A functional approach to expanding the roster of certain marques in GTS.

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 0 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
This is either for GTS, or a future title. Now, what I am trying to say with the title, is that this isn't a wishlist. Instead, I really like GTS' brand central approach towards the dealerships, with the museums and channels, plus notable scapes. And as a result, I have listed a few marques that are either in GTS, will eventually come to the series as a whole via the VGT program, or will expand upon previously referenced labels.

Let's begin with that first group, being the labels already listed in Brand Central.

Zagato has its respective VGT, and has otherwise seems to have almost entirely done contract work for other automakers. I could list all the cars that were designed by this group (and indeed, the other groups), but that would be getting too close to making a wishlist, no? But unfortunately for Zagato, I cannot find any cars that would be listed under them, as opposed to another automaker they had contract work with. Perhaps instead, those contracted models could be available through Zagato as well as the automaker they worked with. So, for example, an Aston Martin V12 Zagato could be bought through Zagato, or through Aston Martin. Or, there could be an option to "tag" cars designed by them, sort of like a ctrl+f among the cars in the game. (This could work with other constructors, too, like Dallara and the KTM X-Bow, or the Super Formula cars if the remain under their own label.)

Fittipaldi Motors already has the car that was previously known as the Pininfarina VGT, but this could also eventually include the production-spec version of the EF7. That aside, it also could include one of his older F1 or IndyCars, as well.

Dallara
could have one of their IndyCar models included, but that's not the biggest thing I had in mind. I think it'd be a far much more efficient use of licensing fees to get their road car, the Stradale. Specifically, the model in the game could be the one with the closed-top and (otherwise optional IRL) rear wing.

Pininfarina could work very similarly to what I've mentioned before, with a "tag" function for various cars, but could also include the upcoming Battista, eventually.

I feel that these designers have a lot of very pretty cars in their histories, but I feel that in the name of trying to keep things neat and tidy, I personally think that there ought to be more criteria to what cars get picked over just looking good. A multi-function approach, so to say, in that the car may have also had historical value, or within motorsport, or all of 'em. For examples involving Pininfarina, examples would include the Lancia Beta Montecarlo Coupe and 037 Stradale (both being closely related to the famed 037 rally car), and the Fiat 124 Sport Spyder (being the subject of a recently-revived model).

On top of this, I also had some notes regarding the UI design for the dealership in the future. I think that a lot of it depends on how many cars are in the game overall, as it may make some of these concepts of mine either unnecessary, or very helpful for improving UX. First-off, I think instead of reviving the tuner village from GT4, each tuner could be added to Brand Central (or its successor), and especially since some of these tuners are based in nations that are seldom-represented otherwise, such as Canada having HPA Motorsports. This could apply to the Jay Leno cars, the Senna cars, and so on, complete with relevant video content potentially from previous GT games. (Mostly referring to the Senna cars and GT6.)

However, for both previous and historic in-house tuners (e.g. Toyota and TRD & GR), it feels like a lot of them could remain alongside the more typical models, instead of being given their own page. We can sort of already see this in GTS, with the Peugeot Sport-tuned 208, as well as the Toyota 86 GRMN, plus the GR Supra Racing Concept. However, if it's not 100% in-house, while also having their own models like we can see for TOM'S or TommyKaira, then that brand would be deserving of having its own page, much like the SEMA winners did in GT6.

With this in mind, I can think of a few ways to avoid clutter within the dealerships menu(s). One would to have three tabs instead of the two for "showroom" and "VGT" that we see in GTS. These three tabs would be for production cars, concepts, and race cars. The idea would be that most, if not all of the cars in the first group would be cars in the N-series, the cars in the second group largely being in Gr.X, and the final group being in the "staple" groups, such as Gr.3, Gr.4, and so on. The racing tab would also include racing concepts like the GR Supra Racing Concept that's in Gr.3, and Gr.X cars if they're for one-make races, such as a formula car, or the Daihatsu RJ VGT. In a future GT game, I cannot see the VGT tab having enough content to warrant its own tab, unless the automakers that've already entered somehow decide to "double-dip." So, instead of having their own tab, the VGTs (at least, the non-racing models) could go in the concept tab, but still have the additional stylized "VGT" text that we see on the left when selecting them in the menus.

The other idea was by reviving the RM system. For a car like the Ferrari 458 GT3, you'd still have to buy it directly from the dealership. But for the made-for-game cars, you could take the base car, (or Gr.3/Gr.B Road Car for those respective Gr.3/Gr.B racers) and use the RM mechanic to turn it into a formal race car from the "staple" groups. This way, the resulting cars are not buyable from the dealer, making them a neat surprise to players, and also allowing players to take "their" car and turn it into a proper race car that complies with rules. And, it removes the resulting race cars from the dealerships, which potentially can really help cut down the clutter. You'd still be able to buy the made-for-game "homologation" models, from the Gran Turismo brand. (Another note: I think a lot of the RM and Touring Cars from GT5 could return largely as Gr.4 models, and the same could very well apply to a decent amount of the GT3 race cars that were original to that game.)

@Alpha Cipher, @Sven Jurgens, @Famine - let me know what you all think of this.

Last edited:
Back