A few questions to get not overwelmed...PS4 

France
Nantes
P308R
Hi Guys,

There has been such a wealth of information but I can't exactly find what I am looking for so I hope a few of the experts can help me out?

1. Do I need to use setups to advance in the career? I find it rather scary with all the options that are available and I prefer to leave them alone as much as I can, specially in the beginning.

2. When starting a career, can one set damage, qualifying laps, race length, opponents and weather?

3. Am I free to start in whatever class I like in the career?

4. How do weather slots work?

5. Say for example I want to race 10 lap races, can I set according pitstop strategies for that?

6. When choosing pro within difficulty settings and I set aids to real for cars, are they applied automatically?

7. Any advice to get not overwelmed?

The GOTY addition will arrive somewhere this week or beginning next week and I tend to race mostly touringcars and GT4 cars.

Regards,
doblo

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

There has been such a wealth of information but I can't exactly find what I am looking for so I hope a few of the experts can help me out?

An expert is a has been under pressure ;-) I am no expert but I do have the Platinum Trophy on PS4 and finished every event in career.

1. Do I need to use setups to advance in the career? I find it rather scary with all the options that are available and I prefer to leave them alone as much as I can, specially in the beginning.
No

2. When starting a career, can one set damage, qualifying laps, race length, opponents and weather?
Yes, yes, yes, yes (not number only skill level) and no.

Yes.

It is very changeable in career.

5. Say for example I want to race 10 lap races, can I set according pitstop strategies for that?
Yes. On shortest, a pit stop in some events happens with 5 lap races.

6. When choosing pro within difficulty settings and I set aids to real for cars, are they applied automatically?
Yes.

If you are getting overwhelmed just wind the AI back a bit more until you can beat them.

The GOTY addition will arrive somewhere this week or beginning next week and I tend to race mostly touringcars and GT4 cars.

My favourites are GT3s so you will be pleasantly surprised with them.

BTW you do not say what platform you are using or whether you are on wheel or controller. Advice is easier to give if people know the basics.

Hi Guys,

Regards,
doblo

Not to imply that the other answers are wrong, but here's my take on your questions.

1. Overall, I would probably say no, you don't need to tune for the career. That said, it depends how you approach the game. If you are content to turn down the AI level, have them race at your speed, then you don't really need to tune. However, if your approach is to set the AI to a higher setting, and then challenge yourself to try to keep up with them, then yes, you will probably want to adjust some settings.

I too play on PS4 with a DS4, and when I started the game with the Renault Clio TC1 car, I found it nearly undrivable, and I had to start messing with settings. In hindsight, I probably needed to adjust my driving style more than anything, but that's the route I took.

2. Yes. You can mess with all those options at any time. You can change difficulty levels mid career, mid season, no problem.

3. As far as I'm aware, no. When you start a career, you have a few options as to which path you would like to take, but you can't just jump into whatever car or series you like. You must work your way up from the bottom.

You can do a single race event...so all practice sessions, qualifying, warm up, and a full race in any car or series you like, right out of the box - but specifically in career, you must follow the options available to you.

I actually haven't done too much career stuff myself, most of my time is spent online. However if memory serves, the 3 starting options for a career are to start in karting, GT5, or TC1. Keep in mind that once you chose your "path", you aren't stuck on that path for good. After a given season ends, you may get contract offers from teams in other series, other diciplines, and you can change paths as you please.

5. Yes and No. You have control over pit strategy, but it can be a little suspect at times. You have the ability to pick how much fuel you start the race with, you can chose how much to add during a pit stop, you can chose whether or not to switch tires, you can chose what compounds to switch to, and you can make adjustments to tire pressures for new tires going on the car.

When you do a race which includes a mandatory pit stop, you will get a message flash on your screen every time you start the final sector that you need to pit. However, you do not have to pit when the game tells you to (it will start telling you on lap 1). You can pit on whatever lap you like, as long as you pit before the final lap of the race.

