A graphics card nr 2?

• Thread starter Phoenix
  • 12 comments

Phoenix

Premium
Norway
Norway
Question first... Is it hard to get running? Like not mount it in the PC, I think I can handle that. But install it on the pc?

Now, I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5, on a ASUS Sabertooth X79, Socket-2011 motherboard and I am wondering is it hard to get it right?

Is it worth getting? The price is not an issue.

I've heard that some games does not support 2 x graphics card. Is this true?

Reason why I want it is because with the new insane sim racers coming out soon, and my single 7970 isn't capable of handle Project CARS on max with more than 15 FPS and that's with only 6 cars on the track at the same time.

I reckon 950W isn't enough to drive both cards, so I would need an upgrade there aswell... Should it be 1200W? 1250W?

Any other pros and cons for getting a number 2 graphics card?

Edit:

Specs:

Cooler Master HAF X Big Tower
Chieftec Nitro Series BPS-950C 950W PSU
Intel® Core i7-3820 Processor
Corsair H80 Hydro Series, CPU Watercooler(?)
ASUS Sabertooth X79, Socket-2011
2 x Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9, so 16GB total
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5
OCZ SSD Agility 3 Series 2.5" 240GB
Seagate Barracuda® 1TB HDD
Blu-Ray/DVD reader
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Monitor:

BenQ 24" LED XL2420T 120hz with DVI cable

I think that's about it.

Last edited:
Your 7970 should be able to max out just about anything unless you are running triple screens or have a really high resolution monitor. As for project cars, it's not even in Beta yet and will get much easier to run. It doesn't even support 2 graphics cards yet. If you are having troubles on other games runnng really high settings then something else is wron with your PC.

What are your exact computer specs and case? Without knowing that no one can tell you if your motherboard or case can support another video card.

What does nr 2 mean in your title?

Your 7970 should be able to max out just about anything unless you are running triple screens or have a really high resolution monitor. As for project cars, it's not even in Beta yet and will get much easier to run. It doesn't even support 2 graphics cards yet. If you are having troubles on other games runnng really high settings then something else is wron with your PC.

What are your exact computer specs and case? Without knowing that no one can tell you if your motherboard or case can support another video card.
It's pretty much running everything on ultra/max now.

I run Battlefield 3 on 120 FPS with everything on ultra.

I'll get the specs in a sec.

What does nr 2 mean in your title?
Number 2. :sly:

It's pretty much running everything on ultra/max now.

I run Battlefield 3 on 120 FPS with everything on ultra.

I'll get the specs in a sec.

Number 2. :sly:

Then why do you need another card if you are maxing out everything?

Like I said before you can't use PCARS as a benchmark. It's still a long ways away from being a finished game. By the time PCARS is done there will be a new line of graphics cards out that will be close to the performace of 2 7970s. If you're wanting to max PCARS then wait for it to release and then by the top card on the market.

There are problems that come with running 2 cards. I use 2 gtx670s and if the titan card would have been out when I bought them I would have bought it instead so that I wouldn't have had to use 2 cards.

Some games do not like SLI or crossfire and take tweaking to get them to run right, and then there are still sometimes problems. I would have stayed with a single 670 if i didn't use triple screens.

If you are on a single screen there is really no point in going with 2 7970s unless you have a super high resolution monitor.
What resolution is your monitor?

Then why do you need another card if you are maxing out everything?

Like I said before you can't use PCARS as a benchmark. It's still a long ways away from being a finished game. By the time PCARS is done there will be a new line of graphics cards out that will be close to the performace of 2 7970s. If you're wanting to max PCARS then wait for it to release and then by the top card on the market.

There are problems that come with running 2 cards. I use 2 gtx670s and if the titan card would have been out when I bought them I would have bought it instead so that I wouldn't have had to use 2 cards.

Some games do not like SLI or crossfire and take tweaking to get them to run right, and then there are still sometimes problems. I would have stayed with a single 670 if i didn't use triple screens.

If you are on a single screen there is really no point in going with 2 7970s unless you have a super high resolution monitor.
What resolution is your monitor?

