A good first bike

United States
Houston, TX
FireLite MS9600
need help on it. I know I made a thread either here or on the ITR forums, but I need some help gathering info on what a good first bike should be. as long as it's not a Vespa, I should be fine with it.

basically, just a few things that I do want:

-Good gas mileage
-decent handling
-decent looks
-in the price range around $10K (more or less)
-nothing ridiculous like a Hayabusa

GS500 is an incredible first bike. Not a radical position so it's comfortable, it's strong enough to be fun but not stupid powerful, and pretty nimble. Cheap as dirt compared to a lot of others out there, too.

I need a suggestion too. I really want a street bike, but for less than $3000 USD. And it cant be any bigger than 700cc, since my parents would say "Thats too fast"

My current bike was my first.. well other than a 50 and 125. It's a 92' zxr400. Cheap as chips, will out handle some 1000's and is no slouch either. Dyno'd mine when I got it, puts out 71bhp.

need help on it. I know I made a thread either here or on the ITR forums, but I need some help gathering info on what a good first bike should be. as long as it's not a Vespa, I should be fine with it.

-Good gas mileage
-decent handling
-decent looks

Kawasaki ER-6n [6700$]

metallic-diablo-black-330.jpg

or

ER6F/ Ninja 650R (if you want it for city & highways) [7200$]

2011-Kawasaki-Ninja650Rc-small-532x400.jpg

2011_3_206663_twotonecandyburntoraangeflatsuperblack.jpg

Depending on your frame, I'd say one of the following would be a good choice due to availability, price, and parts availability:

Ninja 250R (A Hayabusa rider rode one for 700 miles [ ride report: http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1145 ] and he fell in love with the flippin' thing - every time I read the article I kinda get an itch for one)
KLR 250
KLX250S/KLX250SF
Hyosung GT250
Hyosung GT250R
Hyosung GV250
Yamaha WR250
Rebel 250
Eliminator 125
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki GZ250
Suzuki TU250
Honda CBR250

And so forth. I'd also strongly suggest buying used. If this will be your first bike, you've got to realize that it will get dinged up, scraped up, and scratched up during normal use, and there's a good chance that at some point it will find itself on its side, one way or another. Even riders with a great deal of time and experience still end up dropping their motorcycles, and only a very few riders ever go without some kind of accident.

And, ultimately, if you get too much power too soon, it may not turn out so well:
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/what-i-learned-today/83157-wear-your-gear.html

Now, mind you, that was my fault, a lack of experience on my part at the time. I had less than a year's worth of riding experience and busted up a then-brand new Kawasaki Versys (I saw the thing when it was still in the crate, before I bought it!). I thought I had the experience - no, I knew I had the experience to ride it right. The first 928 miles I rode it were from the dealership I bought it at, in New Jersey, to where I was living in Alabama. I had put over 4,000 miles on the thing in the 3 months I rode it before the crash, I had logged a couple of 200-mile (round-trip) road trips and made several trips with a passenger, so of course I had the experience I needed to avoid an accident.

Wrong.

You can tell by the pictures that my complacency and overconfidence not only got myself busted up; I had the unfortunate outcome of causing someone else injury. The only positive thing about it all is that both my passenger and I were wearing full gear, which saved us from everything except her bruised knee and my broken arm.

All that said, unless you're a deity of the throttle, I would seriously consider buying something in the 250cc range as a good first motorcycle. They're usually fairly cheap; they're lightweight, which makes them manageable and, therefore, confidence building; they're economical, returning fuel economy anywhere from 62 mpg (which is what I saw on the KLR 250) to 85+ mpg (which most Honda Rebel owners report). If you want to run on the slab, the Ninja 250 is supposed to run 80+ mph no sweat, same goes for the CBR250.

If you have other questions, this article might help:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11866

-Good gas mileage
-decent handling
-decent looks

Ask the people who ride sportbikes, they will help you the link is below.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/new-rider-forums/354478-want-600-read.html

"I'm a REAL big guy so I need a big bike.
Real question here is height, not wieght. Unless you're in excess of 300lbs, its not that big of a deal when starting out. Now if you're over 6'2", comfort could be an issue. But there are cruiser bikes that you could learn on that would fit you better until you're ready to move up to the SS. There are always alternatives.

"250/500's are just not powerful enough" or "I'll get bored with it in a year"
A Ninja 250 with a 170lbs rider and full tank of gas will run a 14 flat 1/4 mile and has a sub-6 0-60 and a top speed of 120mph. 500's are even faster. If you you are buying a motorcycle with the sole interest of going faster than that, you shouldn't be on a motorcycle at all. Also, ask any EXPERIENCED rider, (read; years experience) how long it took them to be considered a "Good" rider. The answer is more than a year nearly every time. That first year is crucial to developing your skills, not seeing how hard you can ride."

Last edited:
I need a suggestion too. I really want a street bike, but for less than $3000 USD. And it cant be any bigger than 700cc, since my parents would say "Thats too fast"

Probably pretty late, but this struck me as funny... anything over 250cc should tweak the "That's too fast" button with most parents. Hell, your typical 400cc is as quick off the line as a powerful sportscar, whereas 600ccs are pushing on supercar territory, already...

Personally, 250cc is the perfect size for a starter bike. And probably all the bike you will ever need... at least for the first few years of motoring...

CBR 250 RR is a 250 that goes like a bat out of hell and revs to 19,000 I think
will out perform a lot of bigger bikes

Probably pretty late, but this struck me as funny... anything over 250cc should tweak the "That's too fast" button with most parents. Hell, your typical 400cc is as quick off the line as a powerful sportscar, whereas 600ccs are pushing on supercar territory, already...

Personally, 250cc is the perfect size for a starter bike. And probably all the bike you will ever need... at least for the first few years of motoring...

Alright, fair enough. Now, im 6' 4". What sort of bike would actually fit me?

Motards generally have high ground clearance and a high seat... good for a tall rider.

Downside is they typically have shorter gearing for off-roading, which makes them less suited for highway riding.

Luckily the places I commute to dont have a speed limit of more than 55, So I think I'll be alright. Any other ideas? Something more road-friendly ?

You could get a Honda CFR230M or a Suzuki DR-Z400M.
The Honda should be able to get close to 100MPG but the 400 would be more fun.

Feral Pigeon

-Good gas mileage
-decent handling
-decent looks

My first bike was a 2003 Honda CMX250c rebel. Was a really fun bike to learn on. It's fairly low and almost impossible to drop if your sitting on it with your feet down. Gas mileage of a 250 is great of course. Only drawback I can think of is it's relatively low weight and power. Highway riding at or above 55mph is possible, but not comfortable. You really feel the wind on that bike and can almost feel like it will blow you over. Good example is an 18 wheeler blowing by you in the opposite lane at 60mph. Other than that it was fun on regular roads. Honda Nighthawk 250 is another recommendation. Start with something small all I gotta say.

Back