A few questions from a new member

  • Thread starter Thread starter HoweyO
  • 10 comments
  • 1,127 views
Messages
15
Messages
Howey-O
Hello everyone! I've been playing GT5 for a few months, and I like it a lot. It's an excellent game!

I have a few questions that have come along with the playing, and I was wondering if anyone have the time to answer them:

1. If I turn the damage during racing to "heavy", will this make it so that I have to overhaul engine and chassis more rapidly?

2. When should we perform the overhauls, and why?

3. Why are some cars without a spesific year-model?

4. Why are some car-specs not listed on some of the more expencive cars?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Keep on racing! 👍
 
Hello everyone! I've been playing GT5 for a few months, and I like it a lot. It's an excellent game!

I have a few questions that have come along with the playing, and I was wondering if anyone have the time to answer them:

1. If I turn the damage during racing to "heavy", will this make it so that I have to overhaul engine and chassis more rapidly?No. That damage is only damage that occurs to a car during a race, which is reset each time a new race starts, exit/enter the race again. The wear and tear on your engine/body comes from time in car and miles driven.

2. When should we perform the overhauls, and why?Perform an engine overhaul when an oil change won't bring it back to it's maximum horsepower anymore. This is after the breakin period of approx. 100 miles driven in-game.

3. Why are some cars without a spesific year-model?These are cars that have been extensively modified by an aftermarket team, such as the Art Morrison Corvette.

4. Why are some car-specs not listed on some of the more expensive cars?Car manufactures like to keep some of their stuff secret is what it boils down to.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Keep on racing! 👍

About the best I can get with the answers.
 
The above is correct. Just to elaborate on damage. Light damage goes away after a few seconds of driving, while heavy damage will not go away until you leave a race or the race is over.
 
The above is correct. Just to elaborate on damage. Light damage goes away after a few seconds of driving, while heavy damage will not go away until you leave a race or the race is over.


heavy damage will go away in a race when you enter the pits..

I hate that!! Doing a long race with heavy damage and half the field quits on the first lap after damage. JUST GO INTO THE PITS!!!!! IT WILL GO AWAY!!!💡
 
Also engine wear kicks in between 3000 and 4000 miles, I forget the exact point but you can experiment on used cars in your garage to find the threshold whereby an overhaul will restore a little power. The higher the mileage, the more power it will restore.

If a car has very high mileage, you will restore a LOT of power with an overhaul, something that is often overlooked when people assess or compare standard cars.

Body restoration is more of a grey area as there is no way to "measure" this but I just do it at the same time as an engine overhaul.
 
Allright. Thaks for answering guys. I'll write down the initial BHP of each car, and perform an e-overhaul when it has decreased significally.
 
An elabortation on the damage as well:

With heavy damage on you can ram it into as many walls as you like, won't make a difference on the overhaul cost.

As for the overhaul and as to when you should:

I only ever do if it's my favorite car or a car I use a lot. Otherwise its just wasted money as far as I'm concerned.
 
2. When should we perform the overhauls, and why?Perform an engine overhaul when an oil change won't bring it back to it's maximum horsepower anymore. This is after the breakin period of approx. 100 miles driven in-game.

Just to be clear, it's an oil change after 100 miles, not an overhaul. Overhauls are done usually only after many thousands of km's. I've heard about 5000 km. The chassis overhaul is actually more important IMHO. Most racing rooms have limited hp and/or pp, so if your car is down 5 hp from max it doesn't make any difference. But a car with 30,000 km on it, will not handle as well as it can, until you do the overhaul. Any car from the UCD with over 5000 km on it, that I intend to race, I overhaul the chassis as soon as I buy it and it does make a difference.
 
An elabortation on the damage as well:

With heavy damage on you can ram it into as many walls as you like, won't make a difference on the overhaul cost.

As for the overhaul and as to when you should:

I only ever do if it's my favorite car or a car I use a lot. Otherwise its just wasted money as far as I'm concerned.

That's your call but if the distance is high you can restore a lot of power with an overhaul. There's a Top Gear test where the guys had to buy some cheap old supercars, there was a Lamborghini Urracco, a Maserati (possibly Merak) and something else, all from the 70s. When they tested the power on a dyno it was ridiculously low. I will post a thread on here some time to give a clearer idea of how much power you can restore, it can be a LOT.

2. When should we perform the overhauls, and why?Perform an engine overhaul when an oil change won't bring it back to it's maximum horsepower anymore. This is after the breakin period of approx. 100 miles driven in-game.

Just to be clear, it's an oil change after 100 miles, not an overhaul. Overhauls are done usually only after many thousands of km's. I've heard about 5000 km.

This. An engine overhaul restores power after around 3000 miles/5000 kilometres. At those levels it perhaps isn't worthwhile, but if your car has done 50k, it really is :)
 
Tyger
That's your call but if the distance is high you can restore a lot of power with an overhaul. There's a Top Gear test where the guys had to buy some cheap old supercars, there was a Lamborghini Urracco, a Maserati (possibly Merak) and something else, all from the 70s. When they tested the power on a dyno it was ridiculously low. I will post a thread on here some time to give a clearer idea of how much power you can restore, it can be a LOT.

This. An engine overhaul restores power after around 3000 miles/5000 kilometres. At those levels it perhaps isn't worthwhile, but if your car has done 50k, it really is :)

It's a game not top gear... Minolta is 1 million in repairs after doing most b spec endurance races. Explain to me how it's money well spent when it still wins every time.

Oh and after 15000 kms it won't fully restore the car anymore.
 
Last edited:
Don't overhaul until you start losing races. Cash is at a premium.
 
Back