Hmm... I guess im just being picky and want over-the-top performance. :D
I knew i've heard somewhere that having 2 cards could cause trouble.

The monitor comes with full HD 1920 x 1080 as standard resolution.

950 watts will be enough to run 2 7970s.
Really? Well that's good news. :dopey:

If you run vsync you probably won't see and performace gain with that monitor going with 2 7970s unless it's a 120hz monitor. If you don't run vsync you will see higher FPS but you will only be able to tell the difference by monitoring them. You won't actually be able to see it in the game.

With a single 1080p monitor you will run into more problems running of those cards then the benefit would be worth. That is just my opinion though.

If you have the money to blow on another card for no real reson you should just go ahead and get the card and 2 more of the exact same monitors and go triple screens. it makes racing games so much better.

Do you already have a high end wheel and pedals? That would be a much better investment for racing then just putting another 7970 in your PC on a singel 1080p monitor.

Or maybe get some buttkickers and simvibe and add that to your setup.

If you run vsync you probably won't see and performace gain with that monitor going with 2 7970s unless it's a 120hz monitor. If you don't run vsync you will see higher FPS but you will only be able to tell the difference by monitoring them. You won't actually be able to see it in the game.

With a single 1080p monitor you will run into more problems running of those cards then the benefit would be worth. That is just my opinion though.

If you have the money to blow on another card for no real reson you should just go ahead and get the card and 2 more of the exact same monitors and go triple screens. it makes racing games so much better.

Do you already have a high end wheel and pedals? That would be a much better investment for racing then just putting another 7970 in your PC on a singel 1080p monitor.

Or maybe get some buttkickers and simvibe and add that to your setup.
Got a G27, and thats good enough for me. Got a decent surround system aswell.

I'd love to go triple screen, but I don't have the space for that. And I really don't like having multiple screens when the border on the screen is so thick.

Hmm...

Got a G27, and thats good enough for me. Got a decent surround system aswell.

I'd love to go triple screen, but I don't have the space for that. And I really don't like having multiple screens when the border on the screen is so thick.

Hmm...

What about the buttkickers and simvibe? They work great with iRacing, Rfactor, GTR etc.

I didn't think it would work as well as it does. After a wheel it's the best upgrade I have done to my setup. If I had to pick between simvibe and triple screens I would go with simvibe. It's actually pretty amazing how well it works. you can feel every little bump on the track and suspension movement.

As for the GPU, if you are wanting another one just list you PC specs and someone will elt you know what you need or if it will work right away. I'm guessing it will work fine since you ahve such a large power supply. There wouldn't be a point in putting such a big pwer supply if the PC wasn't ready to run multiple graphics cards.

I don't think a simvibe will do me any good...

I mean, I don't see the need in it for me. I only play for fun and enjoyment.

The specs are mentioned in the OP.

Your motherboard will handle 4 graphics cards.
That's a pretty crazy PC you have there.

As for not needing simvibe because you only play for fun and enjoyment. That's the only reason any of us do this. It just adds to that. It's force feedback for your seat.

Your monitor is 120hz also so another graphics card would help.
Where did you get that PC? It's hard to believe you would have that high end of a computer and not know more about them.

Your motherboard will handle 4 graphics cards.
Oh? I thought 3 was max on it. Well that's good news, though I might never get use for 4 cards. ;)
That's a pretty crazy PC you have there.
:D
As for not needing simvibe because you only play for fun and enjoyment. That's the only reason any of us do this. It just adds to that. It's force feedback for your seat.
Ehh, it would ruin my old recliner.
Looks like this, just older.
renzo%20recliner%20sort%20l%C3%A6der-t.jpg

Your monitor is 120hz also so another graphics card would help.
Where did you get that PC? It's hard to believe you would have that high end of a computer and not know more about them.
Got it from this website. It's in norwegian though, so you might have some difficulties understanding it. ;)
http://www.komplett.no/k/k.aspx

I've been using laptops for years, but when I moved out 6 months ago I finally bought a real gaming beast that i've always wanted.
Also, i've never been that into technology and such (before now)... I'm more of a car and football enthusiast. :D

Back