure after a week or so, it will be clear as to what needs to be in the comps as far as rules.

Thanks RG 👍

True, the comp rules may need to be changed, depending on what we end up with. I know that'll be the case with 2.0, but the good thing about PMC is it probably will only need minimal tweaking, if any at all, since it doesn't allow for half as much post-processing. But still, yeah, we need to see how Photomode actually works!

I plan on getting my gallery open first and foremost, and then see what the comps are looking like. The one thing I'm afraid of is that there will be several new users just randomly posting competitions, not knowing how we truly like to keep things organized here.

Best case scenario in my opinion would be to have like we said earlier, a strictly competition sub-forum with only the people that know how to run the comps allowed to create threads/comps. We can always have a sticky for people to lend there ideas and or requests for current, future, and new comps including the rules for all of them.

Anything remotely looking like the Forza 3 forums will steer people away. I know it did for me. Organization is the key here.

Firstly; yeah, I plan on a gallery first. Comps will have to wait at least a week or two, maybe even a month, before starting up, so that everybody can get comfy with the new game (and build up some decent garages for subjects).

I'm wondering if the forum software allows for specific members to be able to post in certain sub-forums. An alternate, easy option, is to work with the staff with it. Have a comp sub-forum created, but keep it locked until we're ready to start the comps? Just so people know that they are indeed coming, and don't get antsy to up and create a new thread just to say "first!"?

Organization really is key, agreed. We've got 27 days before it's in our hands :)

:D

I forgot to say; I really like what you guys decided with the rules. It's all very clear and precise for people. It should be very easy to understand.

One thing I was thinking of adding; a line saying people should hold onto the original image that GT5 spits out. This is incase any questions arise about potential rule-breaking. Though due to the nature of this comp, it'd be easy to hide some of the more subtle rule-bending (like plug-ins, which I'll touch on later). It'd mostly be to check the geometry of cars or if any images were imported in. Thoughts?
Yeah, that was really a community effort. Took a couple weeks to sort out if I remember correctly.
I agree with the fact that original images should be included as well, or linked to. I don't remember if I brought that up for the GT4 rules but always thought it should've been that way.
I also think that plug-ins should stay out. It would open up a whole can of worms. If there's a big enough debate about it, make it a special event, and have original shots provided.
Y'know, I'm wondering what kind of video capability GT5 is supposed to be providing us. I don't know what Jordan and the team's plans are; if it'd be, say "Photo and Video Gallery" sub-forum, or what. I'd imagine that would make sense though, so that our galleries could contain both, instead of their being a separate Photo sub-forum as well as a Video one, which could create a lot more threads. So maybe we'll end up with a video comp?
Can you imagine how big that forum would be? oh lord, with everyone posting both images and videos, I think it would get completely nuts. I'd like to see seperate video/photo threads.

GT5 photomode will never become the same as GT4 photomode though :indiff:

All those years I spent in pursuit of guys like franz, 440 Charger, SlipZ, sejtur, and many others will probably remain the best period I've had here at GTPlanet.

GT5 is so perfect that you won't even need to break out any smoothing tools, it'll be all about angle and colors. I'll miss the heavy blurring I used to do.
I agree with ya there Bram, but the possibilities in the future will be insanely awesome too. Photoshopping was really fun indeed, and I think you still might be able to "import" your style into GT5...into some shots at least.

You already know I'm all for an H2H poll in PMC! Like you mentioned, having it once a month, on the week's inbetween 2.0's H2H polls (Week 2: PMC, Week 4: 2.0, Week 6, PMC, etc), works well, in my eyes.

About PMC rules though; wasn't it always resize/rotate, and brightness/contrast? And gamma adjustments were allowed during the busiest times. Oh, and cropping for the sake of getting rid of the watermark. Those are simple enough features to not really change peoples' entries too much, because I do agree; the main PMC should always be about little editing, but focus on composition and ease of entry, to allow for more members of the community to take part. Tying into that...

