A few Noob Questions

Messages
82
Hey guys, hoping to become an active member around these parts. I was reading around and figured I'd make an account.

My first question is how can I give my car better handling. Specifically the McLaren f1 stealth you get from preorder. I heard something about those racing tires. I dont really want to blow 36k on soft tires if my cars still going to be spinning circles. Anything to have better handling would help

My second question lies in the aspect of gas/maintenance/pit stops. Does my gas go empty over time? Do I need to do certain tuneups? Is there any point for a pit stop in like a 3 lap race?

I dont want my car to combust or anything, so I hope Im not missing something. As far as all that maintenance goes, what do i need to do/not do.

Thanks, and Im hoping to contribute more questions(and answers) as time speeds by and I dont do my homework and play gt5 instead.
 
Hey guys, hoping to become an active member around these parts. I was reading around and figured I'd make an account.

My first question is how can I give my car better handling. Specifically the McLaren f1 stealth you get from preorder. I heard something about those racing tires. I dont really want to blow 36k on soft tires if my cars still going to be spinning circles. Anything to have better handling would help
Make sure you buy the "chassis reinforcement" in the tuning shop, it helps a little, also buy the fully customizable suspension, helps quite a bit.
My second question lies in the aspect of gas/maintenance/pit stops. Does my gas go empty over time? Do I need to do certain tuneups? Is there any point for a pit stop in like a 3 lap race?
You only use gas in endurance races, same for pit stops. As for maintenance, just check gt auto everyonce in a while, check your oil there, if its a dark brown, change your oil. That's it really.
I dont want my car to combust or anything, so I hope Im not missing something. As far as all that maintenance goes, what do i need to do/not do.

Thanks, and Im hoping to contribute more questions(and answers) as time speeds by and I dont do my homework and play gt5 instead.

Helping out a fellow Canadian! :dopey:
 
Hi and welcome :)

im pretty new here as well.

About your question.. To make a mid-engine car as the Mc L F1 handle good you need to put some camber to youre front tyres, aroung 1,0.. dont pus more camber than that. if you drove a front engine car with more weight on the front axel you shoul probobly go for 2-2,5 degre camber.. And im talking positive camber where the side that touches the tarmac is more out ´from the wheelhousing and the top pointing in under your hood. You can also laborate with a firmer springrate in the rear if you think its to much of oversteer in your car. if its the other way around just do the oposit until you found a setup that fits you.. Also try some toe-out to the front making the tyres grip better in to corners.. i use around -0,8--1,0 depending on the car. Also you need to adjust the dampers depending on roadsurface.. if you are going on a bumby circuit you need less damper streangth.. if its a plain track you can ride much harder with loads of grip dispite the hard dampers.. good luck!
 
Soft racing tires really do make a noticeable difference though, some cars are totally transformed from blocks of ice into industrial-strength glue once those babies are on.
 
Soft racing tires are worth every bit of the 36 thousand credits.

Edit: Welcome to :gtpflag:
 
I find any car that at first feels 'slippery' will take much practice and a little tuning before it becomes race credible. Try it out on a practice run and bit by bit tweak the settings until it becomes suitable for your style of driving. Soft tires will help, as will toughening up the springs a bit to reduce body roll.
 
Sorry to bump an old thread. I meant to ask this previously. When I get the tires, it says something about durability...is that one of those things effected when I do those endurance races? Or will my tires randomly screw up in the middle of a 3 lap race?
 
durability is only activated in endurance races and races where you can do pit stops. You'll notice when the filling of the tires is shrinking (bottom loft the 4 tires).
On Endurance races you may have to pit stop a lot with soft tires. However you have to just try, because hard tires do not necessarilly last longer. For example on tracks with a lot of turns they get used more because you may blast them away more easily.
 
Back