A game that changed my life

Poland
Poland
Hi all.

This is my first post on the forum. I found out that this is great place with amazing community, seven years after buying my copy of GT4, and the first GT game I've ever played.
Yes, seven years.
Im from 1999. I was growing up, playing with my father on the brand new PS2 (which is still working, after twelve years). We were playing a bunch of racing games, like Colin McRae Rally, WRC, Burnout, Need For Speed or even "pain in the ass" Stuntman. Amazing times, when I was little and having no knowledge about cars at all..
And then, I saw Gran Turismo.
I was maybe 9 or 10 years old, when I firstly meet something called "Gran Turismo". It took me almost one hour to beg her, because this **** was seriously expensive at the time, but after all I succeed. Gone back home, entered the disk and switched the power to ON. My father was sitting on the right and we were watching the most amazing intro I've ever saw. I remember that I got goose bumps when I heard these.. sounds, composed with travelling leaves (later I found out that was something like reference to the first Gran Turismo intro). Then.. Ford GT slowly appeared on the screen, and the choir started singing vocal version of "Moon over the castle". I was gone. I just went into another dimension. I've never thought that car game can be MORE amazing. "The Drive of your life" appeared, and the "Reason is treason" kicked in.. like VTEC. At this moment I understood, that my life is not going to be the same.
7sPBetR.jpg

qMdxIuS.jpg

g1gO6sb.jpg

cKtWbhp.jpg

iOr607T.jpg

I was watching Initial D at the time, and my first car was.. obviously, panda colored Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX AE86. Learning how to drive, drift, overtake and WINNING SOMETHING was a nightmare, because I was starting learning about g-forces, tire wearing, fuel consumption and by far, realistic driving. I've passed B and A licenses and went for serious racing.. After two days I bought Toyota Celica GT-Four, won Cadillac Cien, won Toyota RSC Rally Raid Car, sold it and had enough money to buy every car that I saw on Initial D.. almost. Then I saw an odd Opel Omega. In Poland, Opel Omega is very common car, and I wasn't interested in it at all. But wait.. more than 300hp? And why it is called Lotus Carlton? Something is wrong with that car.. Ofc, bought it and went for a drive. Black, fast, mighty.. simple, hard to drive, Lotus. Switched off all of the driving aids and started European events. All I remember was a.. ehem. Lots Of Troubles, Usually Serious.
I cant tell you how much this game changed my life, because I became more than a car guy.. I've started to perceive the cars from the opposite point. Not by power or some stupid "because cool", but by.. emotions. Emotions and the amount of smile on my face. Thats why I loved driving in my little, boxy, black Fiat Panda. Little amount of power and grip.. but driving on the edge of tire capabilities and overtaking more powered cars was such a great fun. Thats why I love under-powered cars, like today Toyota GT86, or Mazda MX-5. Its no matter how powerful they are, but how you can drive them..
I've started learning about history of motorsport. Instantly became rallying fan, learned about the mechanics of driving and found out, that Ayrton Senna was the best F1 driver in the world. I was growing up watching Top Gear and those three idiots, driving cars and having fun.. Drive a car and have fun. How simply and beautiful is that?
After maybe three years i've passed iB and iA licenses and went for GT World Championship. Yes! Already! I was on the grid with my Toyota Minolta, against the other Group C legends. Nissan R92CP became my greatest opponent, because we were fighting for the 1st place almost all the time. We were switching places. He was first on the Grand Valley, I was first in the Hong Kong.. and again, and again.. And then, last race appeared. Circuit de la Sarthe.. Le Mans. The same amount of points and only four laps to go. Instantly, Hans Zimmer started playing in my head, when we were fighting for the lead.. again. Last lap was like in the hollywood movie. Staying in the aero tunnel and trying to keep up. I've managed to overtake him on the two final corners, stay on the track with destroyed tires and.. spin out JUST BEFORE the finish line, on the final straight.. I've immediately put in reverse and the tires started to burnout, but I was speeding up. I saw him on the final corner with the amazing speed. He was just one foot after my car.. And I crossed the line just before him.
Just.
Before.
Him.
wcqic1g.png