First PMC week didn't allow any editing apart from resize I think. The objective of the PMC (as I see) was to be a Photomode only (unedited) oriented competition. Brightness, contrast and gamma were added because of the problem with GT4 images being darker in a computer screen, than seeing in TV (or so I've red). Has I hope GT5 Photomode won't have that problem and that will be more sophisticated, I want to get back to that Photomode only situation with no photoshop (apart from resize and crop if I see capable of seeing if an image was altered or not in Photoshop without watermark).

👍

We've all had the discussion a few times, but 2.0 could draw criticism for votes going to the best Photoshop mastery. That will never happen in PMC, which is good because as the main event, we want to avoid arguments as much as possible.

I mentioned it to Luis back-channel, but I'm bringing it up here; for those checking into the GT5 board, Joey D has the excellent Star In A Reasonably Priced Car idea. Even more impressively, Jordan has given the go-ahead to make it the Official GTP event. It's going to take in members from all over (long-standing, mods, WRS winners, Photomode contributors)... really, a lot of fun for the whole community. I was thinking... perhaps we should talk with Jordan about making PMC an Official GTP event too? It's the ideal candidate; it requires little from a member for an entry, and will have bigger polls. I can't remember if it was FC.net or the official Forza boards, but they had their photomode competitions directly tied to the front-page, and I really think that could help the community a lot :).

Whether other comps deserve the "official" tag is questionable. I personally see it fine to leave it as one; PMC should be the main focus, the others are more specialized. Again, let's all discuss, and we'll take it to Jordan depending on what we come up with? :)

I still think that if the PMC deserves an official tag, so should the 2.0, because, it is mainly an PMC upgrade, as I see it. It's, let's say, PMC with Photoshop.

I'm wondering if the forum software allows for specific members to be able to post in certain sub-forums. An alternate, easy option, is to work with the staff with it. Have a comp sub-forum created, but keep it locked until we're ready to start the comps? Just so people know that they are indeed coming, and don't get antsy to up and create a new thread just to say "first!"?
Agree 100%. If that could be made, it would be wonderful.

Also, a Photomode Competitions Index, would be a great way, to let people know what are the available competitions (I won't be admired if some get a bit buried down under).

Are we going to have a contest, where everyone has to edit a certain shot. Along with that, are we going to have the following added to the Photomode Tournament:

*Teams Division
*Group Stage

I agree with the fact that original images should be included as well, or linked to. I don't remember if I brought that up for the GT4 rules but always thought it should've been that way.

That will be added to the rules for 2.0 👍

Can you imagine how big that forum would be? oh lord, with everyone posting both images and videos, I think it would get completely nuts. I'd like to see seperate video/photo threads.

I'm just assuming if we have any kind of video capability built into GT5, we'll get a matching sub-forum around here. It's just a guess, but it'd be a reasonable move to keep the clutter down. I'm with you on that one!

I agree with ya there Bram, but the possibilities in the future will be insanely awesome too. Photoshopping was really fun indeed, and I think you still might be able to "import" your style into GT5...into some shots at least.

Bram's style definitely should be able to be done again... which gives us yet another reason to pressure him into joining in :lol:

I want to get back to that Photomode only situation with no photoshop

Now that I think about it, I agree; considering how well the shots are that are being provided by PD, there's no reason for editing 👍

I still think that if the PMC deserves an official tag, so should the 2.0, because, it is mainly an PMC upgrade, as I see it. It's, let's say, PMC with Photoshop.

Agree 100%. If that could be made, it would be wonderful.

We will see about all of the above, since I'm still talking with Jordan back-channel about things. Whether or not we're given the "Official" tag, he does plan on having many news articles up on the front page about various community events, so there's always that still :)

Also, a Photomode Competitions Index, would be a great way, to let people know what are the available competitions (I won't be admired if some get a bit buried down under).

Agreed!

Are we going to have a contest, where everyone has to edit a certain shot. Along with that, are we going to have the following added to the Photomode Tournament:

*Teams Division
*Group Stage

Sort of like CCCL, but more limited? I could see both the advantages and drawbacks of such a contest. It'd be interesting, to say the least.

Dunno about the Photomode Tournament in any shape, but I doubt many people would be for the idea of Teams. Group shots might also be a tough one, because who enters it? We'll have to see what the game allows us to do...

