A GTA SA "Windows XP" installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Demory

Formerly known as “Crooooooow”
Premium
United States
Dallas, TX
I am just trying to install GTA SA for my DELL Inspiron E1505, but when I click on the "Install.exe" it then shows up with this message:

Archive: /media/cdrom0/Bin/gdiplus.dll
[/media/cdrom0/Bin/gdiplus.dll]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
note: /media/cdrom0/Bin/gdiplus.dll may be a plain executable, not an archive
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /media/cdrom0/Bin/gdiplus.dll or
/media/cdrom0/Bin/gdiplus.dll.zip, and cannot find /media/cdrom0/Bin/gdiplus.dll.ZIP, period.

I need serious help with this. I was working my ass off downloading all sorts of files on my pc, but now since I got a laptop, I tried it, and it got somewhere, but only to the a pop-up with all of the things for the game.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!

Could you give me a screenshot of what happens exactly? I may, or more likely, may not be able to help you with this.

Right now, it looks like the installer is missing a plugin it needs to work.

Also, what medium are you working with, a literal CD, or is it an iso image?

I will give a screenshot soon.
What do you think the type of plug-in is?
I am using a cd.

Aha! I did a little bit of googling, and I found that it's similar to a problem I had when playing GTA.

You need to find another copy of gdiplus.dll (Try google) and then you need to put that in the system32 folder.

After that, you need to register it by going to start>run>"regsvr32 gdiplus.dll".

See if that works.

When it is downloaded, I double-clicked it in the downloads box, and came up with this error message:
Archive: /home/ericdemory/Desktop/pcmedkit_setup.exe
[/home/ericdemory/Desktop/pcmedkit_setup.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/ericdemory/Desktop/pcmedkit_setup.exe or
/home/ericdemory/Desktop/pcmedkit_setup.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/ericdemory/Desktop/pcmedkit_setup.exe.ZIP, period.

Is it running on XP?

Seriously, that's all the advice I can give you. Find that plugin, most likely by simply googling it, make sure it's the correct plugin, stick it in the system 32 folder, under the Windows folder, you'll see it when you select "My Computer', and run regsvr32 gdiplus.dll. Anything more than that, and I'm lost. So, keep trying.

My laptop is XP. Even though when I try to activate the file, it just comes up with the same error message.

My laptop is XP. Even though when I try to activate the file, it just comes up with the same error message.

Okay, here we go.

Google "gdiplus.dll".
doyouunderstand1.jpg

In this case, we will click on the first link.
doyouunderstand2.jpg

You will get a link that says to download this plugin, and follow it to the actual download of the zip file.
doyouunderstand3.jpg

In this case, we will simply save to desktop.
doyouunderstand4.jpg

Here, we will unzip it, I've got WinRAR, so, yeah. Unzip to desktop.
doyouunderstand5.jpg

Bring up "My Computer".
doyouunderstand6.jpg

Go to "WINDOWS".
doyouunderstand7.jpg

Then scroll down to system32.
doyouunderstand8.jpg

That lonely old plugin on the desktop? Drag it to this folder.
doyouunderstand9.jpg

Then, exit out. Go to start, and click on "run".
doyouunderstand10.jpg

Type what you see here, or copy and paste "regsvr32 gdiplus.dll", and select OK.

Are we good?

Sorry to say Stigs, but I just noticed that my laptop was XP, but is actually Ubuntu. This laptop used to be my sister's. Sorry Stigs.

I KNEW IT! I ****ING KNEW IT!

Well, I assume you'll need to put Ubuntu into compatibility mode with Windows, I'm fairly certain you can do it.

I KNEW IT! I ****ING KNEW IT!

Well, I assume you'll need to put Ubuntu into compatibility mode with Windows, I'm fairly certain you can do it.

Ubuntu doesn't have a compatability mode.

Linux does however, have a program called WINE that does actually emulate (in a way) the Windows operating system in any form of Linux Operating system. It should work in Ubuntu, although you will be forewarned that your mileage may vary depending on whether the developers who created WINE has the correct files and so on for the program to load GTA:SA inside WINE. And even if you have it loaded in WINE, it could be unplayable due to software and hardware limitations. The WINE program is available at http://www.winehq.com. Although I have used it in the past, I am quite rusty now due to lack of time currently.....*sigh*.

Best thing to do is to have a virtual desktop of Windows XP inside Ubuntu if you do not want to have file incompatability problems. However considering the original poster has a laptop, I will surmise that it will be quite slow to run....Unless of course, GTA:SA has (by some bizarre voodoo) a Linux installation files (unlikely).

Please do tell us if you ever got it working in Ubuntu as I do have Ubuntu on one of my desktops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back