A few of my gripes about this game...

  • Thread starter Thread starter chuyler1
  • 15 comments
  • 793 views

chuyler1

Premium
Messages
4,547
United States
New Hampshire
Messages
chuyler1
In order to compete in the Mini Challenge you must buy a Mini. But if you complete the challenge you win a Mini. What's the point of winning a Mini when you already have one? :crazy: The same is true for most of the A-spec challenges. I am constantly looking at the prize cars to make sure if I do buy a car for a challenge it isn't the one I am going to win at the end...but in some cases you don't have a choice. I've got about 60 cars in my garage and I haven't used half of them.

I know you can just sell it to buy something else but why not make some other race give you the mini so you feel like you are working to win something you actually want. You could still buy the mini beforehand if you wanted but savvy players could perform events in a particular order to save credits.

I think my favorite career-mode in a game has to be NFS:Porsche Unleashed. In that game they gave you enough credits to buy your first car and you went chronologically through the different eras of porsche. If you came in first place for a race, you could usually purchase the best car available for the next race. If you ran the race a few times you could afford to modify it. Every car you purchased had a purpose and there was a race to use it. :)

In GT5, the process of buying cars for a race is painful. First you go to A-spec and find the race you want. Then you check the competition to see what kind of HP your competitors will have. Next you go to your garage to see if you have anything that matches. If you don't...you have to go all the way to the home screen, shop around in the used car lot, shop around in the dealers lots, then eventually find what you want. Next you go back to the A-spec event and double check your competition. Woah, you've got the same car but they've got way more HP. Go back to the home screen and enter the tuning center. Add mods until you are within a decent range of your competitors. Go back to the A-spec event and start the race. After turn 2 you realize you've got way to much HP and will have a 5 second lead after turn 3. Whoops. Oh well, might as well just finish the race. For a 5 minute race, you just spent 15 minutes getting ready for it.:crazy:

Wouldn't it be easier if you could just bring up a list of cars in the dealership that match the race, pick one and start racing?
 
Agreed.

Enlighten me to one thing though...how/where do you check your competition?
 
If you don't like the game don't play it.

Most of the people here enjoy that, needing to EARN the cars you want.
It's more like in real life, you're not going to have enough money to buy a McLaren F1 after winning one amateur race.

Get used to it or stop playing.
 
In order to compete in the Mini Challenge you must buy a Mini. But if you complete the challenge you win a Mini. What's the point of winning a Mini when you already have one?

You use a BMW Mini and win the original Mini it makes sense to me. What were you expecting an x2010 ?

In GT5, the process of buying cars for a race is painful. First you go to A-spec and find the race you want. Then you check the competition to see what kind of HP your competitors will have. Next you go to your garage to see if you have anything that matches. If you don't...you have to go all the way to the home screen, shop around in the used car lot, shop around in the dealers lots, then eventually find what you want. Next you go back to the A-spec event and double check your competition. Woah, you've got the same car but they've got way more HP. Go back to the home screen and enter the tuning center. Add mods until you are within a decent range of your competitors. Go back to the A-spec event and start the race. After turn 2 you realize you've got way to much HP and will have a 5 second lead after turn 3. Whoops. Oh well, might as well just finish the race. For a 5 minute race, you just spent 15 minutes getting ready for it.:crazy:
Why not use the car in stock form that way you will have a challenging race 💡
 
I must admit that it would be cool to win a useful car for the next championship available
 
I agree the menu system is a bit of a pain in the ass with the load times, I wouldnt really mind it if everything loaded instantly.
 
If you don't like the game don't play it.

Most of the people here enjoy that, needing to EARN the cars you want.
It's more like in real life, you're not going to have enough money to buy a McLaren F1 after winning one amateur race.

Get used to it or stop playing.
I just don't understand the point of gifting cars you will never use. I'm not expecting to get copious amounts of credits for winning one race. I'm expecting a progression through the various races and an easy way to keep racing without spending time bouncing between slow menus to do so.

You use a BMW Mini and win the original Mini it makes sense to me. What were you expecting an x2010 ?
No, I won a '98 mini. Since I bought a '06 just to compete in the event I don't have much use for a 98.

Why not use the car in stock form that way you will have a challenging race 💡
I usually try to but its hard to gauge whether I will be able to keep up. I usually shoot for a HP rating in the middle of the typical opponents. Sometimes I get good races, other times I end up over spending.

Another example was the Classic Muscle Car race. I bought a '70 Challenger and jumped into the race. It was fun until I hit the first straight and my car started bouncing off the rev limiter and everyone passed me. I bought the 5-speed tranny...didn't help. Then I bought the 20,000 tranny and upped the top speed. Then my car was too fast. I messed around by following in 2nd place then just blew past the leader when it was close to the end. It's just hard to get a good challenging race.
 
The icon next to Entry Requirements.
Yeah, if the arrow is on the track icon, hit the up arrow on the controller -- it goes right to the spot where it lists all the typical opponents. Click on that, and you'll see the list. :)

Winning an original Mini is a good prize for MINI owners. I'm biased, because I have an original, I guess. It might not be extremely useful, but at least it's a prize that makes sense, and you could probably take it to some classic events if you had to.

