A good place to buy a starter bass/amplifier from?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter G.T
  • 7 comments
  • 1,485 views

G.T

Messages
11,462
United Kingdom
U.K
Messages
Paganisterr
Messages
Ak Paganister
Does anyone recommend a good place to buy a starter bass/amp from?

I'm probably going to buy a used set to save cost, but according to a friend who's played for many years a used one will likely end up being better than a new one because it feels better.

Also any recommendations as to what bass would be best suited? I'm more into the rock-sounding tone.

Thanks!
 
i recommend to buy amplifier in us because in USA has many big malls and companies it helps you can easily search amplifier in different range and models .

All the best !
 
It'd probably be pretty expensive to ship from the USA to the UK. Also, I'm pretty sure they have shopping malls and music stores over there too.
 
I would think most of the music stores have starter packs for pretty cheap. I know over here, a starter pack with a beginner bass and amp would be less than $300 USD. You can alwaays hit up eBay if you want to save big. But beware, buying guitars on eBay is seriously risky business. The site is flooded with fakes from China. So I would take extreme caution in that department.
 
In the UK, I have no idea.
You can look at Musician's friend, and see if they have any overseas (local to you) warehouses.
Same with guitar center.
 
Start out with a cheap starter pack and only upgrade into better gear when you're committed to it. Guitars cost lots of money, and it'll be a waste if you buy serious gear to only play on it for 5 minutes per week.
 
Start out with a cheap starter pack and only upgrade into better gear when you're committed to it. Guitars cost lots of money, and it'll be a waste if you buy serious gear to only play on it for 5 minutes per week.
I agree with that assessment, to a point.
If you are truly committed to learning to play the bass, do your research.
Find out what basses are loved by players of all skill levels.

Go out and play some high-end instruments so you can get a feel for what they feel like, and sound like.
Then, figure out what you can afford, and buy the absolute best instrument in that price range. When you go to actually buy the instrument, take a player that you know and trust with you. He or she can try out the instrument, and give you a player's opinion on the axe you choose.

I'm here to tell you from personal experience, I was so determined to re-learn how to play guitar, that I picked the first pretty one that caught my eye. It was a $200 Gremlin acoustic.
Let me tell you it was aptly named.
It wouldn't stay in tune, It had a sky-high action. And it fostered some bad habits that I STILL struggle with 15 years after I traded it for the Alvarez 5013 guitar that I have now.

If I had done my research, I likely would have ended up with a Washburn D-10, or some variant of Alvarez acoustic in the same price range, but a lot better quality.

Nowdays, it's possible to get a good quality instrument fairly inexpensively. You just need to know what the best options are.

Good luck in your search.
 
Back