4tTysUY.jpg

hjnRFr8.jpg

nHwLuRX.jpg

I won, I won, I won.. I was repeating this in my head all the time.
I sat down in my armchair and dropped the pad, watching total of points and replay.. And I couldn't say anything.
Then, Ford GT appeared on the screen.. like three years earlier. A car, that changed me.
I took it for a spin on the Nurburgring, played "Last note of freedom" from "Days of Thunder" and drive. I did a lap in 20 minutes..
Why?
Because I started to cry in the middle of the lap.
Those little emotional things.. Invisible ninjas cutting onions, make us truly another persons. Im sure of it.
At the same night i watched "Thunderbolt". Very cheesy movie with Jackie Chan and the greatest touring cars from the greatest 90s era. And you know what? Final race finished almost exactly like mine. I was shocked, but laughed my ass off.
I could say more about amazing actions that I performed in GT4, but that I guess no one gonna read something, that is too long.

For this year Im planning to finish Le Mans 24Hrs II with my Audi R8 LM Race Car. The only race that left in Gran Turismo mode. (Fun fact. I won 24Hrs 1 with Mazda 787B, and after the race it had.. exactly 787HP) .. And that, that would be everything. Finish of my GT4 carer and ending of my childhood, because Im hitting 18 in June, and receiving my driving license.. And I'm probably let the game die. Awareness of this gave me sad emotions, because my childhood dream is becoming true. Im going to get my first car, get a racing license and probably start competing in racing events in my country.. And my childhood is ending. It will be the end, Im becoming elder. Something that I thought is far, far away.. now is becoming true. Majority. Sometimes I think I am the most emotional man.. in the world.
And all that.. only by one game.
Today I took my first car for a spin ride, to remember the first day of the rest of my life. Panda colored Sprinter Trueno AE86, drifted through the corners of Deep Forest against Honda S2000, Subaru Impreza WRX STi GC, Honda Civic EG6, Toyota Celica GT-FOUR, Sil80.. and Mazda RX-7 FD (NANI? HACHIROKU?!.. MASAKA!!! *moments later..* KANSEI DORIFTO?!). Still great fun to drive with only 160hp under the bonnet.

Thats all. I've just wanted to share my emotions with.. for me, one of the best communities in the Internet. If you read all of these, I wanted to thank you and sorry for my lacks in English, because I'm still learning this mighty language. (English, Français, Italiano! Its me, Mario!).

Have a great day!

7t9DGrJ.jpg

Suzuka
JGTC Final race
Final Lap

Congratulations in advance for your upcoming license.

GT3 and GT4 got me through an interesting period in my life.

They helped shape my eventual career choice... as they did for many on this board.

And I do believe they made me a better driver when I finally got on track. (Remember, however, that you have so much left to learn!)

Thanks for the story. If you're looking for similar passion, there's lots of it here. ;)

Amazing story indeed, I wish I hadn't raced with OP cars during my first playthrough, as it really took a lot away from the first time emotions. As for Senna being the best F1 driver in history, that is huge room for debate, but this is not the time nor the place :)

Well. Tomorrow im hitting 18. Also my driving license is on the way. I'm doing pretty well at the wheel.. I think. I was driving old and rusted Peugeot 205 on the country road several days ago. Flat ground, trees,fences,barriers.exe not found. Just a few corners and maybe one uphill section, where I managed to jump in the 205. That was my very first contact with qucik driving. Tbh, 205 wasn't even GT. That was 3-door GL.. But anyway, McRae kicked in yo. My first left foot braking attempt was catastrophic..

Nevermind.

24 Hrs of La Sarthe is done. Game completed. 7 years passed like a day. 7 years of rages, emotions.. 7 years of pure passion and romance. So many cars driven to the victory, so many left memories on the race tracks,..

Gran Turismo is the place, where all petrolheads were born. I know. Forza and others.. But, Gran Turismo IS the thing. This is the true, last bastion of speed and glory.

This is where it all begins.
And here, here is my ending.

Thank you, Polyphony.

What an amazing story to read! I loved that race finish! GT4 was really huge for me as well. The first day I've played it I couldn't sleep at night because I was so excited about that game! Too bad I was a dumb lazy kid who was winning everything he could on B-Spec mode with cars tuned to the max, where's a fun in that? I also just can't believe how freakin ahead of it's time Gran Turismo 2 was. Over 500 cars in PSX era? Gosh, games at the time had like 20 cars at best. BTW. I love Initial D as well. Started watching it with my good friend this year and we're currently in Forth Stage. This anime made me fall in love with Hachiroku too. Such a cool car.

Latest Posts

Back