But winning a street Lupo in the Lupo Cup race? Err, gee, thanks for the car. Could I just have some more cash, instead? lol
 
Occasionally things do work out though, so it isn't in every case. For completing the Amateur Classic Muscle Car Championship you win a Buick '62 Special. You can use this car in the Professional Muscle Car Championship...but it is damn fast and blows away the competition. I tried that race with my stock '70 Challenger and it was too slow, so rather than spend money modding it I just switch to the '62 Special. That was one case where I didn't have to buy anything to race.
 
No, I won a '98 mini. Since I bought a '06 just to compete in the event I don't have much use for a 98.

That's what I meant it's the original one the old ones all look the same to me :). I suppose they could have given the premium cooper s instead though.

I usually try to but its hard to gauge whether I will be able to keep up. I usually shoot for a HP rating in the middle of the typical opponents. Sometimes I get good races, other times I end up over spending.

Another example was the Classic Muscle Car race. I bought a '70 Challenger and jumped into the race. It was fun until I hit the first straight and my car started bouncing off the rev limiter and everyone passed me. I bought the 5-speed tranny...didn't help. Then I bought the 20,000 tranny and upped the top speed. Then my car was too fast. I messed around by following in 2nd place then just blew past the leader when it was close to the end. It's just hard to get a good challenging race.

At times it does seem that it's either impossible or really easy it can be done though but not everybody has the patience for this. Iv'e played every GT game and in certain aspects things haven't changed much, like this.
 
At times it does seem that it's either impossible or really easy it can be done though but not everybody has the patience for this. Iv'e played every GT game and in certain aspects things haven't changed much, like this.
Exactly. I think that's why I get the most enjoyment out of the license tests and special events. I really enjoy the seasonal bonus races where you start in 12th place and have to work your way to the front over 5-10 laps. Those make for exciting racing for all laps since the racers are spread out. But the run of the mill A-spec events are difficult to get right. Sometimes if you don't get out in front right away you can never catch up to the leader.
 
Exactly. I think that's why I get the most enjoyment out of the license tests and special events. I really enjoy the seasonal bonus races where you start in 12th place and have to work your way to the front over 5-10 laps. Those make for exciting racing for all laps since the racers are spread out. But the run of the mill A-spec events are difficult to get right. Sometimes if you don't get out in front right away you can never catch up to the leader.

Without referencing any other games, GT needs to spend some time reading these boards a bit more seriously. There have been many things asked for that you can go through forums back through GT2 and see nothing has been done about.

I hate having to do "work" to get an appropriate classed car. Its a game. I dont want to spend hours/minutes/days/seconds trying to see if I am just going to blow the competition out of the water or be dropped by the leader 15 seconds a lap. Put some kind of rating to the cars (applied consistently over the game) so you can say "OK, thats the rating my car needs to be XXX".

PD needs to start showing that they are attempting to put out a quality product versus a mid-model year warm over.
 
I just don't understand the point of gifting cars you will never use. I'm not expecting to get copious amounts of credits for winning one race. I'm expecting a progression through the various races and an easy way to keep racing without spending time bouncing between slow menus to do so.

If they would always give you a car that you could use for the next race series, wouldn't that eliminate the option of choosing what kind of car you want to use? I too think it is slightly silly that you are somtimes rewarded with a car that you could have used in the race series you just won it from, but ultimately if they always gave you the next car you need, most people would just use that instead of making an educated decision on what kind of car they want to use, and the game would be ultra-linear in its progression (ie like porsche unleashed evolution mode) and it eliminates the point of having 1000+ cars in the game.
 
If you don't like the game don't play it.

Most of the people here enjoy that, needing to EARN the cars you want.
It's more like in real life, you're not going to have enough money to buy a McLaren F1 after winning one amateur race.

Get used to it or stop playing.

Go away fanboi. There are legitimate issues with this game that everyone has a right to express.

"Go play something else" was a tired response 20 years ago. You're not bringing anything new to the table.

If you don't like the complaints, don't click on the thread title and read it. There are plenty of GT5 fan-wanking threads for you to participate in.




Now, as for the OP's post:

GT has always been a car collecting sim first and a racing / driving game second.

That being said, it does seem that GT5 is the worst in the series with regards to awarding you with prize cars that will actually have some use elsewhere.

THAT being said, if you run both A & B-Spec you can get through the entirety of the first two tiers of both only having to purchase 3 cars. (Your starter, if it's a Miata. A truck. And something for the Classic Muscle Car championship.) Third tier is the first one that typically requires a bunch more purchases.
 
Interesting doug. I'll have to look closer at the b-spec reward cars. I ran about 2 races in b-spec before getting bored. The existence of b-spec pretty much proves your point though. It allows the car collector to race his/her cars without requiring any technique other than picking the right car for the right race and training your driver with a few nudges here and there.

Photo-mode plays into that arena as well. Anyone else find it impossible to use photo mode with a DFGT? I think there are some pan/zoom features that simply can't be done without the joy sticks.
 
Back