Something to be careful of is if you are doing a career race where you have a teamate with whom you share a pit box. You will get a message telling you when the box is occupied, but it isn't always accurate. If you enter the pits while your teamate is in the box, the game will not stack you, rather it will make you just drive through the pits and you will have to re-enter the pits on the next lap.

Also, finding the balance between whether or not it's actually beneficial to run a lighter fuel load, and then add fuel in the pits (which makes the stop longer), or just putting in enough fuel to get to the finish without adding more, and therefore shortening your time in the pit box, is a rather tricky thing. Same thing on whether or not to change tires.

Like I said, I do most racing online, and most races are short sprint races (5-10 laps). However, sometimes people pit mandatory pit stops in these races to add another element, and also to help spread out the field (less bumping and banging). In these type of races, I do not change tires, and very little fuel, if any at all. The performance benefits from trying to be cunning with pit strategy do not make up for the amount of time actually doing stuff in the pits. My car enters the box, sits for 2 seconds, and I'm back on the road.

One last note about pit stops. In a race with mandatory stops, it is not necessary to make a call to the pit wall that you will be pitting. The crew is expecting you, and you can pit on any lap without consequence. However, in races without a manditory stop, but where you may still want to stop (for damage, or a lonnger race that causes enough tire wear to warrant a change), it is very recommended that you have a button assigned to be able to call for a pit stop. I haven't seen any hard facts, but just going off experience, and reading other people's experience, if you enter the pits without first calling to the pit wall, chances are you will have a slower stop, and things may go wrong ("we've lost a wheel nut, just hang on").

A sound piece of advice I was given was to get myself a cheap $25 USB keyboard so I have all the buttons I need to able to assign some of the less frequently used options, such as calling the pits, changing display information on the screen, adjusting roll bars from in the car, etc (I have brake bias adjustments right on the controller as I am trying to learn how to make multiple brake adjustments per lap).

7. Take it slow, and try to keep smiling :lol:

Here's a few resources which you may find helpful.

The pCARS tuning database:
http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/bycar
If you really struggle with a particular car, check this out. Try a few different setups and see if you can find something you like better.

If you want to learn more about how to understand tuning, and how to be a better driver, check out @dyr_gl's YouTube channel
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCGaI_TAqZN_RbD7FLyNGThg
Full of incredible useful info, great presentation, and some good baseline setups as well.

Finally, know that pCARS does a pretty good job of punishing bad habits. You can't throw the cars around like you can in Forza or Gran Turismo. You have to be very patient and smooth with your technique compared to those other games.

@twitcher Thanks for the very derailed answer 👍 I have found out quiet a few things and I seem to get it going rather well. You also talk about fuelload as your fellow pcars racedrivers but I simply can't find where to change the fuellevel. Can you enlighten me :D?

@twitcher Thanks for the very derailed answer 👍 I have found out quiet a few things and I seem to get it going rather well. You also talk about fuelload as your fellow pcars racedrivers but I simply can't find where to change the fuellevel. Can you enlighten me :D?
There are two places you need to look to adjust fuel strategy for a race.

First, to set the amount of fuel to start a race with, you need to go to the Edit Setup screen. This can be accessed one of two ways.

1, you can press R1 on the main home screen, which gives you access to the My Garage. Enter My Garage, select the car you would like to make adjustments to, and then click on Edit Setup.

2, or, you can enter Edit Setup directly from the main Race Menu. This is the menu you see once you have loaded into an actual race or free practice session. It is the 3rd option from the top.

Upon entering Edit Setup, you will be on the first setup tab (tire pressures, brake bias and pressure, TCS). From here, press L2 one time, which cycles you to the fuel tab. Here, you will see two sliders, Race Fuel, and Qualifying Fuel. Race Fuel is the amount of fuel you will start the race with, as well as how much fuel will be in the car for a practice session. Qualifying Fuel is how much fuel will be put in the car for a qualifying run.