UPDATE: So uh, obviously this new delay sets us back a bit, since we planned on having the game in two weeks :(. Jordan has mentioned that the full expansion of the GT5 forum will take place about a week or so before the release... whenever that might be.

I will like a lot to have some public threads with photomode's photos by all users,just photos and no posting to create the ultimate photomode album.

And I like Nicknamealguem idea,photomode without too much photoshop involved,use the basic tools to get the best out of what the options offers.

Bumpy bumpy, in 12 days we'll be seeing some shiny newness.

(I'm disappointed with a lot of what's been announced, but still... new GT is, afterall, new GT)

GT5 Online Photo Shoot - New Date: 27th November
Time: 8pm - UK time "Maybe"

----

Confrimed

franz
NTX
440 Charger
Moglet
SlipZtrEm

Invited

alexwrc
Magburner
jgda9rs
Sejtur
Greycap
Swiss Legend
Speedster502
Nicknamealguem
jacoja06

Last edited:
I’d like to mention that I’m very interested in all of these ideas and the event planned in a couple of weeks.
It would be great to listen to podcasts again. I really enjoyed listening to them… and I think Bram did an excellent job of them last time.

As for this event planned for the 27th (4am, 28th for me), put me in the ‘Maybe attending’ pile. I have a big day on the 28th (Meeting Mark Webber, too :) 👍 ), so I don’t want it to overlap with anything, or I don’t want to lose massive amounts of sleep. If I do make it, it will be bloody awesome to attend such an event with GTP’s best photomode’rs. Thanks for the invitation, TVR.

Will there be a particular theme? Or are we just going to rock up in our first cars?

Last edited:
@ jacoja06: If there is a feature to send out replays via GT5, then I would be willing to send you the replay. That is if you cannot make it.

----

How many themes will there be? Two
What will be the themes? I will reveal the themes, during the weekend.

Last edited:
I’d like to mention that I’m very interested in all of these ideas and the event planned in a couple of weeks.
It would be great to listen to podcasts again. I really enjoyed listening to them… and I think Bram did an excellent job of them last time.

As for this event planned for the 27th (4am, 28th for me), put me in the ‘Maybe attending’ pile. I have a big day on the 28th (Meeting Mark Webber, too :) 👍 ), so I don’t want it to overlap with anything, or I don’t want to lose massive amounts of sleep. If I do make it, it will be bloody awesome to attend such an event with GTP’s best photomode’rs. Thanks for the invitation, TVR.

Will there be a particular theme? Or are we just going to rock up in our first cars?

Jacoja! Enjoy meeting Webber, you lucky bastid. Looking forward to some good racing and pics from you :cheers:

Not wanting to give too much away... but I think you guys will really, really enjoy what's planned for next week when the game is in our hands. We're really working on making it the best experience for not just the veterans from GT4 times, but also very inviting and helpful for the new people. You'll see what I'm talking about soon enough :D

Hey, SlipZtrEm :dopey:. Yep, the racing and photo shoots between old photomoders will be just epic.

I'm really looking forward to see what you guys have come up with.
Edit: I also dig the 2.0 banners you posted on the first page. Looks very hunky-dory.

@ jacoja06: If there is a feature to send out replays via GT5, then I would be willing to send you the replay. That is if you cannot make it.

Sounds good. BUT it's not quite the same thing as attending. I really don't want to miss out on this first shoot.

Edit 2: By the way. Does Jordan ever visit the photomode section? Is he aware of any of these plans, and do you think he would be willing to place photomode events under the news section?

Last edited:
Hey, SlipZtrEm :dopey:. Yep, the racing and photo shoots between old photomoders will be just epic.

I'm really looking forward to see what you guys have come up with.
Edit: I also dig the 2.0 banners you posted on the first page. Looks very hunky-dory.

Sounds good. BUT it's not quite the same thing as attending. I really don't want to miss out on this first shoot.

Edit 2: By the way. Does Jordan ever visit the photomode section? Is he aware of any of these plans, and do you think he would be willing to place photomode events under the news section?

They will be quite epic... hope you can make the first meet! I'm there unless I'm working.

