A few questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter deadman_uk
  • 7 comments
  • 645 views
Messages
6
I am new here but I really like Gran Turismo 4. I played the 1st and 2nd but didnt really enter the tuning screen too much as I dont understand it.

I have a few guides which I will read later to do with the different parts you can buy for your car but I would like to know the following things...

1) What is traction control?, what does it do? and how do I turn it on and off for each car?

2) What is TCS? what does it do? and how do I turn it on and off for each car?

3) What is ASM? what does it do? and how do I turn it on and off for each car?

Forgive me if I sound like a noob, my younger brother has GT4 (who lives with my dad) and I sometimes go round there to visit them. When I do, we play GT4 and I have a Half tuned Dodge Viper GTS '99, a TVR 350c '03 and a Ford GT '05 so I am trying to learn this tuning business.

Thanks for any help :)
 
TCS is your Traction Control.

Traction Control System.
It pretty much keeps the car from sliding back and forth to my knowledge.
 
ASM is your Auto Stability Managetment, and it help to stablize ur car during cornering.
 
The TCS is Traction Control - it stops the wheel from spinning in cars with lots of power.

The ASM (Auto Stability Management) has two settings, one for oversteer and one for understeer. Oversteer is when the rear of the car gets loose as you go around a corner, understeer is when the car seems to go straight ahead when your turning. When the ASM is on, the car will apply brakes automatically to stop oversteer or understeer from occuring. This will vastly effect the way your car handles on the track. I think you'll find that it can often be nicer to race with the ASM off.

Both the TCS and ASM can be adjusted to various levels in the setup screen, just before a race. (This is in GT Simulation mode). In Arcade mode it can just be turned on and off when you select your car.

Most of the beginning cars don't need either TCs or ASM, but as your crs get faster (like your tuned Viper) you might find the TCS necessary to stop your tyres from turining into smoke.

Hope this clears it up for you?

Welcome to GTP, and enjoy your GT4. :)
 
Thanks for the replies, I understand now but I will need to play around with the settings the next time I go round my dads house.

In a guide I was reading for a Viper, it said this

brakes 10/10
springs 7.0/7.0
height 98/138
bound 7/7
rebound 8/8
camber 2.8/1.7
stabilizer 5/5
asm/o 0
asm/u 0
tcs 3
downforce 30/30
lsd 10/40/20

Ballast
-Weight: 0
-Location:0

Could someone explain for example what 10/10 means with the brakes? 10/10 what? what does 10 mean? the maximum setting for something.

What does height mean? bound and rebound? camber? lsd? ballast?

If someone could explain those, that would be great.
 
deadman_uk
...Could someone explain for example what 10/10 means with the brakes? 10/10 what? what does 10 mean? the maximum setting for something.

What does height mean? bound and rebound? camber? lsd? ballast?...

Sounds like you haven't really gotten into the Settings feature yet. To set up a car completely you have to have the fully customizable suspension, transmission, brake controller, and limited slip differential. All the race cars already have them, but you have to buy them for production cars.

In case you don't know, there are two ways to access the Settings screen: Before you enter a race, you'll be at a screen with a row of icons across the bottom. Click on the red toolbox. The other way is to press the Start button on your controller when you are in the main garage screen, showing the car you have "gotten in to" sitting in its garage. That takes you to the same settings screen.

(Note in the settings window that you can select and de-select the features you bought. You can opt to not use them at all if you like, but they're still there if you want to use them later.)

As for your questions, most are answered here:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56645

...and here:

http://www.gtvault.com/gt4/kb/?PHPSESSID=b488e94020bae7bc04b4d5671feb11c5

In the future, post tuning queries in the "Tuning and Settings" forum, and you'll get lots of responses.
 
Thanks, the links really help to explain stuff I didnt know.

I will print out those links as well as some other stuff ive found today. I got 80 pages of GT4 related text to print and read. Wish me luck 👍

Thanks for the help btw :)
 
deadman_uk
Could someone explain for example what 10/10 means with the brakes? 10/10 what? what does 10 mean? the maximum setting for something.

What does height mean? bound and rebound? camber? lsd? ballast?
10/10 is front and rear. 10 on the front, 10 on the rear. This pattern is continued for all settings. front/rear

As for the other terms, depending on how much detail you want, this could take up a lot of space.

Do a Google search for in depth answers for each term, but here's a quick rundown -

Height: the height of your car above the ground (ride height)
Bound: the rating on the part of the shock absorber that resists the pressure forcing it to contract
Re-bound: the rating on the part of the shock absorber that resists the pressure forcing it to expand (I told you it can get very technical...)
Camber: the angle of your wheel in relation to the ground, or the vertical tilt of the wheel. Nothing to do with steering angle!
LSD: Limited Slip Differential (another one with very complex explainations...)
Ballast: extra weight added to the car - varying the postion of the extra weight can affect the car's handling.

This thread will most likely be moved to the tuning section, and you'll get plenty of help there. Also using a performing a search limiting results to the tuning forum will answer these and any more questions you may have.

Hope I helped. :)
 
Back