Now, to Edit Pit Strategy, go back to the main race menu, and go one below Edit Setup. First time you go on here, you will have to create a new strategy. After creating one, you get to the strategy screen.

Here, you will see a slider for fuel, where you can set how much fuel will be added during a stop, and you can see how long that amount of fuel will take to put on board.

Below the fuel, you can select whether or not to change tires, which conpounds to change to, and the individual pressures for each tire.

Edit: coulle other notes.

Once you have created multiple strategies, before every race, you must go into the edit strategy menu, and click triangle on the strategy you wish to use. The game will always select the top strategy by default.

Also, you can switch strategies mid race, or even edit a strategy mid race. When you enter the pits, a small menu pops up allowing you to do so. Be aware though, if you havent pressed "close" by the time you hit your pit box, you will lose time in the pits.

Great info once again 👍 Thank you @twitcher :cheers:
My pleasure :)

Not to overwhelm you, but a couple more points about fuel that I thought of.

When you are setting the amounts of fuel, either the Race Fuel, or the amount to be added during a stop, the game gives you a rough approximation of how many laps the fuel will last for. BE CAREFUL!!! This approximation is very rough, and not very accurate.

It varies from car to car, but I have been caught out several times by trying to run the tank nearly dry. I now play it safe and make sure I have about 2 laps of extra fuel on board. Again, I've found the benefits of running a nearly empty tank to be minuscule, and not worth the heart ache of potentially running out of fuel on the last lap.

For turbo cars, the more you turn up the boost, the more inaccurate this approximation is.

Brake Mapping, while "broken" on the game - meaning it doesn't provide the handling changes it says it should - I believe it still consumes the excess fuel. Higher brake mapping consumes more fuel.

Driving style plays a role too. Banging off the limiter while downshifting doesn't negatively effect handling the way it should, but it will burn up more fuel. Likewise, holding gears at the redline before shifting for extended periods will also burn more fuel.

I have monkeyed around with Lift & Coast techniques, and they do actually work in this game. I've saved myself a couple races where I realised early enough that I was going to be short on fuel by short shifting, and then using Lift & Coast when approaching corners.

3. When you start a career, you have a few options as to which path you would like to take, but you can't just jump into whatever car or series you like. You must work your way up from the bottom.

I actually haven't done too much career stuff myself, most of my time is spent online. However if memory serves, the 3 starting options for a career are to start in karting, GT5, or TC1.
This is incorrect.
When starting career you can choose any class you want in any tier. You don't have to start at the bottom, you can start in a top class like FA or LMP1 if you want to. I've tested this myself when creating my career event list.
However there's a trophy that requires you to start in karts and work your way to LMP1, afaik if you start career in a mid/high tier class you cannot move to one of the lower classes, and certain invitationals are tied to certain events, so if you start in a higher tier you may not be able to unlock certain invitationals.

FS7
This is incorrect.
When starting career you can choose any class you want in any tier.

That is correct.

FS7
You don't have to start at the bottom, you can start in a top class like FA or LMP1 if you want to. I've tested this myself when creating my career event list.

Also Correct

FS7
However there's a trophy that requires you to start in karts and work your way to LMP1, afaik if you start career in a mid/high tier class you cannot move to one of the lower classes, and certain invitationals are tied to certain events, so if you start in a higher tier you may not be able to unlock certain invitationals.

This is incorrect. As you work you way through, no matter where you start, you eventually end up being given the option to do all the events. I know, I hated doing the cart events :-( I started in the middle tier, doing the GT cars and I still unlocked everything and got my platinum. Did I mention I hate go karts?

FS7
I didn't like kart one but I loved superkart, it's one of the best classes in the game imo. Very fast, very grippy.

Sorry, I forgot it's Project KARTS :-) Did I mention I also hate peppermint ice cream ;-)

To get the 'Zero to Hero' achievement you have to start in Tier 8 (Karts) and win the LMP1 championship within 10 seasons.

Back