Glad you like the 2.0 banner, though there have been some tiny changes that have been done behind the curtains, you guys will get a peek in a little bit; I feel the changes make it even better :).

And yes, Jordan and I (and Luis) have all been discussing things backchannel. I don't want to let out too many details yet since things are (understandably) more than a bit hectic with a week to go. But like I said... big surprises await :D

Topic Idea:​

Good Photomode Locations - This would focus on area's, around a wide range of race circuits.

Moving On

I can confrim, that the first photo shoot theme will be starting cars. With the second theme being a mix of car types.

And yes, Jordan and I (and Luis) have all been discussing things backchannel.

big surprises await :D

You’ve already surpassed my expectations. :eek:

And TVR, good theme for the first photomode shoot. I was kinda hoping it would be first cars. It will hold some nice memories from our early days of GT5.

I can feel this thread heating up. Cant wait to see you guys create beautiful photos. The:gtpflag: Is going to to be rocking When GT5 drops.

I'm so excited right now! A little upset that standard cars can't be used in the really pretty photomode, but there's always racing photos to be taken! ;)

I think we'll see lots of 'standard' vs. 'premium' comparisons.

With all the jaw-dropping, high quality shots, I think getting great photos will be easy. In GT4, it took a bit of skill to get a great photo.

I'm so excited right now! A little upset that standard cars can't be used in the really pretty photomode, but there's always racing photos to be taken! ;)

Does this mean it's actually impossible to take a standard car to a photomode location? Or is it because you just wouldn't want to, given the fact that they're 'polished' 10 year-old, single-mesh models?

You’ve already surpassed my expectations. :eek:

And TVR, good theme for the first photomode shoot. I was kinda hoping it would be first cars. It will hold some nice memories from our early days of GT5.
If there is a good turn out, then I may be willing to do some racing after the photo shoot.

I think we'll see lots of 'standard' vs. 'premium' comparisons.

With all the jaw-dropping, high quality shots, I think getting great photos will be easy. In GT4, it took a bit of skill to get a great photo.
Everyone will need to use composure in their shots, when it comes to producing good shots.

Last edited:
Does this mean it's actually impossible to take a standard car to a photomode location? Or is it because you just wouldn't want to, given the fact that they're 'polished' 10 year-old, single-mesh models?
As far as we know, standard cars aren't allowed to be taken to the photomode locations, though they can still be photographed in race replays.

Dylansan is right about Standards. No Photo Travel, but replays are still okay for them. Just try not to zoom in too much ;).

In related news: the GT5 Photomode sub-forum is live! I look forward to some of you crafty vets opening up your galleries, and helping teach new members. They'll also surely be able to teach us a thing or two, as well. Here we go!

(Also, a huge thank you to all who took part in this discussion over the last few months, your input has been a huge help :cheers: )

Fair enough that they don't allow standards in phototravel. They aren't the prettiest looking things. Especially the race car graphics...

Great to see the GT5 photomode section open. I'm already starting to plan out my gallery... though I'll need to take a few nice photo's first before I start creating banners, etc. Could take an extra week or so.

And Slip... great to see that you've become a super-mod. The photomode section definitely needs one around. 👍

I might bring Saturday's photo shoot forward by an hour, which would make it 7pm "UK Time".

Fair enough that they don't allow standards in phototravel. They aren't the prettiest looking things. Especially the race car graphics...

Great to see the GT5 photomode section open. I'm already starting to plan out my gallery... though I'll need to take a few nice photo's first before I start creating banners, etc. Could take an extra week or so.

And Slip... great to see that you've become a super-mod. The photomode section definitely needs one around. 👍

Thanks Jacoja :). Seems people were already itching for comps, too! ;)

To give you guys an idea of how big we can expect GT5's Photomode to be, and how much exposure you'll be getting over in the sub-forum; my gallery here, despite being here in basically the prime-time of GT4's lifespan, has just about tallied 33,000 views since it started. There are threads over in the Galleries section that have already amassed +3000 views, without a single picture! People are hungry for GT5 pictures; let's give them what they're looking for :cheers:

(Also, expect the CPG Directory, and assorted stickied threads, to be making appearances all very shortly)

Back